Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Ok so I was about 10 minutes away from work and my radio started cutting on and off then finally died. At the last stop before work the car hesitated on the acceleration. Almost like a slipping clutch. Then at lunch I went to turn on the a/c and it just blew hot air and the car almost died. I go to leave home and it barely starts. Stupid me I try to leave and get about a mile down the road and the car just died on the highway. When It died I turned the key off and pulled onto the shoulder. I bought a new battery but that did nothing. The car doesnt make any noises at all. Please help

95 Contour Gl - the work beater - bought 6/15/03 88 S-10 Blazer - back up beater - owned since 89 97 Cobra Vert - my weekend toy - bought 12/01
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by Cobra97Vert:
If this fuse blew would that cause the motor to not start. I bought a new battery cause I suspect the alt went bad. Charged the battery and that didn't work. I have lights and the horn works. But when I turn the key I don't get anything, the motor doesnt crank or anything.

The Mega fuse is in main charging cable circuit between alt and starter, located along rear cylinder head next to firewall. Cable then runs from starter to bat. If this fuse is blown car will not charge, but will still operate, provided bat has power.

p.s. Seperate thread now deleted, best to run continuous thread on your problem.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Double check that connections to battery terminal are corrosion free and tight. If mtx equipped try a push start.
Was bat light on before car died?
Could be bad alt + bad starting system or connections.
Have you a voltmeter to measure bat volts?

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by horseydug:
p.s. Seperate thread now deleted, best to run continuous thread on your problem.

Thats fine but it was a new question and nobody responded to this. I bought a new battery and had it charge overnight.
I hooked up the new battery and I have power but the car still doesn't start. Won't even crank over. It is also stuck in park, I tried to put it in neutral to move it farther off the road but couldn't. All the terminals at the battery are ok. I'm at a loss for words on this

95 Contour Gl - the work beater - bought 6/15/03 88 S-10 Blazer - back up beater - owned since 89 97 Cobra Vert - my weekend toy - bought 12/01
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Brake interlock, do you have your foot on brake when you try to move gear selector to neutral?

Do your brake lights work?

And yes, check that MEGA Fuse.

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by BOFH:
Brake interlock, do you have your foot on brake when you try to move gear selector to neutral?

Do your brake lights work?

And yes, check that MEGA Fuse.

TB

yup, I put my foot on the brake pedal and its locked in place. hopefully nothing seized in place when it died

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
There is an emergency release for shift lever accessed from pass side of console. Make sure e-brake on, insert screwdriver about 2" and rotate tip towards rear.

You should check fuses 23 & 24, interior fuse panel before trying the above.

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
There is an emergency release for shift lever accessed from pass side of console. Make sure e-brake on, insert screwdriver about 2" and rotate tip towards rear.

You should check fuses 23 & 24, interior fuse panel before trying the above.

cool thanks, can you give a better description of where this release is.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Release is accessed thru small notch in pass side of console at carpet, inline with shift lever.

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Release is accessed thru small notch in pass side of console at carpet, inline with shift lever.

What I did was pull off the shifter cover and pushed the lever back. That allowed me to put the car in neutral. Now I just have to figure out whats wrong with the car now that its home

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard