Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
unreal...

DD

3463/6535 gone!! 03 ZX5/SVTF pitch black "he is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose"
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
agreed- lance is incredible. another amazing victory in one of the most well-regarded sporting events in the world.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
but at the same time, too bad it is a one man show. if it wasnt for lance, the tour de france wouldnt get much of the US's attention.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Benard Hinault could have won Seven if it were not for his knees. In 83 he was in lead and stopped because of his knees

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Lance is definitely the man, but I would say he's anything but inhuman. This closest of all wins kind of proves that.

And don't forget that, so far, he has only matched the feat already accomplished by Miguel Indurain.

Lance admitted post race that he may have been a bit too confident, but that he will not make that mistake again. I can't wait for next year. At this point, if he wins a sixth, ever, he will be regarded as the best of all time. All that, and a personality, too. (Unlike Indurain.) And an American. (Even better.) A Texan, at that. (In your face, Europe.)

On a different subject: I find it comforting that when Armstrong fell, the field (including Ulrich) waited for him to regain his position. This act of sportsmanship (which reciprocated a similar act by Armstrong the last time he faced Ulrich in the TDF) cost Ulrich seconds, rhythm, and possibly a win (depending on your estimation of Ulrich.) When Lance waited, he was in control. When Ulrich waited, he was desperate to gain it, but he did the right thing. A win based on a fallen yellow jersey would not have been a real win for him. "May the best man win," he said.

I find all the finishers to be world class athletes. For Armstrong to be on top of such a group, five years in a row, seems all the sweeter knowing this.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:
Benard Hinault could have won Seven if it were not for his knees. In 83 he was in lead and stopped because of his knees

Yes, but team politics gave him a win TDF too. Lemond was poised to pass him in overall classification (in 85 I think?) but the D.S. told him to just follow Fignon's wheel.

Lemond probably would have had more as well if it wasn't for that gunshot wound. That's another amazing american comeback, to win 2 TDFs after getting shot.

Still, you can't take anything away from the badger. He was awesome...

98 GL sport (V6 MTX) The Durable Duratec? - (DMD, Metal impeller WaterPump, Synth & Stinky in the tranny)
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Lance is definatly human, but he is one hell of a human!

:side note:
Are any of you guys cyclists? I'm just wondering. If you guys can't tell by my sig, I'm a cyclist (and a runner, too). I consider myself a relatively strong rider. For example, I did a duathlon this weekend (run 10K, bike 40K, run 5K) and my bike pace over a hilly course was 20.5 mph. I was pumped! To avg. over 20 mph on a hilly course was great for me! In fact, I had the 7th (out of 60) fastest bike pace. I even got 7th overall. [pats self on back]
:end side note:

What these guys do in the Tour is AMAZING. They average 30mph easy...over hundreds of miles...day after day. I don't think cycling gets the credit it deserves over here in the States. (It's also a shame that there are way too many cocky and arrogant cyclists here in the US ) That's why I think it's sooo cool to see a lot of Americans kick ass in the Tour. To have Lance win 5 times in a row is just plain awesome. I'm kinda glad he had a hard tour this year, cause it shows the world that he's not invincable, and it shows that he sure as hell knows how and when to ride hard. He rode his guts out this year against an amazingly elite group of athletes. I'm proud of him.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by PackRat:
I wonder if all that radiation didn't turn him into some kind of incredible hulk kind of creature.

The funny thing is, that is what the European (and especially French) press was reporting about his chemo after his comeback in '99..

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by dcl:
Originally posted by PackRat:
I wonder if all that radiation didn't turn him into some kind of incredible hulk kind of creature.

The funny thing is, that is what the European (and especially French) press was reporting about his chemo after his comeback in '99..

Nothing breeds suspicion like success. He's faced doping and steroid charges, too.

BTW, Derk, I still consider myself a cyclist, but I'm on a bit of a hiatus. Haven't really been out at all this year, and I've been pretty low key for a while. I used to "commute" to work a few times a week in the summer months. Different job, now, with different roads, and no showers or bike parking. My peak performance was probably that one "metric century" way back in '92. I can't imagine doing twice that mileage every day, in the mountains...

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
if he wins again next year he sets a new world record.

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson. Why do you need the cats when u have dogs 04 WRX - TOTALED 3-5-05 Previoius Owned: 96 Contour LX with svt kit
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard