Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Janine Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK...I've read the tons of posts over the months & the FAQ on the tranny cocktail, & the TSB from Ford on the new Ford synthetic ATF fluid recommended for the MTX 75 transmission.

My question is, does anyone really know for certain if the super expensive stuff from Ford is better than using regular synthetic ATF (Mobil 1 or Redline) plus the Ford friction modifier? I read on some newsgroups that it is. (But they probably aren't as sharp as you folks! laugh However, FWIW, one comment was from a Ford tech who uses it in his own vehicles.) Also, seems that Ford is saying that you don't use the FM w/the new synthetic stuff? Or don't have to? The TSB on the new fluid says nothing about adding FM when using it. So if someone did decide to spend mucho $$$$ for the new Ford fluid, should you add the FM too, or would it be unnecessary, or would it not be a good idea for some reason?

So the fact that you folks are recommending using the FM w/reg synthetic ATF implies that the Ford stuff must be different, & you are trying to approximate it??? (I know Ford says you must use the FM w/regular non-synthetic ATF.)

I really want this transmission to last, & am willing to spend some cash to take good care of it, but I don't want to throw away $$$$ on the new fluid if it isn't any better than other brands of synthetic + FM.

Thanks for any input! smile

'96 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 MTX Teal
Purchased New - 9/95
43,000 Miles - I Know, I Need To Get That Water Pump Replaced!!
K&N Air Filter/K&N Oil Filter, Castrol Full Synthetic Oil - Switching to Mobile 1
Advance Auto Salesperson (When Not Working At My Reg Job [Wildlife Biologist])
(Hey, Why Not - I Get A 20% Discount & Have Access To All The Parts Catalogs!!!!)
S
S
Mobil 1 or redline is just as good. Save yourself the $$$.

Simon W. Las Vegas.
96 SE V6 MTX Tereador Red (1st Blown Engine, better be the last!)
1999 SVT Engine
SVT Exhaust w/custom DTM Tips and optimized Y-pipe and no Res (thanks to Po-Jay!). LSD Quaife(thanks to Terry!), SCA CAI w/KKM, Grizzly clutch, FMS 9mm wires, Airknights custom short shifter.

"You can only get more rice at one time by ordering Chinese" - Davo7SVT
"it's only nuts and bolts" - Terry Haines
"Drive it like you stole it" - Me!
R
R
Not really an answer, but I just paid the $$ for the Ford stuff and it has been just fine for about 20K miles now. Nothing extra added. GL!

'98 SE V-6 5-spd ASB Silver stock
48K miles in May '02
Like it for Oregon coast canyons!
B
B
I think that I remember reading that Terry, the MTX-75 expert, recommends using the friction modifier with whatever fluid is used. It does make a difference.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I think that I remember reading that Terry, the MTX-75 expert, recommends using the friction modifier with whatever fluid is used. It does make a difference.
Yes he did say that.

Personally I would go with a known Full synthetic ATF (Like Mobil 1) over the "unknown" synthetic mix of the Ford honey colored fluid.
Especially for 1/3 (or less) the cost!

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
T
T
Synth is good for helping 'cold shift' issues but does nothing to help the syncros which need friction to work,hence the friction mod additive.Ford synth is way too expensive and a good brand of non Ford atf will do the job.The key to all these 'fixes' is the internals of the trans and the 'latest revision' levels of components.For example the latest MTX's in the Focus & Mondeo have many changes from transmissions fitted to current Cougars and even 'the last' Contours..my take on the whole tranny issue is the lubes alone will not save you from some of the early trans problems it just buys a bit of time.Ford would not have redesigned many of the internal components if it was not an design/engineering issue with this trans.At the moment I have 20 MTX's on hand and in repair in the shop...read into that what you will! wink

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
S
S
I have the Ford fluid plus the friction modifier and have not noticed a improvement in cold morning shifts. Now that it is summertime it shifts great. I am going to change it before winter with either Mobil 1 or Redline. Not worth the $14.95 a quart.

T
T
As I said,without some/all of the post 2000 level transmission internal 'improved/revised' parts you can still have the cold shift/hard engage/bad sycro/diff side gear issues.....the 'lubes' are a 'band aid'...sorry but thats the way it is & I doubt if you will get the straight story from a dealer either..'how do we know?....because we have stripped,repaired & upgraded MTX75's dating from 1995 to present day..I know what makes them 'tick'... wink

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
J
Janine Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the input & info! smile

I guess I'll go with Mobil One + FM. (The Ford syn fluid is just a syn mix??)

Do you have to get the FM from Ford, or does someone else have it cheaper? Do we know who makes it for Ford? Same as other brand FM's?

Does anyone know if these trannys came from the factory w/the FM already in them? My '96 Ford Shop Manual, which I purchased at the time I bought my '96 Contour new, in 9/95, says to add the FM anytime any fluid is added or changed. So they knew in '95 that it needed it, just wondering if they figured that out before or after my car was built. confused

Also, here's a tip to help w/hard shifing. With every manual trans I have ever had, when shifting into first or reverse, I always pull it into second gear, first, then into first or reverse gear...it just takes a second & comes as second nature for me, as I have been doing it forever - don't even think about it. It always slides right into first or reverse very easily when I do this. I have a '74 Mustang II that my family also bought new, & I learned this trick back when I was stuggling with it - it would grind when going into first if I didn't do this. Like my Contour, from day one, it just didn't like to go into first. I just figured it was a quirk w/these cars & no big deal. I know w/many older vehicles you had to do this to prevent grinding, so I tried it w/the Mustang - worked like a charm, & have been doing it ever since. It has to be easier on the trans, right? No grinding, no forcing necessary.

'96 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 MTX Teal
Purchased New - 9/95
43,000 Miles - I Know, I Need To Get That Water Pump Replaced!!
K&N Air Filter/K&N Oil Filter, Castrol Full Synthetic Oil - Switching to Mobile 1
Advance Auto Salesperson (When Not Working At My Reg Job [Wildlife Biologist])
(Hey, Why Not - I Get A 20% Discount & Have Access To All The Parts Catalogs!!!!)
T
T
The best tip for shifting into first/rev from start is to start in neutral and take your foot off the clutch when it starts and blip the throttle.The lube in the trans is not doing anything with the clutch depressed, when you let it up in neutral it at least 'splashes' the selectors to help engage 1st/rev gears (due to the fact this is a constant mesh trans)..

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard