Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Haven't picked it up from the dealer yet - but have just been informed that after doing the Wiring Harness Recall that the car won't idle.

The best description I have so far is - start car, take foot off the pedal, car stalls.

Back around 45K miles I remember getting the IAC replaced. A few months ago, I started getting stalling problems which were linked to a bad electical connection to the battery (obvious when the terminal/wire snaps when you're fiddling with it).

Any thoughts? What could the dealership have not done when doing the recall that might make it stall consistently? Almost sounds like I should refuse it until they're done as I didn't have the problem when I drove into the dealership (although there is a CEL)

Mike

E
E
Yeah, they may not have replaced the entire harness, not just 1 of the 4 pieces. (which I hear they are supposed to under that recall 99M03.) It's a problem I'm working on right now. Once I'm done, I'll have everything pertaining to my problem documented for everyone.

I love my Contour to death, but my 'vette is still my #1 baby.
There's money to be made in racing. I should know. I put a lot of it there.
You can make a small fortune in racing. Start with a large one.
How fast do you want to go...how much money do you have?
You can fix a lot of things, but you can't fix stupid!
R
R
Why is your foot ON the pedal when you start it ?

Pete...

98.5 SE Sport Duratec ATX (P66L)
Black Clearcoat on Greystone
DOB 11/21/1997
DOP 12/25/1997
PIAA 510 Super White Driving Lights
SVT CAT-BACK EXHAUST (No Resonator)
DiabloSport Chip (LPQ4) - Engineered To Raise Hell
Too many other mods to list...
Sounds sweet, runs quick...
Crazy Horse Dyno @ 121.4 WHP/129.6 TQ
M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ok - so the foot on pedal thing is a poor combination of words. There are several things that concern me about this latest dealership visit - although Duval Ford in Jax, FL has usually done a good job (so far)

I took it to them on Monday (last Monday). It took them until Wednesday to get the parts and when I checked today whether it was ready...they gave me a 'waiting on parts' comment.

I can't help but wonder - did they replace them one at a time? Or could the technician be inept and have messed some stuff up and had to redo the work? Could they be concealing something? I just have a bad feeling about this one.

One thing I know is - it was NOT stalling repeatedly (or at all) when I handed them the car.
I'm thinking of insisting on a test drive and then forcing them to fix the problem they created.
Guess I should add that I've been lurking in the background on this forum for at least two years, but usually not commenting on anything. Love the Contour -- that's why I bought it originally.

Mike

95 SE MTX

Q
qaz Offline
Q
I don't know if the wiring harness problem is related to the stalling problem, but I do know that the harness on the 95-97 models will eventually fail, it's only a matter of time.

So I suggest getting the dealer to replace it for free before 100,000 miles is up..

Brian

M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Actually, that's what I did - had no problems at all and took the copy of the Oasis Recall information into the dealership and asked them to do the recall at 98K miles.

Well, the car started and didn't stall when I got to it. Their suggestion is, the IAC sometimes 'sticks' when it's about to fail and it's a probable candidate for replacement. Read comments by others here - that it's a $45 part with 2 bolts...5 minute job. Found the unit at the top of the engine bay (V6) near the right rear corner of the engine, just behind the EGR.

But, the dealer did do one thing funny - I had an intermittent A/C problem (sounds very similar to what others are experiencing in current posts here) where it works fine for 20 minutes then fails for a few, then starts up again. Usually I could drive 20 minutes, park the car for 5-10, and restart it with the A/C working - if I wait 15-20 then it usually won't work for the next 25-40 minutes then may start back up blowing cold air.

Using my handy-dandy Walmart A/C gauge (about $13 including a can of R134A + Oil charge) it indicated my low pressure side was very over-pressured when it wasn't working. My suspicion (which the dealership confirmed) is the clutch wasn't working properly on the compressor. The interesting thing is - the dealership left my A/C system completely uncharged. I'm thinking - maybe I should swap the parts out myself then go back to them demanding a recharge since my system wasn't leaking.

Mike

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard