Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am looking at getting a new digital camera before I go off on vacation in a few weeks.

Right now, I've narrowed it down to these models:

Fujifilm Finepix 602Z (the current front-runner);
Olympus Camedia C-5050;
Canon Powershot G3; and
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

If anyone owns one of these models, I'd love to hear your opinion about it. I've read a lot of reviews - including from users themselves, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to see what fellow CEG'ers think about them.

Thanks to all in advance.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red Production #4794 of 6535 Build date: 2/25/1998
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I have a Canon Powershot S45 and an in love with it. So if one of the ones you are into is the G3, I would suggest that. Canon makes a great camera and their warrenty/repair department seems to be pretty good. My roommate(S30 owner) had a error # on his screen, it was related to the lens not moving correctly. He sent it out, they gave a confermation letter saying they got it and it would be returned shortly. It was returned a couple weeks later and fixed to like new condition.

Only other suggestion is comparing the G2 to the G3. I have read things saying what makes the G3 better isnt worth the money. ...so for what ever thats worth. Oh, and 95BlacksSE's brother uses a G2 for his hobby/business. Talking to him may offer a bit of insite.

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I've got a Sony DSC-F717 that's been an absolute joy to shoot pics with.

I see that it's not on your list, though...

No experience with the current line of digital Canons, but I've used a number of Canon SLR's over the years (T90, F1, AE1, etc.) and I swear by the Canon GL-1 I've got for video.

They are a good manufacturer and back their product, if that's worth something to you.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Right on the "front page" of www.yahoo.com they have the top 5 digital cameras...reviews..links to cheapest places to buy...

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by SaratogaSVT:

Fujifilm Finepix 602Z (the current front-runner);
Olympus Camedia C-5050;
Canon Powershot G3; and
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

If anyone owns one of these models, I'd love to hear your opinion about it. I've read a lot of reviews - including from users themselves, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to see what fellow CEG'ers think about them.

Hi there,

I am moving my summary up here to the top because my reply is getting really long! I own the Fuji and I've played with the Olympus and not the G3 but the G2. The Olympus has a fast lens IIRC and 5 megapixel sensor, however I found it hard to see details on its LCD screen and I didn't like the user interface. The Canon seems to be a great all-around camera (you can't really go wrong with Canon) - the only downside is it doesn't have as powerful a zoom (you may not care about this). If you like the Canon, I would also suggest you look into the new Sony DSC-V1 which seems to be a winner. And it is even smaller than the G2/G3/G5. As for the Nikon, I have not used that one but it looks to be a more advanced (and I'm assuming more $) alternative to the Fuji.

Be advised that if you're considering the Fuji, there is a 6MP replacement (the S7000) due in October:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03072902finepixs7000.asp

Anyways, on to my impressions of the S602Z...

I've had my Fuji S602Z for almost a year. I've gotten good use out of it and overall I've been quite happy with it. In addition to the obvious features that I've listed below, the Fuji also has a bunch of nice little features which you don't really notice until after you've gotten familiar with it. Though it is getting a bit old and there are a few things I would like to see improved, right now there aren't any other models in its price range that I would immediately choose over it. With exception perhaps of the Sony DSC-F717. The Sony has got a fantastic lens, however I have some issues with that camera which prevent me from getting it (namely, the use of memory stick and lack of a standard flash hotshoe).

Basically my reasons for choosing the Fuji were as follows:
6x optical zoom, standard flash hotshoe, good manual controls and interface (it operates like my 35mm SLR), use of CF, standard NiMH AA batteries (it has great battery life, btw), great movie mode (640x480, 30fps - length is limited by the capacity of the card), and of course the price.

Things I would really like to see improved:
Has trouble focusing in dim lighting (it lacks an AF assist light), sorta bulky (though it is already smaller than a 35mm SLR!), and more megapixels!

Note: I had some specific reasons for getting a digital camera - you may and most likely have a completely different set of criteria.

Where are you going for your vacation, and what kinds of things will you be doing there? If you're just looking for a vacation/snapshot cam, these cameras are a bit overkill IMHO. If this is the case, I would consider the Canon A60/A70 (I got an A60 a month ago). The A60/A70 are compacts that will fit in your pocket and take surprisingly good photos. They also have Tv/Av/manual exposure control for when you desire some "creative control".

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you wish to take this off-line.

Gerald

'98 GL V6/MTX (Plenty of mods... in my basement) '88 ST165 (mild mods, stock 8psi)
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I have the Canon G5, much like the G3, except for the 5 Megapixel CCD.

The good:
1. Beautiful color clarity
2. Lots of Auto and manual modes
3. Takes an adapter to mount other lenses
4. Good battery life when not using the lcd
5. Goof flash
6. Manual white balance
7. Takes pictures in RAW mode in manual mode, which is uncompressed and unprocessed and lossless
8. Great 8x10 enlargements
9. Takes Compact Flash media, which are cheap, large and re-usable in my PDA, laptop reader and mp3 player
10. Standard flash shoe
11. Good menu system

The bad:
1. Only 4x optical zoon, with an additional 4x digital
2. Flash is a little weak

I got it on one of the days Dell Small Business was having a 15% off sale and I had a coupon code for another $30 off. These sales are frequent. Wound up being only $629 with tax, free delivery. It compares very well with the others and it costs a lot less when on sale.

I'll post some pictures if you'd like..

Last edited by papadage; 07/31/03 12:03 AM.

99 E1 SVT Black/Tan, MSDS Headers, SHO-Shop Y, BAT Intake, Opt. TB, UR Clutch/Flywheel, Quaife, B&M, Konis, GC Coilovers, Pulley, Mintex Pads, 17" MAS Italy Rogers, Nitto 215/45/17, Portmatch, 138K
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Be sure to check the forums at www.fatwallet.com and similar sites to see if you can find a good deal.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I have a Canon Powershot S45, I love it!

http://kyle.krillusions.com Rio Red V6 ATX Cougar Roush Body Kit + Springs, 18" Axis Se7ens w/ Toyo FZ4 Rubber, Dual Magnaflow exhaust, AEM Intake, Tint, other goodies.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The key to good digital picture once you've gotten beyond the Mpixel, lens zooms and features is it's low light fidelity. By low light I don't mean shooting in dark or near dark. What I mean is, given a composition there are bright areas and dark areas in the picture. The ability of the camera's sensor and image processing sophistication of those dark areas will determine the final stored image being a 'good' image to a 'great' image. Most cameras take good pictures when the subject is well lit and there are no shadows in the picture. But unless you are in a studio that's unavoidable.

The long and short of it is that Canon has the edge when it comes to sensor and image processing capabilities. I would whole heartily recommend Canon cameras especially for the casual users who do not/can not control lighting in their pictures like the pro's do.

The Canon model you should get will determined by the price point you are looking and the size you are willing to put up with.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
First off, thanks to all of you for your comments - I figured I'd get a good cross-section of people and their opinions.

I think I am going to put off my purchase until the Fuji S7000 is released in October. Or, more accurately, I'm going to put off my purchase until I've read some reviews (cnet.com, dpreview.com, and imaging-resource.com) of its features, performance, imaging quality, etc.

At first glance, it seems that Fuji has taken the best of the S602Z and mated it to a 12-megapixel (!) camera. Yes, I know is actually a 6-megapixel camera, but I suppose it all depends on how you count. The suggested retail price - and they always sell for anywhere from $50 to $100 less than that - is $799, which is a price point that I think I am comfortable with. Also, there is the new Fuji S5000, which is already in stores, and is basically an S602Z with a 10x lens - but the same megapixel count. It also has a different CCD, and does come with a threaded lens for filters, etc. (I hate that the manufacturers milk you for an extra $20-$50 for an attachment whose sole purpose is to allow the attachment of threaded components to your camera. Just thread the darn lens already!) Also, the S5000 lacks manual white balance, which is a bit off-putting.

I looked at the Sony F717, but the design just puts me off - and while it may have a great lens and good imaging quality, it looks exceedingly unwieldy to use/carry/store.

The Nikon 5700, from the reviews I have read, takes great pictures but has impenetrable menus to use it on anything other than full auto.

The Canon G3 (and G5) both look pretty good - in fact, the G3 may become an even better bargain because of a price drop with the introduction of the G5. I think the Canon is my second choice.

So, I'll go on vacation with my pokey 2-megapixel Kodak DC280 (which, I should add, takes some pretty damned good pictures), and I'll buy a new camera after I've paid off my vacation. Heck, it's my birthday in late September anyway, so this will be my present to myself.

Incidentally, for my vacation I am saddling up the SVT and driving cross-country to Calgary, to visit my old college roommate and his wife. Leaving two weeks from tomorrow!

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red Production #4794 of 6535 Build date: 2/25/1998
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard