Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#66444 07/17/02 06:07 PM
C
OP Offline
C
My 99 se 5-speed developed a problem shifting into third and on occassion 5th. If I am "racing" or even just shifting normally into 3rd, it grinds unless I shift it really slowly into gear. It's not a huge problem with daily driving because I can just shift like that or I just skip third and go right to 4th or 5th gear if accelerating hard. Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea what it could be? I've heard that these cars have some tranny issues. FYI car has about 70k miles on it it has been doing this for sometime now

#66445 07/17/02 06:13 PM
R
R
Hi,

Sounds like synchro-MESS. I had the synchro for my 2nd gear done. Intermittent grinding when shifting into 2nd.

Good luck.
Rob

95 Contour LX
Approximately 120,000miles
2.5 MTX
Red
#66446 07/17/02 06:27 PM
R
Ray Offline
R
Hey, man... sorry that I can't provide any help, here... but I was just going to relay my information, too.. you can let me know how much this applies to you.

My car: 98.5 SVT, 44k
My Symptoms:
On occasion: I am in neutral (for instance, when I first get ready to pull out of the drive...) I clutch in, and shift to first. It feels as if I am in first, according to the shifter, but when I release the clutch, I grind, and have to "re-shift".

Shifting hard from 1-2, hardly EVER goes in gear, if I go fast... I used to think that it had something to do with being high-revved, but I notice now that even if I high-rev, I can shift slow, and it slides in place.

Same problem sometimes, from 2-3.

Just seems that the gears aren't engaging "completely" or something.. Feels completely solid, but just grinds on release of the clutch.

Perhaps it is the clutch, needing to be bled, is all I have been told, though the clutch feels REALLY solid.

Let me know how close those symptoms are to you, (with the difference of the gear numbers, I know...)

HTH..

Ray

Check out my car!! (Profile Registry)

Have a Nextel two-way? check out my registry for my number!

Ray Haralson
Jacksonville, FL
s_r_haralson@sar.med.navy.mil
srh@texas.net

YIM: midnghtflm
AIM: midnghtflm

NEWEST MOD: a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend for my one and only passenger.
#66447 07/17/02 06:30 PM
S
S
Deffinately bad syncro's.

my 2nd gear syncro was just fixed while Terry had my trans. Same problem, changing gears during "normal" driving was fine, but if I was racing/high rev gear changes (red line) it would grind for a few seconds then engage with a bit of force.

It depends on how "bad" your syncro('s) is(are) as to how bad it(they) grind('s) and when.

Simon W. Las Vegas.
96 SE V6 MTX Tereador Red (1st Blown Engine, better be the last!)
1999 SVT Engine
SVT Exhaust w/custom DTM Tips and optimized Y-pipe and no Res (thanks to Po-Jay!). LSD Quaife(thanks to Terry!), SCA CAI w/KKM, Grizzly clutch, FMS 9mm wires, Airknights custom short shifter.

"You can only get more rice at one time by ordering Chinese" - Davo7SVT
"it's only nuts and bolts" - Terry Haines
"Drive it like you stole it" - Me!
#66448 07/17/02 06:32 PM
R
Ray Offline
R
typical price for repair?

lemme guess... gotta drop the sub-frame, to get the damn tranny out, so pay labor for R&R...
plus labor to replace... plus WHAT for the parts??

Ray

Check out my car!! (Profile Registry)

Have a Nextel two-way? check out my registry for my number!

Ray Haralson
Jacksonville, FL
s_r_haralson@sar.med.navy.mil
srh@texas.net

YIM: midnghtflm
AIM: midnghtflm

NEWEST MOD: a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend for my one and only passenger.
#66449 07/17/02 06:44 PM
T
T
FYI, just ONE (the 'cone') of the dual blocker rings on a syncro (Ford part only) is $43..!...If you find its only happening during 'sprited' driving try using DextronIII Vs Syth trans fluid and add the Ford Friction mod..this helps the syncros work better...if that doesn't help its a trans strip...sorry .....I do them every day!

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
#66450 07/17/02 08:00 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Ray, sounds EXACTLY like my problem. I'm going to try Terry's suggestion on changing up the fluid and hope that it helps out. BTW, I just started checking this site out last week and couldn't help but notice how helpful everyone seems to be. Glad I posted and glad to be a part of the "contour family"

Thanks again
Dave

#66451 07/17/02 10:13 PM
T
T
....welcome to land of broken trans..... wink

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard