Next Thread
Print Thread
#761464 10/01/03 08:41 PM
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Car went in for the leaky crankshaft rear oil seal.....

New engine is not an option($$$$) nor is swapping the crank.The only ideas at the moment are:- rub out the rust with VERY fine rubbing paper and /or fit a sleave over the crank.Talking to a Ford tech they have used the sleave method before-i'm ringing the company in the morning.Is it worth trying just rubbing the rust out or would this require a sleave and is this a good idea?? Thanks for any input you can offer. BTW,the damage has been caused by storing the engine incorrectly-would have been nice if the person who sold it and fitted it had been honest-cost me £1481 ($2369) so far.......

Mondeo V6 RS RS Bodykit RS Lowered SVT UIM SVT TB SVT LIM Philips 6000K HID ZENON Twin Stainless Exhaust
#761465 10/01/03 09:10 PM
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
I'd dress it down in a similar manner to polishing a crankshaft. If the pits aren't too deep it shouldn't take too long to do. However be careful to not let particles get into that rear main bearing and thrust washer right there. Might end up needing to tear down the bottom end to do it properly if that's an option for you.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
This is beyond my limited scope of automotive expertise. Personally, I don't like band-aid approaches. I like to fix it, or improve it. Just stickin' my finger in the dike is not my style.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
This is beyond my limited scope of automotive expertise. Personally, I don't like band-aid approaches. I like to fix it, or improve it. Just stickin' my finger in the dike is not my style.

me too,but sometimes the $$$$ available dictate things A bottom end strip down isn't an option either,the dealer values the car at $1140 and charge $80 per hour,the car's like new(see in the pictures section!!) but isn't worth dick.....

Mondeo V6 RS RS Bodykit RS Lowered SVT UIM SVT TB SVT LIM Philips 6000K HID ZENON Twin Stainless Exhaust
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Sleeves work. Properly installed, they give a fresh, flat and clean surface. The key is proper installation. If the install area is not clean, or if the damage the sleeve installing it, then it won't be good. But they could fudge up anything, so any work is a risk. I would consider the sleeve if I trusted the tech doing it.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Just like Buckshot said, I would clean it up and see how it looks. If it cleans up perfectly, install a new seal and be done with it. If in doubt, install the sleeve, but only after you have cleaned it very well. It should not be difficult to clean and keep the debris out of the bearings. This is not as big of a problem as it may first seem. It is highly unlikely that you will need to pull the crank out.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thanks for tye comments guy's,Ford dealers over here don't tend to be the best but this is a new garage i'm trying and so far they've been really good.They phoned me up and allowed me to take the pictures,i was talking to the tech doing it and he said if it were him he would try rubbing it down.Think it's worth a shot I've found a company that installs the sleaves on site-a friend who is a tech at another dealership has used them without trouble.

Link Copied to Clipboard