Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65376 07/05/02 08:08 PM
F
OP Offline
F
To all owners of duratec 2.5L mad

If you havent changed your water pump yet you should seriously think about getting it replace with an all steel one ASAP. eek

Mine just gave up at 53,000 kilometers. The pump and some other parts have been changed. The engine now feels like it has 100,000 more k on it. mad My extended waranty is expiring next august 28. mad

Don't know what to do yet but it looks like I'm going to arm wrestle with Ford.

I just love my car and especialy the engine. But now I'm puzzeled and don't know were to start.

Both in April Ford Countour SE
5MTX 1996/27kilo.
I intend to by a set of MSDS headers with some good low rumbling tone like at South County Motor. I having the upper intake extruded &honed. Change TB with SVT.
By a Pro-Flow 75 maf. Diablo chip on Top. IF and only if I'm happy with the results. A Quaifle T/b diff. IF my Girlfriend can still stand my driving (she does not drive) a New Radiator (the one that pushes 11 PSI into the intake manifold) I think that this engine would be proud to put 300hp on the asphalt.
S
S
I just changed my pump today with a new motorcraft unit . Old one started to leak but still worked fine .98 Mystique 2.5 , 102000km.

F
OP Offline
F
Good for you guy!

How would you rate the wear of your engine compared to what it was.

By the way the engine in my car is fried but still run's fine according to my ford dealer.

I was running it on amsoil 0w30 racing.
This saved the engine but now it has no torque.

I must get it to a compression check.

By the could anybody tell me what the compression
should be on a bran new engine.

To my opinion this engine needs a new set of pistons and rings.

I'll keep you posted confused

5MTX 1996/27kilo.
I intend to by a set of MSDS headers with some good low rumbling tone like at South County Motor. I having the upper intake extruded &honed. Change TB with SVT.
By a Pro-Flow 75 maf. Diablo chip on Top. IF and only if I'm happy with the results. A Quaifle T/b diff. IF my Girlfriend can still stand my driving (she does not drive) a New Radiator (the one that pushes 11 PSI into the intake manifold) I think that this engine would be proud to put 300hp on the asphalt.
R
R
I have a 98 Ford Contour and just recently had to replace the water pump with 2 other things. The parts were 200.00 and was charged 65.00 an hour for 7.50 hours of work, so for a total of over 700.00 for a water pump. I wanted one that was not plastic but was told I had to get the one that went with the car. This car has cost me so much.

F
OP Offline
F

5MTX 1996/27kilo.
M
Online Content
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Robina:
I have a 98 Ford Contour and just recently had to replace the water pump with 2 other things. The parts were 200.00 and was charged 65.00 an hour for 7.50 hours of work, so for a total of over 700.00 for a water pump. I wanted one that was not plastic but was told I had to get the one that went with the car. This car has cost me so much.
You got screwed. Sorry. I did mine on my driveway using the how-to from here in ~2.5 hrs with interruption's. Total cost ~$100 for w/pump, t/stat and beer.

Ford service should be ashamed of themselves.

'98 Mystique LS V6 MTX

"Unprofessional driver, wide open course."
#9 - Hitting .400 for ever
"Wake up the damn Bambino; I'll drill him in the ass." -- Pedro Martinez
"The MTX75 was not designed to be a drag racing transmission" -- Terry Haines
J
J
Well,

If Robina's car is a Zetec, then the screwing was only half as bad as one might think. The Zetec waterpump is driven by the cam belt.

7.5 hours does sound a bit high. I wonder if Big Jim can chime in on the "book time" for a Zetec waterpump. Might as well let us know what the book time is for the Duratec as well wink

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
S
S
Mine went bad at 56K MILES which is around the most prevalent mileage figure. It cost $450 to replace at the dealer, but that included replacing my Idle Air Control Valve as well. I agree my engine does not feel as strong now. I think it overheated before I caught it...possibly with my daughter driving. Then again I could just be used to the Altima's power now. wink

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
F
OP Offline
F
Yes the engine might have overheat, mine did pretty bad they all do once the pump gives up
by the time you notice the temp gage It's already
done.

I'm going to get a compression check on all cylinders somewhere else.

I'm schedule again at the dealer.

The engine doesn't take it's gaz, smells gaz, ping's heavy on acceleration and misfires at WOT.

I have some serious douts about the engine now

I will see soon.

5MTX 1996/27kilo.
R
R
I just got a 95 Contour with the 2.5V6. On day one it developed a "clicking" sound which I am pretty sure is a valve. On day two, the AC went out. On day three, the water pump went. The belt is new and all the pullies are turning. There also wasn't any heavy junk in the crankcase which might account for the clicking sound not showing up when I first got the car. In addition, the clicking sound dissapears when the temp gauge gets to the "A" in NORMAL. My instincts tell me that the clicking sound is, in fact, a valve (I have no idea how to adjust the valves on an OHC engine, though). My wishfull thinking side is hoping that the sound is coming from the water pump itself, although I'm not sure how that would be possible. Anybody had anything similar happen to them? I am not looking forward to either paying a mechanic or working inside this car's non-existant engine bay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard