Print Thread
S
SvtBob Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hi gang,

I have a 99 SVT Contour and have been having some small problems lately.

Ever since I have owned the car the horn has intermittantly worked (through pressing the steering wheel and also with factory alarm engagement). Recently the Cruise Control stopped working too.

I started scanning the Haynes manual and noticed that these 2 circuits come together on the steering wheel at a part called the "clockspring". I took the wire for the horn off of the connector at the steering wheel and grounded it to chassis, the horn worked as advertised, thus leading me to believe this clockspring is the culprit and may also fix my cruise control.

I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced this clockspring for the same problem and if it worked for them? Is it a pain also to change, and is it readily available/inexpensive from Ford.

Thanks,
Bob

1999 T-Red SVT Contour 1993 Silver MKIV Toyota Supra TT BPU+
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have not had to do this myself so this is just second-hand info.

To get to the clockspring you must disconnect the battery for a while to prevent airbag actuation. The airbag must be removed so that the steering wheel can be removed. The steering wheel should be marked fo accurate re-installation. The clockspring is under the steering wheel. It is a plastic (usually black) ring. There are many clockspring part numbers so contact a Ford parts department for the proper one.

Apparently the clockspring connector may lose contact as well as damage to the unit from un-centered operation.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
That sounds like the clockspring, it happened in my mustang.
The hardest part was getting the steering wheel off. There are a few connectors that have to be taken off but its pretty easy.

95 Contour Gl - the work beater - bought 6/15/03 88 S-10 Blazer - back up beater - owned since 89 97 Cobra Vert - my weekend toy - bought 12/01
S
SvtBob Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I called up the local Ford dealer today for the part and they want $71.00 for the clockspring. I don't want dish out this unless I am positive this is the problem. So I am going to tear the wheel apart and see if maybe it can be a simpler fix.

Bob

1999 T-Red SVT Contour 1993 Silver MKIV Toyota Supra TT BPU+
Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
I've replaced the clockspring on my SVT. The symptom for me was that the cruise control wasn't working. Sure enough, when I tried the horn, that was out too. If both are on the fritz, then yes, you will need to replace the clockspring. As mentioned, you are going to want to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes - don't want to accidentally discharge the airbags ya know.

I seem to recall that yes, it was a PITA to do the work. Had to take off the black dash piece above the steering wheel (you know, the piece that contains the coinholder/vents). Also, if you do wind up replacing the clockspring, I know you need to be careful about how you have the wheel turned. I think you want to have it centered for when you put the new one on, but I can't remember exactly. Oh, and I think the airbag light might be flashing if it's the clockspring - just another possible way to diagnose...

Jim H 95 Midnight Blue SE (Sold) 98.5 Silver Frost E1 (Sold) '04 G35 6MT Sedan (Sold) '01 Aurora 4.0
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Five separate circuits use clockspring; 2 for airbag, 3 for horn/cruise. Depending on type of failure airbag circuits may or may not be affected. FYI the multiple cruise switches vary resistor value inserted in their circuits.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard