Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
I've had the shaking problem as well, but it always turns out to be tires out of balance or alignment. The rotors do pretty much suck (factory and low end replacement ones, that is).

'99 Contour SE V6 w/MTX (Black Clearcoat)
'02 Dakota 4.7L V8 2WD X-Cab (Flame Red Clearcoat)
R
R
I had a vibration in my wheels since day one and I struggled with it for 2 years until recently.

You would be amazed at how sensitive the contique can be to unbalanced tires.

I had to go to several places before I got the balancing correct AFTER getting the tires replaced because the tires were out of round. The first place was off by 1/2 to a full ounce on each wheel!!!

Long story made short. The tires could be out-of-round (egg shaped) or mis-balanced. Balancing tires is far from an exact science so shops get it wrong often.

Try to find a place that has a harmonic balancer. They seem to balance tires better.

Kharma is very real and she is one mean b!tch.
D
D
It turned out to be the CV axles on my car also.
Replacing the rotors cured the vibration on braking with mine also

I'm still mystified as to how tires/CV joints/wheels/you-name-it can go in and out of balance as the original post says that this is an intermitant problem, meaning it doesn't happen all the time. I think we need to look beyond items that are either worn out or not (or out of balance or not). Unfortunately I can't think of anything other than what I already posted before.

Karl

*** It's all about consistency! ***

98 SVT Contour
86 Ranger GT
69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider
67 Formula-S Barracuda
J
J
Quote:
I'm still mystified as to how tires/CV joints/wheels/you-name-it can go in and out of balance as the original post says that this is an intermitant problem, meaning it doesn't happen all the time. I think we need to look beyond items that are either worn out or not (or out of balance or not). Unfortunately I can't think of anything other than what I already posted before.
It's about heat, Karl. Nothing stays consistant when temperature is constantly changing. Things can vibrate if they have slop in them (especially at high speeds). Like my old CV axles, they had slop, and then the axle would settle off to one side, in turn causing an axle-off-center wobble. Then as the joint would heat up hot, the clearance would get sufficiently tight enough to hold the joint pieces and shaft centered and vibration would be gone. Bearings can do similar things too. Tires can flex different with temperature and speed (if there is a belt starting to separate from within or something). Too many factors. But temperature is one BIG factor that is always changing everything.

'95 CONTOUR SE
-Enkei 16s
-Porsche944 Exhaust tip
- Audi xenon projector headlights
-Peterbilt 30" air horns
-mp3 Aiwa headunit (150 songs on one disc)
-dual 10s
-soon to have LED tailights (real kind, not just gay bulbs)
-That's it for now
S
S
I think you guys are hitting the good points. I would say a couple things too...You have had the rotors changed right?? You said you replaced the whole braking system right? How did it respond? Did you use orig or OEM stuff? Or aftermarket? One thing FoMoCo's have a history of (from what I have heard and experienced) is rotors warping almost at the drop of a hat. But, some cars have the problem, some don't....

The other point everyone brought up, CV's. Anyone remember the old days of the rear wheel drive vehicles? Remember people saying they had problems at the driveshaft yokes and vibrations? The yokes would wear and cause vibration.

I am kinda leaning that way unless you have the rotors turned and the problem subsides.

May this get ya thinking
Rich

'96 Mystique, Zetec, MTX.
---Mods---
Removed both intake resonators and airbox. Installed APC air filter and APC crankcase ventilation filter. Removed exhaust resonator.
Installed XM Satellite Radio. Replaced bad alternator and 175a fusible link...much fun!
Intake plenum---GONE!!!!
My car growls louder than yours.
If I can't buy it, I'll build it...Trust Me!!!!
D
D
Read my earlier post...I recently have the exact same symptoms!
Intermittent vibration, especially at highway speeds and only after the car has been driven awhile. Last week I checked the suspension system visually and "mechanically". I could not see or feel any obvious problems.
I am beginning to think it is the inner CV joints or possibly wheel bearings. I don't want to spend a bunch of money needlessly, through by hit-or-miss repair tactics!

Dan B.
Quote:
Originally posted by Josch:
[QUOTE]It's about heat, Karl. Nothing stays consistant when temperature is constantly changing.
Well, anything is possible. You wouldn't expect CV joints, or any other parts, to be bad right from the factory but it wouldn't be the first time. Plus since they are part of the drivetrain and not suspension it still plays into my original post. laugh Still, from the original post we don't know what the conditions are, like miles driven before the problem starts, weather conditions, etc. More data is needed. Otherwise all that will happen is parts will be replaced until it finally gets fixed or he runs out of money/patience.

Karl

*** It's all about consistency! ***

98 SVT Contour
86 Ranger GT
69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider
67 Formula-S Barracuda
G
G
have u checked the tie rods/ends? bad tie rods can make the car shimmy on the highway...i think there's inner and outter tie rod that wear out but dont quote me on that

cv may cause shimmy but i've only heard of them causing grinding or clicking low when u turn for instance

95 contour se...dark blue...monsterflow air filter...remanuf atx...wiring harness recall or bust!!!96k miles...motorcraft awsf32pp plugs & red ford racing 9mm wires...kvr black plated cross-drilled rotors & carbon fiber pads...currently undergoing renovation...excuse our dust!!!
are my dodgers for real????
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard