Next Thread
Print Thread
#724168 08/19/03 01:14 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i've read the descriptions of them but still dont get it. can u guys give me an example of what i would use it for. r they a form of a distribution block. i see 2 rows of screws. why not just connect the wires together or soldier them.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by hmouta:
i've read the descriptions of them but still dont get it. can u guys give me an example of what i would use it for. r they a form of a distribution block. i see 2 rows of screws. why not just connect the wires together or soldier them.

Barrier strips can be used as a quick disconnect option. They offer secure connections, but they can (like fuses) add resistance to the line.

If you're not looking for temporary installations, then soldering with head shrink or crimp connectors can be utilized.

I've used barrier strips in many installations. For example, I've used them for remote lines when I need to have a turn on lead wired to many components. I tie a relay into the barrier strip with a jumper to power up all of the equipment.

In order to use them as a distribution block, you would need to manufacture a jumper or purchase one for the application. Purchased jumpers are sold as insulated and non-insulated. In a car audio environment, you would want it to be insulated to avoid a short unless you had some other means to protect it. In a home application, where the barrier terminal is securely mounted inside of a chassis, the jumper wouldn't really need to be insulated.

Another example would be for speaker connections. If your amp is in a hard to reach area, and you want to be able to switch out speakers periodically without uninstalling your amplifier to access the terminals, you could use barrier strips. One side of the strip would attach to the amp while the other side would attach to the speaker. It can save your terminals on your equipment from wear and tear as well. Iā??ve used them in this situation as well. In one of my past installation (Old car, Nissan), I had an amplifier mounted under the seat. In order to install the amp, I had to remove the seat. Once the seat was reinstalled, I couldnā??t access any of the terminals so I used barrier strips, which allowed me to make changes to my speaker arrangements without removing the seat.

Hope this helps.

1998 Contour SVT H&R, Koni's, 17" Team Dynamics DTM Upgraded Stereo System
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
oh that makes sense. and by jumper do u mean something connected to one side of the strip "jumps" over to the other side and connects on that side. so it kinda looks like a loop.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by hmouta:
oh that makes sense. and by jumper do u mean something connected to one side of the strip "jumps" over to the other side and connects on that side. so it kinda looks like a loop.

Radio Shack's Barrier Strip selection as well as an uninsulated 8 position jumper.

1998 Contour SVT H&R, Koni's, 17" Team Dynamics DTM Upgraded Stereo System

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard