OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
I ordered Z2,Z6,Z7,and ZFX.
This is my plan.

Wash with Dawn.
Clay with Clay Magic.
Wash with Dawn.
Bug and Tar remover and Scratch X the trouble spots.
Z7 wash
Dry with California water blade.
Apply ZFX + Z2
Wait an hour
Remove ZFX + Z2
Immediately spray Z6
ZFX + Z2
Wait an hour
Remove ZFX + Z2
Immediately spray Z6
ZFX + Z2
Wait an hour
Remove ZFX + Z2

Reapply in 6 months.
Will it last that long?
I don't have swirl marks, so no Z5 was ordered.
Did I make a mistake not getting Z5?
When I apply Z6, do I spray, then wipe, or spray, wait 5 seconds, wipe, or longer?
What do you wash the #314 applicator in when done? Dawn?

Thanks

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by HoosierContour:
Dry with California water blade.

I am not a big fan of this....I use a 'waffer' Microfiber drying towel. A good trick is, if you have a semi nice beading action now, is after you rinse your car and before you get ready to dry. Use a method some refer to call 'wet dry' What you do is take off any nozel on your hose and turn your hose down so it is not full blast. Then run the hose over your whole car starting at the top. IF your car is fairly decent paint condition the water will all gather together and run off leaving little to no water on your car. You will know what I am talking about when you do it. Then proceed to dry with the microfiber with no effort at all. Should take less than 10 minutes to dry your car with the towel. This also reduces the friction from the towel to your car. Just my .02

Other than that, the rest of your procedure looks flawless Havent used Z6 yet so no comment.

Another good sourse for these type of questions is over at Fordcontour.org . There is a section there call Wash and Wax run by a guy call DetailingDude. He really knows his stuff and has a couple of detailing guides there I highly recommend reading.

Justin Schmidt 2000 SVT Tour #1620 of 2150 Born 1/15/2000
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Your procedure looks great. Just one more recomendation: use Z6 before your first ZFX+Z2 coat as well.

Yes, it will last 6 months if you wash semi-often with Z7 followed by Z6.

Z5 is overrated IMHO except for dark colors. Even then, I don't notice any swirl cover, just a slightly different look.

Z6 procedure: Spray on applicator, wipe on car, buff off with towel. Sometimes I spray right onto the car, but it uses much more Z6. No need to wait 5 seconds, but no need to burry unless it dries.

Dawn or regular clothes detergent is find. Just no bleach or fabric softener.

If the water blade works great for you, that is fine. I, too, use waffleweave MF towels.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I am also a Zaino user. Your plan is exactly what i did. My car looks unbelieveable (its black so you get a real mirror effect). I wash once a week because i commute through NY to Stamford and i pick up a lot of dust. After the wash its right back to the way it was. Make sure your car is completely clean before you start waxing, or you will get streaking. I would go with 2 coats of Z5 (which works great) and even if you have no swirl marks, is a good intermediate protective layer. You are gonna cover it in Z2 anyway to get the good luster, so it doesnt hurt. Follow the Z5 by at least 2 coats of Z2. Using Z6 between each coat. DO NOT let the Z6 dry in the sun, it will streak badly, keep at it with the towel until its dry. Remember to use only US made white cotton towels. Be careful to continually fold the clay bar and keep the area lubricated with wash, otherwise you may pick up some grit and do a number on your paint. My friend called Zaino and got an awesome tip: use the Z2 on your wheels too. Clean them with wheel cleaner and then apply Z1 and Z2. From that point on, brake dust will literally wipe off with a towel, and it will leave your wheels very shiny. I would ditch the waterblade, I have heard you can pick up grit with that too and its all over. I use a synthetic shammy, i think its called the absorber. ACtually i noticed one thing with your plan. ZFX is a replacement for Z1, which is only used before your first coat as a Primer for the Z5/Z2. I do not think you need to/should use it past the first coat.

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
slight problem here.....where is your z1 polish lock? that is the part that you should be doing every six months....and zfx is not a replacement for z1....zfx is simply a drying agent to speed up the amount of time between coats......like japan drier......

--Chris-- 1999 Silver Frost SVT #1671 of #2760
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Process looks pretty good.

Always spray the car with Z6 prior to a coat of anything.

Here are a couple tips I picked up along the way:
- I use a foam applicator vs a cotton one. IMO the foam absorbs less of the Zaino (less wasted) and provides a smoother, more even application.
- I use a small container of water and dip the applicator into the container occassionally to keep the applicator moist. The Zaino goes on smoother and more evenly.
- I Zaino everything non-porous on the car - black trim around windows, glass, wheels, headlights, taillights, etc.

If you only plan to apply the Zaino every 6 months, I would recommend washing your car once a week and be sure to use the Z-6 after every wash.

csc -
Z1 is not needed when using ZFX

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

- I use a small container of water and dip the applicator into the container occassionally to keep the applicator moist. The Zaino goes on smoother and more evenly.

I'm pretty sure Zaino recommends you spray the applicator with z6 to keep it moist. That's what I do.
especially before starting when the applicator is completely dry.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

I'm pretty sure Zaino recommends you spray the applicator with z6 to keep it moist. That's what I do.
especially before starting when the applicator is completely dry.

True, but I've tried using the spray and water and find no difference in results.

Zaino also recommends using a combination of Z2 and Z5 - I see no difference from when I used that combination vs using just Z2 as I do now. Except that I save money by using just Z2.

Also, if your car has swirls, Zaino will do nothing for them. (Zaino fails to mention this).
Use 3M Swirl Remover as recommended by Sal himself (over the phone, not on the site of course).

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard