Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
im wiring up my amp...
what should the length of the wire (4 gauge) be from the fuse to the battery? crutchfield's install guide says it should be less than 6", but thats really short and i cant find a place to mount my fuse if the wire is that short!

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I usually go about 6-8 inches. I made a plexi panel for beside my battery on my Focus and put it on that. It only ended up being about 4 inches from the batt.

1998 Contour SE V6 2002 Focus ZTS 1980 Turbo Trans-Am
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by Nate S:
im wiring up my amp...
what should the length of the wire (4 gauge) be from the fuse to the battery? crutchfield's install guide says it should be less than 6", but thats really short and i cant find a place to mount my fuse if the wire is that short!

Then make a place. Make a bracket out of home depot parts

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
d'oh. mine is about a foot long. good thing i dont have my amp to hook up yet. where did you guys mount your fuse?

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
The length from the fuse to the battery doesn't really matter as long as you keep it under the hood. The reason for the fuse is for protection from shorts if you get your power wire pinched in an accident.
If your really worried about fires, keep the distance short (since, even if the fuse blows, the stretch of wire between the fuse and the battery will still be live). But do whatever is convenient for a mounting location as long as you keep it under the hood.

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
18" or less per the IASCA rulebook.

The easiest place to mount it is on the radiator support in front of the battery, just to the right of the end of the hood prop. Bolt a small piece of 3/4 MDF to the radiator support and mount the fuseholder there.

There's a nice pic in this month's CA&E of SoundQ SVT's version of what I described.

1998 Contour SVT #1007 -------------------------------------- Image Dynamics/Morel/Phoenix Gold/JL Audio/Eclipse/Alumapro The continuing quest for audio perfection...
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
what about the tower in the back right corner (forgot what its called..the one with the spring under it.. ). right now i have it duct taped there temporarly. do you think i could get away using some of that double sided mounting tape to mount it there? or should i just do the radiator support way?

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
You could leave it there, but, if you ever intend to compete you'll have to move it to w/in 18". I'd use some type of screw to hold it in place...engine heat does funny things to adhesive.

1998 Contour SVT #1007 -------------------------------------- Image Dynamics/Morel/Phoenix Gold/JL Audio/Eclipse/Alumapro The continuing quest for audio perfection...
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
it's within 18"..but i doubt ill compete. but who knows? ive realized that the engine heat has been doing funny stuff to my eletrical tape...ugh

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i'm putting mine in front of the right strut tower squeezed in between this and the intake. rought measuring shows about 20". i'm trying to rig it for less. measuring is supposed to be from connection at batt to half of the fuse (not where the wire physically terminates. i dont plan on competing, but getting it within the 18" would be nice

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard