Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
dellowm,
You KNOW why the cone is stainless and not ally as well as I do..!!!!!! Your a 'pump' guy! wink
Erosion?

'97 Contour SE 2.5 MTX
I had a car once that required a timing belt change every 35,000 miles which seemed kind of harsh. But it was a high reving overhead cam unit and I just bit the bullet and did what the factory ordered. I don't know whether or not changing the belt out at such low mileage was because of a bad design or not. They never looked bad when they came off the engine. Now with these water pumps, bad design or not, we're stuck with them unless we want to put in one of those expensive electric jobs. I don't think I have read of any failures before 35K miles but it seems prudent to make it a "regular" maintenance item at around that mileage. Either that or wring our hands with anticipation that "today might be the day" our pump bites it every time we drive somewhere. And I do mean replacing the whole thing, not just the impeller. That's my plan. laugh

Karl

*** It's all about consistency! ***

98 SVT Contour
86 Ranger GT
69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider
67 Formula-S Barracuda
J
Joe Offline
J
Something I've always wondered is what the best effiency point is for the OEM pump. Since impeller speed is tied to engine speed, I'm curious at what engine speed is ideal is get close to the BEP...

Joe, 98 GL sport (V6 MTX)
J
Janine Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just checked Motorcraft's site:

http://www.motorcraft.com

Anyone notice that they list list 3 different WP's, for 3 different eng. #'s, for the '96 V6???

PW-405
[Water Pump] w/Eng. #XS2E-8501CC; Includes All Models
PW-416
[Water Pump] w/Eng. #XS2E-8501CD; Includes All Models
PW-417
[Water Pump] w/Eng. #2S7E-8501BB; Includes All Models

confused

'96 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 MTX Teal
Purchased New - 9/95
43,000 Miles - I Know, I Need To Get That Water Pump Replaced!!
K&N Air Filter/K&N Oil Filter, Castrol Full Synthetic Oil - Switching to Mobile 1
Advance Auto Salesperson (When Not Working At My Reg Job [Wildlife Biologist])
(Hey, Why Not - I Get A 20% Discount & Have Access To All The Parts Catalogs!!!!)
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by sheltot:
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
[b]dellowm,
You KNOW why the cone is stainless and not ally as well as I do..!!!!!! Your a 'pump' guy! wink
Erosion?[/b]
Sorry about not replying over the weekend. Life is busy at times.
The method used is based on cost. Ford could have used other pump designs where the rear housing was all SS or some other material. It was just cheaper to make an insert (I assumed stamped)from SS. Given this the method of attachment should have been more foolproof.
The reason for decision to use the stainless steel material for the cone is simple and based on a number of variables. For the material it is a combination of combating corrosion and erosion and efficiency. The hot coolant in spite of the added corrosion inhibitors does have a certain amount of corrosive effect. Temperature accentuates this. Combine this with the continual high speed movement of fluid past the WP cone for all of the circulating coolant for the engine and gien the basic design it just makes sense to make this out of stainless steel (not sure what grade, 316 would be nice). The stable smooth surface would keep efficiency high (if it did not come loose).

And that brings us back again to the links to previous Terry Haines posts on the loose cone to destroyed WP relationship. The polymer open vane impeller could come loose first and in process of destroying itself cause the cone to loosen or vice versa. If either component is the cause (for any instance of failure) the WP failure will occur. From a engineering problem investigation root cause issue it would be critical to know if a loose cone or deteriorating plastic impeller were the issue. However from an 'owner' standpoint we can surmise that it can be either in any number of cases. Thus changing to a metal impeller eliminates one possibility and when doing so, the cone needs to inspected to make sure it is not loose in the slightest.

In the long term Ford should probably consider moving to a closed impeller design (as a standard for all of its cars) where a cone through its close mating relationship to the impeller vanes is not required to create the necessary compartmentalization and keep fluid transfer efficient. That does add moving mass over an open vane polymer impeller design.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard