Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by akrump47:
Seems like around here (The heart of Ford Country) I see either old people or girls driving v6 mustangs. Otherwise its some poser or ricer who thinks his car is fast and tries to race everybody, or has riced it out and put Cobra badges on it.

Mustangs are muscle cars, so the only one to get is the v8 manual IMO. The rest are cars for people who just like to pretend they have something sporty!

I'm glad that sporty is solely defined by the number of cylinders in the motor. I am also happy that you are under the impression that all people buy their cars to be cool, rice them out, be posers, and that they all have to have them to race. Has it ever occured to you that a car can be purchased for the basic necessity of transportation?

Call me what you will, but I did not buy my car to appear cool to other people. I did not buy it to gain acceptance. I am cool without my car, and my friends were all with me before I even had one on campus. Those I meet now who need to look at my Camaro to accept me are not worth my time, and the same goes for those who look at my V6 and snub me off as a "poser" or "ricer" or think I am "pretending to have something sporty" as you like to put it. My car is fun because it runs and looks good to ME, NOT because I like to think it's the fastest car out there. In fact I found Camaro SS's that were cheaper than my base model (I did buy mine used), but aside from the fact that the SS's were higher mileage and appeared more ragged out, the lines of the spoiler and the presence of the V8 that drank more gas was not appealing to me. The car in reality serves as my commuter car, and not a race car. I chose a good combo of both- a sporty look and feel with the economy of a normal V6. If anyone should be accused of pretending, it should be those who pretend that the roads are their personal race track. As far as handling, show me a production car whose handling is a threat under normal driving conditions. It may be sloppy under NASCAR conditions, but the public roads are not Daytona.

If you want to judge what kind of car is fun, go drive it for yourself because people all have different opinions on what is fun. As far as reliability, the number of cylinders and looks are not relevant. Do the research and decide for yourself. That isn't something I or anyone else can tell you.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by SVTCuervo:
.........but its still one of a gazillion on the road. Anything other than an 03 cobra has no personality. The styling is crap, the interior is just nasty. Its a Ford with all the Squeeks and Rattles.

In my CSVT I turn heads. Its not a well know look. But on the other hand, I could be driving even an 03 cobra down the street, light up the tires, and let the supercharger wine like hell and still no one would think anything other than "wow its another stang".
/quote]

I don't see how a Contour is any less a Ford with all the squeaks and rattles. My SVT had them too.

I think your your evaluation of other people noticing your car quietly going down the street vs. another car, any one) with a loud exhaust and spinning tires is misconstrued. Maybe you would think, "oh, it's just another Mustang" but I suspect you are in the minority.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Drive what you are thinking about buying. If it doesn't impress you, then don't waste the money changing. Only you cand decide how it feels. A stock V6 Mustang would not impress me, auto or manual. Although, I suspect with the right tires, a light V6 manual coupe would actually do well at an autocross. There is something to be said for controlling the rear end with the throttle. I have seen some pretty wierd things at autocrosses. A GT stick can be had for under $20k and IMO is a heck of a deal.

To those of you who say a Cobra is the only Mustang you would consider, consider that it costs at least $10k more, probalby $15k. I think you would be very impressed with the performance of a GT compared to a Contour vs. spending 50% more for the same chasis.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

I mean buying a V6 Mustang is like taking your sister to the senior prom.

Hmmm... Older or younger sister?

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by SVTCuervo:

Anything other than an 03 cobra has no personality.

Ummm...Yeah...I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on this one. Other Mustangs worth mentioning:

2000 Cobra R - 385HP/385TQ
2003 Mach 1(Basically a 2001 Cobra with a live axel)

--Matt

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by mmars:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

I mean buying a V6 Mustang is like taking your sister to the senior prom.

Hmmm... Older or younger sister?

Lol

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by fenderman49:

The car in reality serves as my commuter car, and not a race car. I chose a good combo of both- a sporty look and feel with the economy of a normal V6.

So you want a "commuter car" with "economy" and a "sporty look and feel"? I believe a civic with a body kit, wing and fart can will fit the bill quite perfecly. Plus it will provide better fuel economy, more usablilty as "basic transportation" and more composed handling than your bulky Camaro.
I suppose that wouldnt matter to you however. Who cares about about steering feel and responsivness since they're both capable of turning a corner? This isnt NASCAR after all so it shouldn't matter right? Gee, maybe you're right about that, I think I'll go trade in my SVT for a Buick Century . . .

Originally posted by fenderman49:

I am also happy that you are under the impression that all people buy their cars to be cool, rice them out, be posers, and that they all have to have them to race.

Obviously you didn't actually read what I posted

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Your post really made me laugh. The virtual "sticking out your tongue" bit was what really got me. Thanks to you, my day now has some humor in it.

My dream car has always been a Camaro. However, I didn't need the top of the line Camaro to enjoy it because for me the Camaro simply looks good, handles good and drives good to ME. I didn't need the biggest V8 on the market to enjoy it. Again, to get it to handle like crap as is the case with the other cars on the market, I have to be doing something irrational or illegal.

I didn't buy a Honda Civic because to me it has no look to it and isn't comfortable or fitting when I sit in it. That's important for the long drives I take and is more of a concern than its engine size. Again, that is my right to say. If everyone felt the same way about a car's looks, we wouldn't need to have choices.... we would all drive the same car. Don't get me started on the whole wing on a FWD car... that's about the same as sticking slicks on the rear wheels of one. The fart cans to me are annoying. Yeah, I looked at the Civics too but the 4 cylinder was going to rag itself out on the interstate without question which is where I drive it most of the time. That's why I chose to get a car with at least a V6. My Camaro may be wider than a Civic, but again I don't notice the difference when driving the posted speed limits and using common sense when negotiating turns and pulling out from stop lights. And so what if I owned a Civic? Would I be less of a person? No. If you are that shallow to think of me that way, you aren't worth my time plain and simple.

As for not reading what you originally posted, I read every single word of it. But I'll post it verbatim (again) so that you cannot accuse me of not reading it.

"Seems like around here (The heart of Ford Country) I see either old people or girls driving v6 mustangs. Otherwise its some poser or ricer who thinks his car is fast and tries to race everybody, or has riced it out and put Cobra badges on it."

-> Ok, so tell me where in that part of it you complimented someone with a V6 Mustang? Here is who you have put in the driver's seat of the V6's.

-Old people
-Girls
-And if you aren't one of those (oops, sorry.... you put otherwise... big difference in meaning), you are a poser or ricer who thinks his car is fast or put Cobra badges on it.

Tell me where in that post you complimented anyone with a V6 Mustang who isn't old and isn't a girl. You called everyone else posers and ricers, which aren't exactly compliments.

"Mustangs are muscle cars, so the only one to get is the v8 manual IMO. The rest are cars for people who just like to pretend they have something sporty!"

-> Again, you have singled out those Mustang owners who don't have the V8 and automatically group them into a category of pretenders. Not exactly a compliment. And ummm, as for "muscle cars", the 65 Cobras and Dodge Vipers would make the Mustang's muscle look like Arnold Schwarzenegger standing next to your typical 120 lb. nerd (the latter of which is me ). The Mustang is not purely dedicated to the sports car class.... I believe that the 64 1/2 that started the Mustang name was available with an inline 6 and auto tranny. The V8 Mustang was the one regarded as the sports car, not the entire Mustang line.

I never told you to trade your car in on something else. I would hope that the majority of people who have cars have them because they love them. The thing is I don't feel that it is right to go attacking someone else's car because their car isn't cool to you or fast enough for you. It's alright to say that you like a particular model of Mustang, but don't imply that those who don't drive the top of the line Mustang are inferior to all other Mustang owners.

My point plain and simple is- don't judge all people with a vehicle based on your views of a few who own similar cars. There's nothing wrong with a Civic or a Buick Century if that's what you really love driving. Obviously I didn't love the Contour enough if I traded it in on the Camaro instead of paying the bill to really fix it, but I still post here because the majority (99%) of you guys are still cool and knowledgable about car care. I love coming in here and seeing mods and detailing tips, because that can apply to all cars. I don't come in here as a Camaro owner who is "better" than all you Contour owners. Realistically I could say that because the worst I could ever get is a virtual butt kicking (big deal) but I truly do not believe I am any better or any worse than any member here because of the car I drive. In fact, I will fully admit that the Contour in many ways outshines the Camaro but for me, the Camaro was a better fit for me in the aspects that mattered to me. I treat everyone with respect until they give me reason not to. Your post seemed to disrespect Mustang V6 owners which is why I stepped in.

Go ahead and debate my post all you'd like. I'll print it out for more humor. In the interest of letting others talk about the real topic at hand, I'm letting this be my last one for this particular thread and posting somewhere else on this board where my information is actually needed. You'd never know who I was if we met face to face and I wouldn't know you, so why you feel the need to stick your tongue out and attempt a fight on this subject is beyond me. I just want two sides for people to think about and to also show people that not everyone thinks that V6 Mustang owners who aren't old or female are worthless, because they aren't all that way.

And btw, thanks once again for making me laugh.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Alright fenderman, sorry to flame you, and yes some of my comments were un-called for. Let me re-state what I was trying to say in a nicer way:

I really feel that v6 mustangs and camaros are just "pretend" sporty cars. Isnt the whole point of modern mustangs and camaros thier power and performance? They ceratinly can't compare to other modern "sporty" cars in terms of economy, interior design/layout and use of space, or handling/chassis dynamics. Isnt buying one without the v8 power and sound totally pointless? (I suppose a case could be made for convertibles since there really arent many other affordible convertibles available)
Thats my opinion, I know others here agree, and no I don't think you're less of a person for buying a v6 camaro.

As far as handling goes, I am once again, talking about good steering feel and a tight, responsive chassis. You don't need to drive at ridiculous speeds to enjoy those attributes in your car.

And for the person who started this thread: I think you'll have much more fun with a v6 MTX contour than a v6 mustang.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard