Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mtk2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Everyone or anyone who may be able to shed some light...I have a 96 SE with 76,000 miles and have recently noticed a creaking noise coming from the right front suspension. I jacked the car up and determined the noise is coming from the area where the bottom part of the spring meets the cradle part of the strut. I tried spraying it with lubricant which quieted it down for a while but it does not last. I do not have to exert much downward pressure on the fender to get the spring to creak. Anyone have an idea why this would be happening? I don't believe the spring is shot nor do I think the strut is. Is there some sort of bushing that may be worn out where the spring seats in the strut? Not really familiar with springs and struts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't kno what it is but mine makes the same noise at times.. But mine is comming from the left side..

John
1996 Ford Contour 2.0 Liter Turbo 5spd/ Pioneer 6.5" Television / DEH8000 CD Player/ Darkened Tail Lights/Shaved Emblems/ 17" Ultra Nocturno Rims 205/40-17's/ Custom Painted Cowl,Wipers, And Mirror Mounts/ Shaved Front Tag Holes And Window Squirters/ High Flow Catalytic Converter/Ford 9mm Spark Plug Wires/ Custom Exhaust Catalytic Back/Hyper White Lights/ Superchip/K&N Air Filter/Shortened Fubo Antenna/Billet Rear Antenna/
BNMotorsports White Face Gauge W/ Red Numerics And Matching HVAC Panel/H&R Coil Over Springs.
E
E
There is a recall of the front springs somewhere let me try to find it.

*EDIT* All Data page on 96 Contour Go down to the General Recalls and there is this:
98M04 JAN 99 Campaign - Front Coil Springs Sagging/Broken
So check with your service adviser to see if it's been taken care of.

'95 Contour GL, zetec mtx, drop in K&N, exhaust res removed, 4 10" Kenwoods powered by 1000W Visonik amp, 4 5"x7"/6"x8" Visoniks

"Buy American or apply for Japanese welfare."

www.geocities.com/fordcontour05/contour.html
M
mtk2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am the original owner and have not had the coils replaced as I don't qualify for that recall. I don't notice any corrosion on the springs and there is no sagging. I ran my fingers over as much of the spring as I could and no cracks are apparent. Like I said, the sound looks to be coming from where the spring sits on the the strut. Anyone know if there should be some type of bushing in there? It seems like there would be more people out there with this problem. I don't beat on the vehicle and drive mostly on the highway. I think I will try and turn the spring to see if will alleviate the problem. Anyhoo, thanks for the help or any further ideas.

H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by mtk2000:
.... Like I said, the sound looks to be coming from where the spring sits on the the strut. Anyone know if there should be some type of bushing in there? ..
Spring just sits on strut at bottom however there is a bearing at top (which I just learned about) read this topic and one of my posts lists components:

http://www.contour.org/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007448

I wonder if you could be mistaken re origin and that sound is actually being generated up top and transmitted down the spring, radiating from bottom at strut? [Your experience with lubricant does, of course, dispute this theory]

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 110,000km
97 Contour LX v6 atx 125,000km
stock CD on LS, cass on LX
spoiler, tinted windows on LS only
4 wheel discs on LX only
All other available options on both
J
J
I've had the same problem mostly on the left side. It creaks over small bumps at slow speeds and when I get in and out of the car. The dealer has lubed it a couple of times. Each time the problem goes away for awhile, but eventually comes back. It's back again now so it's time for more lube.

:rolleyes:

- Jim

'96 Mystique GS, Ztech - ATX,
with CD changer, Sylvania Cool Blues, sunroof, keyless entry, and 9mm blue wires
M
mtk2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the help. I think I'll try placing a thin piece of plastic between the coil and strut to act as a bushing to see if it silences it, since JWard seems to have the same problem and lubing it doesn't resolve the issue.

M
M
My 97 Mystique started doing the same thing at about 60,000 miles. I believe it is a bushing. I had a Ford Grenada that did the exact same thing and it was the bushings.

I own a 95 Contour Gl and I also have the same noise it has 89000 on it and like eeryone says it is only at slow speeds.... I can hear it when I turn the steering wheela s well. It is annoying...

modifactions are a 2000 deck lid with spoiler, wood grain dash with Pioneer 50x4 cd player, 5 spoked alloy rims full bra, K&N air filter, tinted head light covers, fog lights..... I am looking for more ideas too modify my car any ideas.... 5% tint on windows... more mods to follow... cold air intake and new exaust.
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by mtk2000:
I am the original owner and have not had the coils replaced as I don't qualify for that recall.
So what part of the recall didn't you understand ???

This effects ALL CONTOURS, and effects the ORIGINAL COIL SPRINGS.

I would think that a trip to your dealer was in order.
They need to verify it with the VIN from your Tour.

Pete...

98.5 SE Sport Duratec ATX (P66L)
Black Clearcoat on Greystone
DOB 11/21/1997
DOP 12/25/1997
PIAA 510 Super White Driving Lights
SVT CAT-BACK EXHAUST (No Resonator)
DiabloSport Chip (LPQ4) - Engineered To Raise Hell
Too many other mods to list...
Sounds sweet, runs quick...
Crazy Horse Dyno @ 121.4 WHP/129.6 TQ
Page 1 of 2 1 2