Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62983 06/10/02 06:37 PM
OP Offline
I have a 95 Mystique with 2.5L and CD4E auto. Problem: After a drive where I exceed 100KMs/Hr (We're talking Canadian here! = approx 62mph) the trans shifts very harsh from 1-2, -if I accelerate any faster than a crawl, it nearly pulls the front end out of the car!! The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts aren't as harsh, but stiffer than normal. I get no CEL but my code reader (EECIV) indicates a 628. When I clear the code, the harsh shifting goes away. The wife can putter around for a week and no problem, but when I get in it again, up to highway speed, same thing. I've done a trans flush (opened the cooler return line and bled 8 liters of Mobil1 through it!) -seemed to help smoothness, but still having problem. The trans is a replacement by the previous owner with probably 60-70k Klicks on it.
Anybody know if there's something more I can do before I submit myself to a pistol-whipping by Ford or AAMCO? or just bite the bullet. Thanks in advance for responses.

'95 Mystique LS -leather, power, Duratech, Auto frown -the wife has to drive it too!) -'89 Baby Bronc 4x4 V6, -'84 Honda Shadow
#62984 06/10/02 06:40 PM
R
R
I would find out who repaired/replaced the original tranny.
Sounds like the pump seal wasn't replaced properly.
The 95 CD4Es were prone to popping pump seals, and they required new seals and a newly designed pump.

If you do opt to get it rebuilt,
have it rebuilt with a TransGo Shift Kit.
It comes with new gaskets that are better than OEM,
and it also comes with a Valve Body Repair kit, to fix your Valve Body as well.
The Valve Bodies on the CD4E wear out prematurely.

Pete...

98.5 SE Sport Duratec ATX (P66L)
Black Clearcoat on Greystone
DOB 11/21/1997
DOP 12/25/1997
PIAA 510 Super White Driving Lights
SVT CAT-BACK EXHAUST (No Resonator)
DiabloSport Chip (LPQ4) - Engineered To Raise Hell
Too many other mods to list...
Sounds sweet, runs quick...
Crazy Horse Dyno @ 121.4 WHP/129.6 TQ

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1