Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Old alphasonik = us acoustics. Not sure how the new company is related to the old, but 2 scenarios are likely. 1. They bought the rights to the name or 2. A former alphasonik owner re-opened shop under he same name after the mandatory time period (which could be determined by the buyout agreement or law, not sure which)

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Here's the thing that puzzles me, tho. The very first thing is says on their website is "Alphasonik was founded in 1976 with one mission, to bring state of the art performance to the car audio enthusiast."

It doesn't sound like they only bought the name. So, scenario #2 seems a possibility. But, I guess it could just be marketing hype too.

1999 Ford Contour SVT #900/2760 (SOLD) 2005 Mazda 6s 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by Blorton:
Thanks HTM! I wasn't aware Alpine offered a high-end amp with that useful of a crossover setup. Cool!

No current fleabay listings for the one you mentioned, but it looks like the current mrv-f540 can be had for around $330. I can swing that, but it may be a couple of weeks before I can do it.

Thanks again,
Dan

I don't think the F540 has an elaborate crossover like the F407 did. I belive it's only a high/low pass selectable crossover, not a 2 way setup. It might be prudent to try to find one and take a look in person.

On the other hand, the F407 is the older design, draws alot more current to make it's power. I have no doubt that the F540 is a better amplifier overall. An Audiocontrol crossover is cheap on ebay too. $50 will get you a 4XS.

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
On the 540, I downloaded the owners manual and it does have seperate high and low pass filter sections that can be jointly used to form a bandpass option.

Thanks,
Dan

00 Black Corvette FRC, headers, ram air, etc. 99 Cougar V6, RIP (was loud) 02 CBR954RR, now with full race exhaust
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Whoohoo!

I went to check on the status of my order since I never received a confirmation email from PX(but I get their marketing emails) and it turns out UPS delivered them this afternoon.

I think I'm gonna have to leave work early. (cough cough)

Still no amp to drive these with, so I think a short test on the home receiver is in order.(Yes, it's 4ohm safe.)

Dan

00 Black Corvette FRC, headers, ram air, etc. 99 Cougar V6, RIP (was loud) 02 CBR954RR, now with full race exhaust
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I just installed my PL's and I am giving them 100 watts,,,100 watts to each tweet and midbass. They sound pretty good,,,but I dont think they match my ScanSpeak 18W/5535A...we will see...more time needed to evaluate!

He's chaaarging!!!...(add scottish accent)... My audio setup is here: www.cardomain.com/id/contoursesport
D
D
Jack

125.00 scans vs 18.00 Vifas....

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Well, I auditioned them last night and am thoroughly impressed. Can't wait to get them installed. I just hooked them up one at a time with alligator clips to the home stereo and let her rip. Definetly need to cross them over above 40k, but they are tons better than the infinity kappa 6x9 in a box I did an a/b with. The Vifa's were only sitting inside the stack of mdf adapters I made with the back hanging open. IMHO, these are a better voiced driver than the high end Quarts at HiFiBuys.

In fact, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an amp for them this morning. I decided to go with the MTX 564 for now and pick up a deal on a 4xs later. This way, I can go ahead and get the new HU in and perhaps toast the existing speakers first. (pioneer 3 way 6x8 in the front, kappa 6x9 in the rear.)

Depending on how these sound in the car, I may go ahead and shoot for mounting 8's or 10's in the rear and save the rear Vifa's for spares in case I get too exuberant with them. Lotsa room in the rear pillars for speaker options in the Cugr.

Appreciate all the advice!

Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard