Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I just recently replaced my alternator and the belt. Somehow the belt cut a hole in my coolant hose. By the time I realized this all the coolant leaked out and the car overheated and stalled out. I bought a repair kit for the hose and fixed that. Started to drive the car home about 2 minutes later the car died as I was driving. I left the car sit for about 6 hrs and checked the dipstick. There was coolant on it. I spent the weekend tearing apart the car and the headgasket looks ok. I don't see how that the block or head could have cracked that quickly. Anyone have any ideas on how the coolant got in with the oil? There was also alot of oil in the filter housing?

95 Contour Gl - the work beater - bought 6/15/03 88 S-10 Blazer - back up beater - owned since 89 97 Cobra Vert - my weekend toy - bought 12/01
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
only thing i 'think' i know about this is get a compression check...

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
I assume that since you only mention head gasket as in singular, you are working on a 4 cylinder motor. The only way I know to get coolant in the oil is to have an internal leak. This is not just caused by cracks in the head or block, or by a blown head gasket, but by a warped cylinder head. Since your car overheated and shut down I assume that it got hot enough to do just that. Have the cylinder head checked at a machine shop to see if the surface is true. If not, it can be trued up. Get a new gasket and properly torque it down onto the block. That should fix the problem.

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by fenderman49:
I assume that since you only mention head gasket as in singular, you are working on a 4 cylinder motor. The only way I know to get coolant in the oil is to have an internal leak. This is not just caused by cracks in the head or block, or by a blown head gasket, but by a warped cylinder head. Since your car overheated and shut down I assume that it got hot enough to do just that. Have the cylinder head checked at a machine shop to see if the surface is true. If not, it can be trued up. Get a new gasket and properly torque it down onto the block. That should fix the problem.

yes it is a 4 cylinder. I checked the head last night and all the edges are flat. The only I can think of is when I added water when the motor was real hot it cracked the block.

95 Contour Gl - the work beater - bought 6/15/03 88 S-10 Blazer - back up beater - owned since 89 97 Cobra Vert - my weekend toy - bought 12/01

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard