Next Thread
Print Thread
#757883 09/27/03 06:18 AM
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Lately I have noticed a stronge gas smell in the cabin of my car, it smells just like natural gas. Heres the deal, I searched the forum and havent found anything like this. I only notice the smell when the car has been parked. When the car is running/driving I dont smell the gas but when I walk back to my car later and open the door I get hit with the strong gas smell. Whats the deal and help or suggestions would be great! This summer I changes the fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, fule filter and recently had the coolant and power steerind flushed. What should I do next??

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Have you by chance cleaned your intake manifolds out? I did this and when putting the fuel rail back together the little o-ring tore and I had a fuel leak at the fuel rail... Prime your line and have a friend check to see if any fuel leaks/sprays out right there... If not, go back and check everything you've replaced... If that all checks out, check all your lines... Possible you have a fuel line leak...

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I have no idea what it is, but I have noticed the same thing in mine occasionally. Not often, just now and then.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
its most likely a sulfur or rotten egg smell...check your cat...ill bet its clogged.

X
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
I havent cleaned anything with the intake so I dont thinkI have the same problem. I guess there could be a leak somewhere but after parking I dont see any wet spots. Do you think it could be the cat? I have 70K on it. I just realized that I dont smell this "gas" if the car has sit a long time like over nite. It only seems to happen after it has been sitting for after I drove it and get back it to go somewhere. I have also noticed a decrease in gas millage over the last month or two bu tI think that is related to a spark problem, because that is what I have been told on this forum because my car shudders and bucks when at a 1/4 tank or less. Does anyone know of a problem that could link all 3 of these issues? What is my nex step? Thanks

PS sorry about the first post and all its errors including the title. It was late and I was tired

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Clogged cats sound possible, especially with the decrease in gas mileage you mentioned. I noticed a big difference in how hard I had to press the gas pedal to go up common hills in my area. The missing and sputtering may be some other ignition realated problem. I didn't see anyone mention the cabin air filter under the wiper arm panel, but this filter can get nasty and leave an odor in the cabin when it gets old.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
clogged cats sound very possible. with that misfire...sometimes gas escapes into the exhaust system during a misfire and when that cylinder finally does fire, it ignites the gas in the manifold and essentially "bakes" the brick in your cat. if you have little chunks of clay like material (hardened) in your tailpipe after driving, this is what it is. if not, i would most likely say clogged cats. take it to a mechanic if you cant gut it yourself.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I got the same problem and I just bought a new ypipe (including cat). There is a walkthrough somewhere on how replace the cabin air filter, I was gonna try that to fix it.

Also, check and make sure no liquids are leaking onto the exhaust and burning, that will make it up to your vents. good luck.

1995 Contour LX (ATX) KKM True Rev Sport Induction ( Video ) Alpine CDA-7894 / JBL 1200W AMP 12" MTX Subs 5x7 Alpine Mids Brullen mandrel bent quasi-dual exaust
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Thanks I have a cabin air filter that I have been meaning to change out for a while now. I will have to have the cats looked at. Thanks for all the advice-Doug

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard