#723785 08/18/03 05:44 PM
S
SVTDawg Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hey Everyone,

I have a 98 SVT and I started to get an oil leak about a week ago. Small drip..maybe a 3 or 4 drips overnight. I finally jacked it up and tried to find it. It's coming from the back side of the engine, firewall side. It's dripping off the bottom motor mount and oil pan but is coming from up top somewhere. Wasn't able to trace it and didn't have enough time to get my hands really dirty.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Maybe someone has had this problem before and could save me some time!

Thanks!!

Lee

#723786 08/18/03 06:48 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
As you'll notice I just put a new timing belt and tensioner plus waterpump in my '95 GL.

I took the valve cover off a few times and ruined the new valve cover gasket. I was surprised that there is a lot of oil pressure under the valve cover because oil was squirting out from two TINY tears in the gasket. There must be something going on under the valve cover back by the #4 cylinder injector because that's where the leak was.

I'd look back along the back of the head gasket especially on the back right hand side of the engine (cylinder #4 is to the right.)

It is really pretty easy to install a new head gasket.
They cost around $22.00 and the job is easy enough.
Mine was leaking before I did this job, too.

DB

#723787 08/18/03 06:57 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by dbbubba:
As you'll notice I just put a new timing belt and tensioner plus waterpump in my '95 GL.

I took the valve cover off a few times and ruined the new valve cover gasket. I was surprised that there is a lot of oil pressure under the valve cover because oil was squirting out from two TINY tears in the gasket. There must be something going on under the valve cover back by the #4 cylinder injector because that's where the leak was.

I'd look back along the back of the head gasket especially on the back right hand side of the engine (cylinder #4 is to the right.)

DB

This is a V6 not a 4cyl

Duratecs use a timing CHAIN not a belt...you ahve to remove a lot to change the CHAIN.

I have not had this problme but i do have a leak comming off of the motors rear main seal....I just replaced the seal and its fine...tunrs out i busted the seal when i used 15w 50 mobil one synthetic....I had too much pressure going into the system, so i replaced the seal and use mobil on 1 5w 30....works great.

the seal you can see from the passager side wheel well when you take off the tire.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
#723788 08/18/03 07:39 PM
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
I had a similar leak. The dealership finally fixed it by replacing the timing cover gasket under ESP. They also replaced the oil pan gasket, but I'm pretty sure it was the TCG that fixed it.

Roger - "Old Guy" "Every car is a sports car sometime." 1999 White SE Sport V6 MTX 2005 Toyota Sienna - 8 passenger
#723789 08/19/03 01:26 PM
S
SVTDawg Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hey Guys,

Thanks for everyone's posts. I appreciate it. I'm thinking it may be a valve cover leak or something up top.

Roz 1999 SVT-C, you mentioned the rear main, but you said passenger side. The rear main would be on the driver's side though. At the back of the block where the flywheel is, behind the tranny. Is that where your leak was?, or are you talking about the front of the engine where the pulley's are?

If it was a rear main, I'd see oil where the tranny meets the block and oil pan I would think. Could be the timing chain cover I guess, hope not. I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks Again!

Lee

#723790 08/19/03 04:06 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by SVTDawg:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for everyone's posts. I appreciate it. I'm thinking it may be a valve cover leak or something up top.

Roz 1999 SVT-C, you mentioned the rear main, but you said passenger side. The rear main would be on the driver's side though. At the back of the block where the flywheel is, behind the tranny. Is that where your leak was?, or are you talking about the front of the engine where the pulley's are?

If it was a rear main, I'd see oil where the tranny meets the block and oil pan I would think. Could be the timing chain cover I guess, hope not. I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks Again!

Lee

Let me look at my manual when i get home......I thought the direction the throttle body was pointing was the front....I could be wrong.....but yea...its bee a long past couple of days...maybe i shoould actually sleep tonight.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
#723791 08/19/03 07:22 PM
S
SVTDawg Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Ha! I understand....I'm running on fumes myself.

Yeah, since it's Transverse mounted, engineer's had the option on what side to put the throttle body. Usually on a rear wheel drive, the throttle body is facing the front of the motor. Makes sense. But the SVT could go either way. More room on the back of the motor though because the pulleys aren't in the way and such. Low hood clearence. So the throttle body is facing the back end of the motor.

Anyway, I still have to find my leak! My AC is starting to smell like burning oil!

Lee

#723792 08/19/03 09:29 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:

DB

This is a V6 not a 4cyl

Duratecs use a timing CHAIN not a belt...you ahve to remove a lot to change the CHAIN.

I have not had this problme but i do have a leak comming off of the motors rear main seal....I just replaced the seal and its fine...tunrs out i busted the seal when i used 15w 50 mobil one synthetic....I had too much pressure going into the system, so i replaced the seal and use mobil on 1 5w 30....works great.

the seal you can see from the passager side wheel well when you take off the tire.

Roz

Sic 'em, Roz!

You still haven't done the rear seal, huh? No mystery there. It's not a happy job. As long as I wasn't hemmoraging oil, I'd put it off for as long as could, too.

#723793 08/20/03 06:47 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Drumbo:
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:

DB

This is a V6 not a 4cyl

Roz

Sic 'em, Roz!

You still haven't done the rear seal, huh? No mystery there. It's not a happy job. As long as I wasn't hemmoraging oil, I'd put it off for as long as could, too.

WAZZZ UPPP bro.....no, i havent wanted to cause its a pin...but i did everything else, got the car painted, have gagues, getting turbo.....im thinking of fixing the seal when i get the turbo installed in about 3 months...till then i have my trust oil pressure gague (but i have to install the sender this weekend ) to let me know if the leak gets worse..

how are things with you...havent heard form you in a while.

Roz

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard