Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the replies! No news to speak of. I may pursue legal direction regardless of out come, or at the least possibly talk to the press or something.... frown

I haven't heard from them since Wed. Supposedly parts are due in 7/2... Long block. Seems we have to call them for ANY info... This is a certified SVT and Saleen dealer in Portland OR area.... Really sad and a shame that they focus on Selling only and don't give a damn about servicing the customers! :rolleyes:

Most I could get out them as far as a rental is concerned is 25 a day.... Pending my wife getting a job offer, we are limping on one car. I can't wait to see what other damage is done.... May try to go out this week after parts come in to see what else they did to the car. mad

VG

1999 Tour Silver Frost SVT #2545 1st Engine Kill by Thomason Damerow Ford in Beaverton, OR by Technician "Test Drive." Date engine destroyed - 6/13/02

1991 White Mustang GT.. All original baby.
Volcanos Ford Family
V
OP Offline
V
Well Ford continues to display the same wonderful care for their loyal customers. mad I got the car back yesterday. Car was filty inside and out. The engine bay was nasty with spilled oil every where and paint damage both in engine compartment and fender areas.

I took the car back today as it is un-acceptable to say the least. Here is the running list of items in a leter that I gave the customer quality care manager at the dealership:

1. Transmission/driveline making whining noise as speed increases. Definitely a new noise. Sounds like bearing or gear noise, not engine
related.

2. Valve cover on back bank closes to firewall wrong one.... Unpainted Aluminum. I have pictures to prove. Sticker peeled off of other valve
cover end. Again have pictures to prove. No big issue on the sticker, just a peeve.

3. Transmission making racket when engaging clutch. Clacking noise.

4. Scratches and stretch marks in rear seats from heavy parts boxes that were left there for a long periods of time. (Minor issue that is probably unfixable or will fix it's self over time.)

5. Interior of car is NASTY! Greasy finger prints everywhere. Windshield covered in greasy prints after replacing dash. Smells of grease
in car now... not leather.

6. Exterior of car covered in grease/residue as well. Oily residue and grease/grit.

7. Rear bumper cover scratch from persons resting feet on car repeatedly in a 2-3' area. Hard to see in bright light, but never the less is there. Clear coat only, scratches.

8. Multiple scratches and chips to front area of the car, most damage done to passenger side fender and front of car.

9. Engine compartment was left un cleaned. Oil around engine mounts as well as finger prints/smudge marks (everywhere). Some cratches to paint in/around engine hood area from engine R&R. Looks like no protective covering was used during portion of the work?

10. Skirt on passenger side is scuffed up like car was driven over a curb or something high resulting in scratches and gouges to pain and
molding. Probably not worth fighting to fix. Just adds to the suspicion of mistreatment.

The car goes back in next Tuesday for the transmission issues... Sounds to me like clutch area or input shaft as the noise only occurs with clutch engaged. Sounds like gear noise/bearing noise... frown

Please shoot me as I am sick of this never ending saga... wink

Volcano God

1999 Tour Silver Frost SVT #2545 1st Engine Kill by Thomason Damerow Ford in Beaverton, OR by Technician "Test Drive." Date engine destroyed - 6/13/02

Volcanos Ford Family
V
OP Offline
V
Here is a copy of the letter for those having trouble sleeping. wink

To whom it concerns,

I feel that trust has been broken between the dealer and the customer. I am not looking to take advantage of the dealership or Ford in any way, but would at the same time not feel like the dealership is trying to cover-up or looking past something that should be properly addressed. When I originally dropped the car of for recall work in good faith, I was proud and enjoyed owning and driving it, but now the only thing that comes to mind is sell the car as soon as possible.

I take great pride in my 2 Ford cars, just as I have the previous 3 Fords and can tell you every scratch, mark, or issue on any of my Fords both exterior and interior. I can show you my level of care in my autos by having you look at my 91 Mustang GT if there is any doubt. Granted my car isn't a Saleen Mustang, but it is still an enthusiast car just as my 12 year old Mustang is.

I still feel that the car was mistreated/raced during a test drive. Damage to bottom of skirt on passenger side that looks like car went over a curb. Car was/is somewhat dirty, where scratches are clean on bottom of skirt.

I am curious about a few things. Excessive tire wear on inside driver side. Subwoofer box was slung towards back of trunk left side. The alignment on the car was good prior to this visit to the dealer as was the rubber on my front wheels. I have strong suspicions that donuts with the steering wheel cut to the right were performed in the car, or some sort of other wheel spinning activities were taking place. When I questioned the Tech, he said the knocking started to occur "during" the test drive while trying to reproduce the oil leak. I honestly wonder if the engine knock wasn't the result of harsh non-professional driving by the Technician. There is a noted weakness acknowledged by SVT concerning hard right hand maneuvers, where the engine is starved for oil. I can show you countless incidents of engine failures as a result of this activity alone. So this added with the tire ware pattern in conjunction with the 65 pound subwoofer box resting location leads me to believe that something terrible was done to the car.

Outstanding issues:

1. Transmission/driveline making whining noise as speed increases. Definitely a new noise. Sounds like bearing or gear noise, not engine
related.

2. Valve cover on back bank closes to firewall wrong one.... Unpainted Aluminum. I have pictures to prove. Sticker peeled off of other valve cover end. Again have pictures to prove. No big issue on the sticker, just a peeve.

3. Transmission making racket when engaging clutch. Clacking noise.

4. Scratches and stretch marks in rear seats from heavy parts boxes that were left there for a long periods of time. (Minor issue that is probably unfixable or will fix it's self over time.)

5. Interior of car is NASTY! Greasy finger prints everywhere. Windshield covered in greasy prints after replacing dash. Smells of grease
in car now... not leather.

6. Exterior of car covered in grease/residue as well. Oily residue and grease/grit.

7. Rear bumper cover scratch from persons resting feet on car repeatedly in a 2-3' area. Hard to see in bright light, but never the less is there. Clear coat only, scratches.

8. Multiple scratches to front area of the car, most damage done to passenger side fender and front of car.

9. Engine compartment was left un cleaned. Oil around engine mounts as well as finger prints/smudge marks (everywhere). Some scratches to paint in/around engine hood area from engine R&R. Looks like no protective covering was not used during portion of the work?

10. Skirt on passenger side is scuffed up like car was driven over a curb or something high resulting in scratches and gouges to pain and molding. Probably not worth fighting to fix. Just adds to the suspicion of mistreatment.

In closing I would like to reiterate that I am not out to take advantage of a situation or Ford, but would like the car in the same state it was in when it was dropped off in June. That is basically impossible give what has transgressed. I am at a lost as to how to proceed in this matter. I want to ditch the car as soon as possible now as I don't have any faith in the reliability of the car, its resale value, or even its trade in value for the near future given the current shape it is in. I realize Thomason operates a Nissan dealership and would possibly like to purse purchasing a Maxima, but don't what to be harassed by sales persons that only care about making their quota of sales for the day and are rude and pushy as the person was that tried to sell us a Ford Truck the day we learned of the engine knock.

Sincerely,

Lee Craig

Volcanos Ford Family
S
S
I got my car back (finally!) On 2 July I dropped off the rental Neon and only had to pay $18 for PA State Inspection. Ford paid for the entire rental and replacement of the piston, rings wrist pin, connecting rod and bearing as well as an oil change.

I then took it for an 1100 mile test drive and averaged about 30mpg at 80 mph. Now for the Autocross on Sunday!!

John Alessi
Torredor Red #1915 of 2150
Born 21Jan2000
G/S No serious mods allowed
S
S
Does anyone keep a record of their oil changes? I just keep a mental note and then change it every 3,000 - 4,000 miles (Mobil 1). I've never kept a written record of this on any of my cars and the guy I bought my SVT from didn?t give me a written record of his maintenance. He only told me it was changed every 3k, which I believe. Should I start keeping a record now? I just don?t want to end up with a blown engine and Ford telling me they won?t replace it. The car only has 33k miles on it and is covered under the ESP.

~~~~~~Mike~~~~~~
Silver 2000 Contour SVT
# 1200 of 2150
V
OP Offline
V
SVT2000Contour,

Wish they would have picked up the rental... No luck for me as they would only pay 1/3 and 2/3 after I complained to Ford customer care. Tuesday it goes in for transmission whine and detail and they are giving me a rental... Hope this doesn't take another month to fix.

Thanks for your replies!

Volcan God

Volcanos Ford Family
V
OP Offline
V
SVTMike,

The only reason they would change out my engine is with proof of oil changes, be it receipts or a maintance log. I was really worry about them accepting my maintance log since I do all my own oil changes.

It is VERY important to document as much as possible in case the worst ever happens. I use the book that came with the car for Maintance and just use the area provided for maint./service and just fill out all my info.

Thanks for replying!

Volcano God

Volcanos Ford Family
S
S
Did the buy you bought the car from keep a written record of his oil changes? Or did they just assume he did them regularly?

~~~~~~Mike~~~~~~
Silver 2000 Contour SVT
# 1200 of 2150
I
I
Why does it matter if/when the oil was changed anyways? I thought checking the oil level was good enough. I dont think I am going to own another Ford again for this purpose.

99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
Mystery Car??????
Quote:
Originally posted by SVTMike:
Does anyone keep a record of their oil changes?
I do. And everything else I do to my cars including mileage and date. I didn't keep invoices before but I do now. I had to print out an owners manual for the SVT from the web and it's in a three ring binder and I put invoices in there too. I keep a log in the glovebox. I didn't get records of previous maintenance from the dealer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the car wasn't mistreated before I got it.

Karl

*** It's all about consistency! ***

98 SVT Contour
86 Ranger GT
69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider
67 Formula-S Barracuda
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard