Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
builder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I know the best bet would be to have a shop do it, but I am pretty broke at the moment frown and need a bearing replaced. Have any of you done this? I know it may take awhile but I don't have anything to do tomorrow anyway. I have a bunch of tools but no special "car" tools.

happy 4th!

1995 Contour SE V6
B
builder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
bump

1995 Contour SE V6
B
B
Builder. Wheel bearings are very easy. I've never done it on a Contour, but if it's like any other American car, you can do it with $20 and no special tools. Everyone agree??? I work in Boston, so if you're interested, we could talk. -Brian.

W
W
NO WAY!

These bearings are press fit and require a hydraulic press to install. The bearing is about $40 and if you don't have your own press it will cost $15-20 more to have someone press it in, assuming you take the whole hub to them.

warmonger

You can call me anything you like as long as it's nice.(all lies accepted)
99 Silver Frost SVT. #226 of 2760
Engine: 3.0 power!
Unique Stuff: Sunroof control module (#1 of 9)
Car Audio: Loaded and loud!
Check them out at
http://home.earthlink.net/~twilson1726
B
builder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
$15-$20? i was told it would be around $150 for the part + install. if i bought the part myself where would be a good place to bring it and have it installed

builder@ziplip.com

1995 Contour SE V6
B
B
the install for a new bearing is fairly simple. You need to get the hub free and off the car. Then the new bearing is pressed into the hub. But be worned be carful who you take it to the may distoy the seal on the bearing. This happened to my father and we just replaced the bearing again the other weekend. He took it apart in a few hours on a sunday night. At work the next day pressed the new bearing in and had the car back together that night.

the bearing was around $50 and I am sure it is less then that to get a shop to press it in

Son - 1995 Mystique LS Zetec 5-spd --> newest "mod" -> a girlfriend by my side
Father - 1995 Contour SE Duratec 5-spd
Mother - 1999 Contour SE Sport Duratec 5-spd

My CEG Registry
My Car
My Home Page
J
J
builder,

Probably the best place to ask the question is the parts store that will sell you the bearing. If they can't tell you who can press out the old bearing and press in the new, find another parts store.

These folks should know who can do this for you and what they might charge.

HTH,

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
F
F
You can do the whole thing yourself.

Bearing's can be push in with a strong piece of wood and a sledge hammer.

Be delicate though laugh

Never done it on my car yet.

Take the time it's worth it.

Both in April Ford Countour SE
5MTX 1996/27kilo.
I intend to by a set of MSDS headers with some good low rumbling tone like at South County Motor. I having the upper intake extruded &honed. Change TB with SVT.
By a Pro-Flow 75 maf. Diablo chip on Top. IF and only if I'm happy with the results. A Quaifle T/b diff. IF my Girlfriend can still stand my driving (she does not drive) a New Radiator (the one that pushes 11 PSI into the intake manifold) I think that this engine would be proud to put 300hp on the asphalt.
A
A
I just had my bearing replaced. I was going to do it myself but I needed a torque wrench capable of 200 + foot pounds of torque for the hub nut. Those are hard to find but you can rent them. The dealer did mine for 84 bucks cuz I had no time and tool. The hub is a sealed unit. No pressing needed. The whole thing is replaced.

98 E0 with 110,000 and counting...
E
E
I did mine several months ago. The bearing itself was about $30 at Advanced or Autozone (I forget which). You need to take the hub off. I had a small machine shop press it for $10. Don't try it yourself, saving the $10-$15 "pressing fee" is not worth the risk of a DIY learning curve screwup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard