Next Thread
Print Thread
#778970 10/23/03 04:06 AM
X
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
X
Okay so the other day I got in my car and shifted it to drive and nothing happened. I waited about 10 seconds and it finally shifted into gear. Then as I'm driving it starts slipping out of gear but eventually sticks. A day later I shift it into drive and nothing happens at all. So I've been driving it around in 2nd gear most of the time. If I drive in 2nd til I get to about 30-35mph and then shift it into drive it will go but not any slower than that. If I go below 30 after shifting into drive it slips out of gear. Has anybody had this problem or know what the problem is? I'd appreciate any help.

btw I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this because I'm not sure what category to post it on. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Joe --------- Red '95 Contour GL
#778971 10/23/03 04:24 AM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
I believe mine was giving me the early signs of what you are experiencing. It seemed like it was taking just a split second too long to shift into gear when I put it into drive. I think it scared me because I have done more maintence and modifications to the trans since it happened then I ever have. In the last couple of days it has recieved its first ( ) mini-service and today it recieved the biggest tranny cooler I could fit.

If you are intrested in what I found, head over to the transmission forum and look for 'Im Scared (ATX)' you can read about what I had happen.

From what I have found, yours *may* be the range sensor. Perhaps it is as simple as the car doesnt see that it is in drive. Thats only about a ~$30 repair.

Someone with more knowledge of the CD4E will come along and hopefully shed some more light on this for you. Perhaps some more info on your car may be helpful. How many miles? What kind of maintence have you done? etc...

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
#778972 10/23/03 06:33 AM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by xcigamxkcalbx:
Okay so the other day I got in my car and shifted it to drive and nothing happened. I waited about 10 seconds and it finally shifted into gear. Then as I'm driving it starts slipping out of gear but eventually sticks. A day later I shift it into drive and nothing happens at all. So I've been driving it around in 2nd gear most of the time. If I drive in 2nd til I get to about 30-35mph and then shift it into drive it will go but not any slower than that. If I go below 30 after shifting into drive it slips out of gear. Has anybody had this problem or know what the problem is? I'd appreciate any help.

btw I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this because I'm not sure what category to post it on. Anyways, thanks in advance.

have you checked the fluid level?

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
#778973 10/23/03 01:00 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by lobudgetraceing:
Originally posted by xcigamxkcalbx:

have you checked the fluid level?

I agree with checking the fluid level, but also check it's condition. If discolored or smells burnt, do a four quart change. If I had to place an answer on what might be wrong right now, I would have to say that your pump might be going out. Samething happened to SpeedDemon a few weeks or so ago.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#778974 10/23/03 08:27 PM
X
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
X
Well I took it to the shop and he said I'm gonna need a new transmission and it's gonna cost $1800. My car's not even worth that much lol. The car's got almost 130k on it. Anybody want it?

Joe --------- Red '95 Contour GL
#778975 10/24/03 07:29 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I would like to look at it . P M me and I might take it off your hands . You can keep all your mods. I think what the repair quote you have .... you could buy a contour that ran good for 1,800.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard