Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Well the day has come that i am forced to find a car that is easier on insurance....I am selling my 98 se and looking at my bosses VW Golf GL. she is asking 7k (canadian) it has 91,000km on it, auto, 2L. pretty basic stuff......anyway i was wondering, before i get flammed, what any of you know about this car? What are some of the weak points? for instance, the waterpump on the 2.5, are there similar user known issues with this vehicle?

and i know what most will say, but honestly, how will it compare to my contour?

any open advice is more then welcome,
Thanks a lot,
john

Works on contingency, no money down.....oh wait let me change a few things....Works on Contingency? NO, Money Down!!!! 98 Se in the works.... Looking for, 18'rs-6 or RS-5's SVT rear FOUND!!! SVT front (thanks SVTCuervo)
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
If it has power windows, the window regulators are prone to failure from what I hear.

The 2.0 is a solid powerplant, but won't impress anyone with performance. Oil consumption tends to be high, but it's apprently quite normal on those motors.

Depending on the power equipment on the car (probably not much), VW had troubles with electrical gremlins that they seem to have gotten under control, but may affect that car.

You may want to visit vw vortex and look through the boards there, it's a great site as well.

1999 Red / Tan SVT #1969 of 2760 Built 4/21/99 K&N, DMD, FMS Wires, ES Insert / Bushings, PF End Links 17" FSVT 5-Spokes Factory Spoiler 35% Tint All Around
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I'll try to help since my Jetta is basically a Golf with a trunk.

Things to look for:

Power window problems (if equipped, since it's a GL, most likely not). They like to cause headaches.

Sunroof (if equipped). They like to leak and jam up.

Make sure the central locking works and alarm arms/disarms.

The rear defroster doesn't have a timer so be sure to turn it off manually.

Even though the fuel door looks like it has a remote release, it doesn't. Just push on the fuel door at the point nearest the rear passenger door and it'll flip open. Sneaky.

The 2.0 is a good motor, although a bit slow, especially with automatic. No real issues with the transmission.

The A3's are blessed with a nice climate control system (IMHO far superior to the one in my old Contour) but it does have it faults, for example the AC condensation drains on A3's love to plug up. The drain flap is accesible through the firewall, albiet not "easily" accesible in a TDI due to the turbo.

Be careful when changing a front turn signal bulb, the housings are plastic and the mounts can break rather easily.

Timing belt. Like the TDI engine, the timing belt in the 2.0 needs to be replaced at regular intervals. 60,000 miles (or 96,000 km) is the interval in the TDI and I assume the 2.0, not sure. A broken timing belt in either engine can lead to nasty results so make sure you replace it on time. Be SURE to replace the tensioner too, not just the belt.

VW waterpumps are one of the weaker points. Give it a once-over when you replace the timing belt, since you're going to be down there anyways.

Not sure when VW switched but the more recent A3's and the current A4's use a special coolant mixture that while it looks like red Dexcool, it isn't dexcool and is only sold through VW dealers. DON'T mix it with Dexcool unless in an emergency.

Be sure to get a Bentley repair manual. I have one and it's bar none the best for VW's!

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
see this list...sheesh, VW

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by mycainsbroken:
see this list...sheesh, VW

The list for Contours is just as long if not longer so I wouldn't pass judgement, smartguy.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
when i was shopping for golfs i read about a lot of complaints with the seals on the windows deteroriating, including the window in the hatch. the particular golf i was looking at had rot or something on the back window seal.

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.

Link Copied to Clipboard