Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jediboy Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Ok here is my problem. While I am driving my transmission disengages from the engine and if I press the gas, my rpms fly to 6000. About 2 seconds after the transmission disengages, it reengages and I go on like normal. Now this happens randomly and i can go 5 mins without a problem, or it will happen more than once in a minute. It seems to be getting worse. I am guessing I am losing power to the car because sometimes when the transmission disengages, the stereo also turns off. Then it restarts.

Ok my second problem, My power steering is leaking at the pump side. The pump is located directly above the alternator. It has leaked fluid all over the alternator. I am guessing that the alternator may be shorting out while I am driving. I dont know if that is the problem or not. I have not fixed the leaking yet but when I do I will try to clean out the alternator to see if that was the problem. Just trying to see if anyone has had this problem. I really need help I cant really use the car. Thnx everyone.

1995 Contour LX (ATX) KKM True Rev Sport Induction ( Video ) Alpine CDA-7894 / JBL 1200W AMP 12" MTX Subs 5x7 Alpine Mids Brullen mandrel bent quasi-dual exaust
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but if the two are related, it's going to be a weird relation. The reason I say that is because the alternator should feed the entire electrical system, and when it is not the alternator light should come on and the battery should power the accessories as backup. I would also think that if the electrical system were to short out completely, that you would lose not only your transmission shifts and stereo, but also the spark from the ignition which would in turn kill the motor, causing the car to stall out. Since the car is an ATX, as soon as the motor died it would simply coast to a stop until you put it in neutral and restarted the motor with the key. At the very least the motor would get a weak spark and run rough, but if the electrical system is weakened completely the engine shouldn't simply run and accelerate smoothly as you describe.

This may be 3 seperate problems all occuring at once, but not knowing where to go with this one I can't say for sure what the problem might be. Best idea for now is to get the power steering leak fixed, either repair or replace the alternator and see if the problem persists. That's the only advice I can offer for now.

J
Jediboy Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Ok, I found my problem, When I removed the upper engine mount to get to the power steering pump, I forgot to connect the ground cable comming from the cabin. This would explain why my radio kept turining off when it was shorting out. I replaced the power steering pressure hose, and put it all back together, (including the ground cable) now all works good. Thnx for the help though!

-Jed

1995 Contour LX (ATX) KKM True Rev Sport Induction ( Video ) Alpine CDA-7894 / JBL 1200W AMP 12" MTX Subs 5x7 Alpine Mids Brullen mandrel bent quasi-dual exaust

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard