Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#725251 08/20/03 08:13 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
What about reserves? I have a job I can't leave for the military...but isn't the reserves where you give them like 2 weeks a year?? Sounds like a win win situation to me...really thinking about it.

That's what these guys thought.............

-- Mike (Moe)Lester -- '03 Durango 5.9 R/T former owner of Blue 98.5 SVT #5486 moesvt@yahoo.com
#725252 08/20/03 08:50 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by mcgainer:

-Reserves/Guard (let's face it...its a part time thing...all the full timers will give you hell)

So what?

Having done both, I wish I'd known about the Guard earlier. I used to have an attitude about "part-timers," but now I've grown up.

The Guard is a different animal, for sure, but worth looking into. Put it this way: Most states offer tuition breaks or educational benefits for their guard members. Also, when, say, an ANG unit needs pilots, where do you think they look first? In their own unit, of course. If you are enlisted, and close to finishing your degree, you can compete for the unit's pilot slots, and if they know you and like you, you are more likely to get it (and the officer slot). Active duty? Even as a trained Nav, you'll be competing with every Joe Bagadoghnuts off the street. The Guard takes care of its own. The active duty would shake your hand and say "good job," and then push you in front of a bus to make the personnel numbers meet quota.

Only thing sucks about the Guard is that if you are part-time, you'll need a regular job, and sometimes your duty to state and country conflict with your duty to your civilian employer. Pick your employer carefully. Also, "Part-time" means that after your 40-hour civilian work week, you'll still have stuff to do on the weekend when all your civie buds might be off hitting the lake. Last thing that sucks is that the retirement benefits don't kick in until you hit age 60, and there's no real medical coverage when you're not drilling.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#725253 08/21/03 01:13 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
The National Gaurd is a good way to go, but don't expect to get through your first enlistment without being called up. Usually (if you want all the good benefits) your first enlistment would be 6 years, the average gaurd unit when I joined got called up every 7 years. But that was a little over 6 years ago, now it's more like 4 years. Air gaurd gets called up even more frequently than that (every 2-3 yrs IIRC). Also some gaurd units get called more often because of what they do (water purification, MP's, transportation)
The way I see it, if you want help with college go gaurd or reserves for 6 years. If you want retirement benefits go for 20 years.
Also if you do join, and you do get called up, Baghdad isn't as bad as it seems in the news.

Ryan '99 T-Red SVT, KKM, Borla, 1387 of 2760 '92 T-Red F-150 Flareside 4.9, 5 spd '94 Geo Prizm, it was cheap
#725254 08/21/03 01:25 PM
E
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
E
I knew I could count on the CEG for some good advice!

"God Got a Good One" 1982-2004 I love you JLM!
#725255 08/22/03 07:33 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
not trying to be an ass, but this would go into Common INtrest section.....Just letting you know.

Psssst....this IS the Common Interests section. Yeah, thanks.

*Invisible Hero* 1999 SVT Contour/Amazon Green Keep It Real. Beware the fury of the silent man.
#725256 08/22/03 08:15 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Peach:
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
not trying to be an ass, but this would go into Common INtrest section.....Just letting you know.

Psssst....this IS the Common Interests section. Yeah, thanks.

It was moved from "general." Please try to keep up.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#725257 08/23/03 12:07 AM
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
What about reserves? I have a job I can't leave for the military...but isn't the reserves where you give them like 2 weeks a year?? Sounds like a win win situation to me...really thinking about it.

We have about 10-12 reserves recalled to active duty who are still on active duty now. Two of them have been active since the start of the war.

2 weekends a month, 2 weeks a year.

Basically depending on your pay-grade you get paid a certain amount for the 2 weekends a month. I think I'd get about 200 dollars each time. During the two weeks a year is when you do 2 straight weeks. You get paid as an active duty member during this time.

Any other questions?

95 Mystique GS Zetec ATX: Dead - Dec 5th, 2003 94 Accord LX 2.2L MTX Non-Vtec. Few bolt ons. 02 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 ATX. This thing has the CD4E in it?! What the hell was ford thinking?
#725258 08/23/03 12:35 AM
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
I have been in the AF for 5 1/2 years and have to say that it has been a great ride. Until recently I didn't know a whole lot about the other services just that our living standards were much higher. As of the last 4 months I have been part of Joint Task Forces as I volunteered to come to Baghdad.
This has been a great assignment and since I have been working with all the services I can tell you some things. 99% of the Army (active or guard) wishes they had joined the Air Force and are asking me how they can cross over. That picture that you was in Anaconda (Balad). The guard is all over hear and won't go home until November thru January and plan on coming back within 6 months after that. You might feel all bad a** and full of WHOA right now but how about when you have a family and you have no choise but to go spend a year without them only to leave them again 6 months down the road. There are a lot of whiney beeches over here and they are only 8 months into it. The ones that thought they were safe because they got out a few years ago thought wrong. They are here too.
To avoid these down falls I would definatly "Cross into the Blue". You may be full of WHOA and gung-ho right now but there are 150 thousand people around me that that will tell you that that gets old really quick.
Reasons to join the Air Force:
1. I know they don't advertise it, but they have other things to advertise but yes we get the GI bill just like the Army and all the other branches.
2. 100% tuition while enlisted.
3. Much higher re-enlistment bonuses (Army does get re-enlistment bonuses and a laptop). On my way over here they were playing with thier laptops thinking they were cool until I asked them how many laptops my $60,000 bonus would buy me. Oh and by the way they previously didn't know I was in the Air Force because I didn't have to wear my uniform all the way there.
4. Higher wages when you get out. Most Army guys when they get out don't get a very good job. Some do but the AF puts you through so much training to make you very specialized. Then if you decide to leave they hold job fairs so that you can easily find a job. About a year before my first enlistment was through I had companies calling me to see if I planned on leaving the AF and if I changed my mind they gave me their #. I asked my Army counterparts if that sounded familiar to them...it didn't.
5. Quality of life. At Goodfellow AFB we have all branches of service. When the Army came asking for dorms we gave them ones that we condemed. They think they are in paradise.
6. Army is detail happy. If there is nothing to do they will find something to do. I was driving through a camp that is right by Baghdad International Airport with an army guy when we saw a bunch of Army guys sweeping the street while it was still blowing around. Thinking that they were in serious trouble, I asked him what those guys had to do to deserve that detail. He said nothing and that was part of being in the Army. I told him that he could not even make me make my airmen do that.
I know there are a lot more but this post is kinda long and it's like 0430 here. Do what is best for you in the end you will be a stronger person no matter what. No matter what branch you go in make sure you know and understand what job you are going to do.

Good Luck,

Fastrussman

#725259 08/23/03 02:21 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by fastrussman:
3. Much higher re-enlistment bonuses (Army does get re-enlistment bonuses and a laptop). On my way over here they were playing with thier laptops thinking they were cool until I asked them how many laptops my $60,000 bonus would buy me. Oh and by the way they previously didn't know I was in the Air Force because I didn't have to wear my uniform all the way there.

<snort>
Man I love the Air Force. I may not be active, but as a wife I can tell you it's a great life. I know I have posted on this already, but still. The housing is great. My dad is retired AF and my husband is active duty right now, and I have NEVER seen bad AF base housing. I have heard of some bad ones, but that's the person's opinion. What they may think is trash, might be a castle to someone else.
We live on Charleston Air Force Base in North Charleston, SC. We have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house, carport, 2 storage sheds right outside, and a huge front and backyard. We don't pay for electric, water, or garbage, but we also don't get the $850 pay for living off base like others do. We have cable and phone, but we pay for them. Our driveway can fit about 5 vehicles. We have my Contour and an Explorer, and we could fit those two, PLUS my mom's Cavilier, my sister's Lumina, AND my dad's Honda Prelude in the driveway.
Basically, where else you gonna live where there are armed guards carrying M-16s to protect you? We live about 1/4 mile from the base grocery store, retail store, AND gas station. The base clinic is about 1 1/2 miles away. There's a golf course around the corner, hotel, free gym, AND we have our own airplane terminal, even though the international airport is right around the corner too.
I have never seen a dumpy AF base. They always keep them looking pretty decent. Charleston AFB was voted BEST SMALL BASE FOR FAMILIES in the whole Air Force. Even if you go overseas the houses are nice if your base has them.
The military, all of them, are basically a family. Yes, there's rivalry, but when ISN'T there. When it comes down to it, miltary take care of their ppl. Someone breaks down here on base, you got about 3 or 4 cars stopping to help, as well as base police. Something in the house not working right?? Calling housing, they will usually be out in an hour or two to fix it....... free.
The military, whatever branch you go into, is an experience I think everyone should enjoy. Hell, I think they should make a mandatory 1 yr in the military as soon as you graduate high school.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
#725260 08/23/03 03:22 PM
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
< Jarhead (Ret.)

Education is key in any branch; do it before(best), during(better) or after, but let Uncle Sam foot the bill.

There are a few simple rules that apply to any branch and will help you to achieve:

1. Keep your mouth shut.
2. Do what you are told, to the best of your ability, without complaint and as quickly as possible.
3. There will always be someone who out-ranks you, occasionally that person is less intelligent than you are.
4. Get comfortable with the concept of 'Hurry up and wait.'
5. You get out of it what you put into it. Hard work is rewarded; screw up and get screwed.

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

UuH RAHhhhhhhhh!

Mark

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard