Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I've just picked up some R rotorz (ebay specials) and some Mintex A/F Street Pads. The front went together without a problem, but the rears are giving me a hard time.

I can't seem retract the rear piston far enough for the capiler to fit back over the rotor. I believe I'm screwing the piston in as far as it will go. I've also checked the fluid level in the master cylinder along with trying to bleed the caliper slightly.

Now I'm beginning to think either the rotor or pads are too thick. Both claim to be OEM size, made to fit, no modification is needed.

As of now, I'm forced to run one old pad with one new pad until some wear takes place. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can find the thickness specs on these parts? Thanks in advance...

2000 CSVT (#289 of 2150) 1989 Mustang GT
#737384 09/03/03 04:38 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I know that when I did mine...I screwed...and screwed...and screwed (insert comments here).

But really...the piston goes in soo slowly...just keep at it...it'll fit.

I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
got the parking brake released all the way? check cable for binding.

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Yeah, make sure the e-brake is off and keep turning!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Update,last night I rented a Disc Brake Caliper Service Kit. With that I managed to get the left rear together, but I had to give up on the right rear.

I think perhaps the caliper is frozen/bound and the piston just wont retract anymore. I also noticed the lever holding the e-brake cable is not in the same position as the other side. I tried to free it but had no luck. I'll have to figure out how to adjust it some other day.

So that left side has one old and one new pad for the time being. Once the other side pads develope some wear, I'll relocate them to this trouble side. Braking seems fine even with this half assed configuration.

Thanks for the advise above!

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Try cracking the bleeder valvue just a little while you try and spin it!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Andy W.:
Try cracking the bleeder valvue just a little while you try and spin it!

-Andy

good idea. make sure you have extra (clean) brake fluid around if you go this route.

sounds like your brakes are in need of service, so i'd recommend bleeding at all corners (including clutch) anyway.

you might have to buy a new/rebuild caliper for that corner...

my 2c

for sale: E0 (98) Silver Frost SVT/Contour http://contour.org/carprofile/carprofile.cgi?a=display&uid=667 wanted: front SVT bumper mesh, 01/02 S4 avant, nogaro blue.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It sounds like you need to replace both rear calipers. I suspect the problem is in the park brake mechanism portion of the caliper. If in doubt, the caliper should be replaced so that you don't end up with uneven or pre-mature brake pad wear.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Yup, I had the same problem he had. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace both calipers. Problem fixed under warrenty.

Dyno'd 182hp @ Spring Zing 18" Wheels H&R In-dash and stuff... 98.5 Red SVT
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Thanks everyone, for all the info!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard