Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#751001 09/19/03 02:15 AM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Have any of you guys tried the Green Stuff brakes. A lot of my focus friends seem to love them. I have only found a couple of places that sell them and was wondering about Contour SVT use.

99 Black SVT #290 of 2760
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Personally have no experience with the Green Stuff pads but have heard mixed opinions here. Do a search and you'll probably find your answer. How are they (new pads) going to be used?

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The "problem" with some of these zoomy, ulta bite, pads and such is that if they do in fact create more bite by way of a higher Cf they do so with a heat trade off. The more agressive the pad, the more heat it will generate at the upper levels of their performance. And who bought them for less brake?? So if you run such pads in heavy use you'll still reach the heat saturation point of the rotor.

I have the same issue if someone puts "A" pads on a street car and runs the snot out of them. They really put out the bite but do it with more heat too.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
99% for use back and forth to work, but I am thinking about trying autox as a few of my friends in SVTOA down here seem to really enjoy it. It also seems a bit more testing that just going in a straight line as fast as possible. It also requires just a step up in brake use. I have 60k on my original pads and they have just a little less than 40% left

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Just like Todd said, these pads may bite aggressively, but they do heat the bejesus out of the rotors, which in most cases ends up warping them in very little time. Also despite what they claim these buggers dust like a b@stard, almost worse than the stock pads.

I also had two out of four pads have the friction material actually spearate from the backing plate.

Hence for the $70~ you'll spend on these pads you won't get your money's worth.

I got pissed at mine and thus went searching for a better all round pad. Thus I stumbled upon the Bendix Titaniums, which with the stock SVT brake setup, work awesome, and create VERY little dust in comparison to any other pad I have observed/used.

Subsequently I began to offer these pads to my fellow CEGer's and I have never had ONE single complaint about them - only praise.

I also AutoX with these pads and they stand up well against fade which is more of a possibility considering I turboed my car and often visit triple digit speeds.

Go back to the top of the Brake forum and read my sticky post on my brakes offerings, then make your decision from there.

Needless to say, you have been warned about EBC's.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I too have never used these pads, but I have heard nothing but bad things about them.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I had already looked at your post and that was what started my questioning exactly how far I wanted to go. Another issue falls into if I do start AutoX do I really want to do anything that would take me out of the stock class.

I do not think I am ready for that kind of commitment, though turbo or sc and susp all sound great, I do get to drive enough of that type of car to keep it out of my system.

Thanks for the advice, I think for now I will upgrade lines and fluids and probably go with OEM Pads or the Bendix.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Mintex pads are supposed to be pretty decent as well. Anyone who's tried them want to chime in?

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Jason43:
Mintex pads are supposed to be pretty decent as well. Anyone who's tried them want to chime in?

Mintex AF...didn't notice any better braking than stock...dusty. Changed them withing 3000 miles for the Bendix (very happy ;-)

N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
i had the EBC red stuff and wow they stoped when i hit on the brakes. But too much brake dust. I would wash my car, next day , dust is all ready on the wheel. They made some noise as well so i ended up getting the bendix pads and wo they are nice. No brake dust and nice stoping power.

oh by the way, the ebc red stuff suxed in the rain. One day i was driving and i had to hit the brakes hard to stop to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The pads didn't seem to grip well in wet wheather. Good luck with ur choice

HaHa You Watching me? Keep Watching
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard