Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
j4g Offline OP
OP Offline
J
the '00 CSVT is getting this rattling noise coming from the engine, and after it became unbearable, we took it to the dealership. The mechanic there thinks it sounds like a broken cam or something. After reading a post in the Troubleshooting section, it sounds like this is something that might have happened to someone else, and the mechanic could be wrong. Never the less, we don't want the dealer to work on the engine.

Anybody in the area know of a good performance shop for engine work? We wanna have it looked at, and if the cam assembly is indeed trashed, we will consider an engine swap.

Last edited by j4g; 10/14/03 10:23 PM.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Is the car running?
How many miles?
It could be the timing chain tensioner.
It could be the precats are falling apart.

There is a shop in Billerica

FLM Automotive (Ford Lincoln Mercury)

His name is Victor.
He is a certified Ford mechanic but has his own shop.

Good Luck

I am a troll.......... 2004 C5 Corvette Coupe, Mag Red/Light Oak, Auto Polished Wheels, Titanium Exhaust 2002 Chevy Malibu V6, remote start
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Mike's family has always gone to Holts Autosport in Merrimack and they have always had good experiences with them.
Andy there does great work and he's honest.
His solution isn't always to buy all brand new parts when fixing something doesn't always require it (much like a dealership does).
He's seen the GL a couple times and I have no complaints.

not too far from your neck of the woods either...

HOLTS AUTOSPORT
1 COLUMBIA CIR, MERRIMACK, NH 03054
Phone: (603) 423-0007

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
J
j4g Offline OP
OP Offline
J
BeachBum - it does run, and it has 85,000 miles on it.
do you bring your SVT to that shop in billerica? I'm just a little bit wary about whether or not the mechanic is familiar with SVT's.

FrenchBlueC2 - Is Holt's good at engine rebuilds and custom work? We may want to do an engine swap regardless of whether or not this one is hosed.

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
before you go and condem the engine make sure there are no loose or broken parts on the engine or its accessories. A simple broken weld on a catalytic converter heat shield can make a loud and unbearable rattling sound.

Your sound could bne anything. I doubt its a broken cam becasue the engine still runs good. One possible casue may be a failed timing chain tensioner and the rattling sound you hear is the timing chain bouncing against its case.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
sounds like my problem i had.
it was quiet at idle but sounded like a rattle in the motor when you revved it up or under acceleration.

still ran great, had tons of power.
but the motor was junk. they told me it was loose wrist pins.
and it was covered under warranty.
so me gots a new motor. they said it was a factory defect for 98's

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I've got a good mechanic for you, but hes outside of worcester, MA. might be a bit far for you. he's worked on mine as well as other svts.....

lemme know

For Sale: 1998.5 Silver Frost SVT. Vortech supercharger, ShoShop Y Pipe, Borla catback, DMD, Spec Stage II clutch, Quaife LSD, B+M shifter, Ground control coilovers, Koni struts and much more. see classifieds....

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard