Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#713837 08/07/03 04:17 PM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Yes, the difference is noticeable, especially in the lower gears.

I had an ASP UDP on for a little over 3 years, but swapped it out for a DMD. I noticed the loss of power going to the DMD. It was worth it, though, because the harshness of the vibrations at higher RPM was driving me nuts. Now it is sooooo smoooooth.

I haven't heard of a specific failure related to a UDP, and I have not had any problems related to the use of mine after 50K miles. I am not an expert on this, but my impression from everything I've read is that the DMD was developed mainly for NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) reasons and possibly because of destructive crank harmonics.

It's your choice, now that you are aware of the risks of possibly destroying your engine.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#713838 08/07/03 04:21 PM
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
UR pulleys on my ole' Sentra SE-R made a noticeable difference - improvements throughout the rev range. I am about to install the ShoShop crank pulley on my Taurus to try for better low-end. (It doesn't do away with the stock harmonic balancer, so shouldn't have much of an effect on crank harmonics.) My SVT-C is stock, but I'll probably slap on the pulleys, before long. (Those stock pulleys need a good slapping, every once in awhile.)

1999 Grand Prix GTP, with mods. Former Ride: 1998 E1 CSVT, Silverfrost Wrecked 21 Dec 03. May she rest in peace.
#713839 08/07/03 04:23 PM
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
finnally to good responses and not all this bulshit aruging if you want to help someone help don't try to hurt!!

#713840 08/07/03 10:09 PM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by cawong11:

There is no crank harmonic damper on this motor and on the other end of the crank is a Fidanza flywheel. Why are they able to run these race motors at 8500rpm all day long, and all they have is a lightweight underdrive pulley? I have also seen Leo Capaldi's engine up close and personal, and it has a UD pulley too, and is prepped by Kinetics too.

Please explain.

Couple of thoughts..
1) race engines probably running the softer trimetal/Clevite bearings which are more tolerant of crank whip than harder aluminum bearings in regular duratec.

2) If they lightened internals (ie Ti. rods) and blueprint balancing of rotaing mass (with UDP in place) harmonics could be optimized and lessened.

3) race engines do not normally last 100K + miles...stock motor, 100K+ is desireable..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
#713841 08/08/03 04:45 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
For anyone who hasn't visited Sho Shop lately....They have an UDP set that allows you to retain your stock HD. $199

a D*CK SLAP IN THE FACE IS ALL I GET FOR STICKING MY NECK OUT FOR A FORD... PLEASE DELETE MY ACCOUNT!
#713842 08/08/03 06:40 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by stepmar2:
For anyone who hasn't visited Sho Shop lately....They have an UDP set that allows you to retain your stock HD. $199

Same exact set that has been on their site for many years!

The stock harmonic dampener was designed to work attached directly to steel crank snout. Not with an aluminum medium between it and the crank. Think about that for a minute...

Also if you add the 3+ lb SHOShop pulley to the stock pulley (piggy-backing it as they "recommend") you now have a pulley combo that is over 3lbs heavier then stock (over 2lbs heavier than a DMD!)
That does not sound like an advantage to me?
Yes you still get the 17-20% underdrive, but in my experience I could not feel a difference between the stock pulley and the SHOshop pulley. (by itself even!)
The only gains I felt from UDP's were from adding the P/S pulley & an Alternator pulley. I did these at once and I'm sure the P/S pulley was 90% of the gains. I mainly did it to protect the poor accessories from the high rpm levels the engine lives at all the time.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#713843 08/09/03 12:06 AM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by CLASSVT:
Blah blah blah...Ok so enough about the DMD. Do the light weight pullies(other than crank) make a noticeable difference? Someone please for the love of cdw27's answer this question! Thanks.

Yes, I had them installed recently and notice a nice gain in HP. Even with Azenis up front, when flooring it in 1st gear in a straight line, the tires can break loose on smooth tar. Much easier to rev match... and the jump you get as soon as you hit the gas is awesome. Just do it.

99 T-Red SVT ***Intrax, Bilsteins, Azenis, Offroad Y, CAI, Tint, Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Grilles, Poly Mounts, Silverstar Bulbs, 100W Ion Fogs, Focus SVT Wheels, SHO UDP, Ford Racing Wires ***
#713844 08/09/03 07:11 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Steve Dinan says: (As in Dinan BMW)

The Danger of Power Pulleys

This guy is no idiot. What he says has truth to it, but it doesn't have to be taken as law. (Don't bother arguing the fact that he is talking about E36 BMW's instead of Contours. It all has the same effects in the long run) If I were you, I'd play it on the safe side. I personally am going to go the DMD route. If you cheat your way to quickly gain HP, the results will be brief before you have long term negative effects. I am in it for the long run myself. Don't forget about what else is hooked to the Crank pulley. (Waterpump, alternator, etc) Check and make sure turning them at different RPM is going to be safe.

-Bishop

*Invisible Hero* 1999 SVT Contour/Amazon Green Keep It Real. Beware the fury of the silent man.
#713845 08/09/03 08:24 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Peach:
Steve Dinan says: (As in Dinan BMW)

The Danger of Power Pulleys

This guy is no idiot. What he says has truth to it, but it doesn't have to be taken as law. (Don't bother arguing the fact that he is talking about E36 BMW's instead of Contours. It all has the same effects in the long run) If I were you, I'd play it on the safe side. I personally am going to go the DMD route. If you cheat your way to quickly gain HP, the results will be brief before you have long term negative effects. I am in it for the long run myself. Don't forget about what else is hooked to the Crank pulley. (Waterpump, alternator, etc) Check and make sure turning them at different RPM is going to be safe.

-Bishop

Well - you must not have blown you w/p yet or you'd know the contour water pump is not connected to the crank pulley. Also at high rpm's it's better for the accesories to be running slower - with only a very slight risk of under spinning the alterantor with extended idle times.

Lance sent an oil sample of to blackstone labs after (IIRC) about 40 or 50k miless with UDP and had no indications of abnormal bearing wear. My pulley was one off the first 25 produced by U.R. for the contour and it's been on the car for almosst 60k miles - just about 80k on the engine.

And the straight six BMW crank has to be darn near 2x as long as our V crank - making it MUCH less torsionally rigid.

But you're right that everyone seems to LOVE the DMD.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#713846 08/10/03 01:00 AM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Yes, you are right. I luckily haven't had any serious issues with my engine yet. Now that you said that, I remember now that the water pump isn't on the crank pulley. I haven't had to go into the engine for anything yet so I am not familiar with the pulley setup.

I posted the article because it has some good information regarding harmful vibrations on an engine with UDP. He does mention the E36 BMW a lot, but his information regards simple physics and therefore applies to any car with a UDP being at risk. It's just probably different time frames in which the owner will see any significant damage to the engine.

To each his own, but personally, I will go the DMD way.

-Bishop

*Invisible Hero* 1999 SVT Contour/Amazon Green Keep It Real. Beware the fury of the silent man.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard