Print Thread
#735103 08/31/03 09:13 AM
J
JD60538 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
I want to make all the interior lights including door and dash blue. I know people have done this but there are no how to's. whats the deal? Is it a pain, what do I need?

1998 Contour GL Zetec I4 w/auto MODS: Fog lights and Mesh grills Soon to come are a set of Rims and Yokohama AVS ES100's Come see at cardomain.com
#735104 08/31/03 09:50 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
auiotour started one here. Its just started, but from the looks of it when its done it will be very comprehensive and helpful. My blue LEDs should be arriving sometime this week, so I'm hoping this tutorial will help me, too, once its done.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#735105 08/31/03 03:31 PM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Yea, i am working on it, I just got a very busy job so I have been working hard at it. But I will work on it more today and tomorrow hopefully finishing it today. The behind the door lights, and the sun/moon roof button, I dont think I will be doing in the next few days those take a lot of time. as for the sun/moon roof button. I ran wires from the footwell lights all the way up the drivers pillar and accrossed the roof and bought a new switch and then installed the LED and switch and spliced it into the old wiring. Not Something I recommened the unexpierenced to do. But If you guys really want it I can post it and how I did it along with all the pictures of what I used and where I connected it in.

I updated the tutorial a bit today. Took some more pictures so I will be updating it more again today.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
#735106 09/04/03 02:03 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Ask "auiotour" if he needs one for behind the handle HowTo. I have one that used to be up but is gone now. It's a simple Word doc I did a couple years back. I can send it to him and he can substitute the green LED for blue.

John

jcaimhigher@ixpres.com

Here you go anyways:
Door Handle Light HowTo

Tools:
Electrical tape
Shrink tubing
Hot glue gun
Soldering iron
Solder
Drill and 9/32� bit
Razor blade
Wire cutters
Wire strippers
Multimeter

Parts:
Radio Shack PN 276-271 Green LED
18-22 guage wire

Youâ??ll need to begin by removing the door. I wonâ??t detail that as most already know how and there are other places that give the info.

Once the door is removed you need to remove the small portion of foam surrounding the upper surround of the black door handle housing. This should reveal a small pocket on the top. The thin plastic flap needs to be removed. Take a razor blade, or even a dremmel, and remove the plastic piece above the location that youâ??ll be drilling the hole for the LED. Take a look at fig. 1 and youâ??ll see this small flap.

Now, take the drill and drill the 9/32â? hole for the LED. Insert the LED from the bottom so the wire ends are at the top. Take the glue gun and with one hand hold the LED in place from the bottom and glue the upper portion of the LED. If the hole is spot on you donâ??t â??needâ? to glue it but it is wise to do so as it will insure that it will not go anywhere. See figure #2.

Find the wiring harness that goes to the door lock switch. There is a purple w/yellow stripe wire (driverâ??s side front) that is hot (12v) only while the ignition is on. Use the multimeter to verify this. Also find the black ground wire. The passengerâ??s side front hot wire is purple w/white stripe and both rear doors are solid purple. These colors may differ on your vehicle. See figure #3

You may or may not need to add wire to the LED wiring in order to extend the length to the connections on the wiring harness. The front doors will more than likely need to be extended whereas the rear doors probably will not. Take the wire and solder enough wire to both the red(12v) and black(ground) wires of the LED to make the connection on the harness. Tape up your solder joints or use shrink tubing. Strip back a small amount of insulation on the purple wire of the harness. Use the tip of your probe on the multimeter to separate the center of the copper wire. Pass the red wire from the LED through this hole enough to wrap the wire back around the purple wire. Solder the connection and tape it up. Do the same for the black (ground) wire. Make sure all connections are taped and secured. Verify operation by inserting the key into the ignition. The light should come on and off every time you turn the ignition to the run position. If everything works properly tape the run of wire from the LED to the harness as much as possible. See figure #3. This just keeps the wire from flopping around. Reinstall the door panel and proceed to the next door. The finished install should look like figure #4 w/o the handle cover on. If you are doing the rear doors you will see that the lights will come on when the lockout from the driverâ??s door is shut off. Very cool. They basically come on when the switch is illuminated. See figure #5 and #6

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

John
jc-aimhigher@webtv.net

Last edited by jc-aimhigher; 09/04/03 02:07 AM.
#735107 09/05/03 05:36 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
john thanks. i'll be needing that how to soon

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
#735108 09/07/03 12:59 AM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
jc, can i use this tutorial for the post97 tutorial. I would like to still get pictures when I do someones car local. But your tutorial sounds great. All you need is some pictures and that would be even better.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
#735109 09/07/03 03:49 AM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Updated, now includes all the doors.

I am still adding stuff, check it out, try it, see how it goes for you, if you want more detailed info, ask me to include it. So I can make it as easy as possible.

note: I am still adding pictures.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard