Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
E
i ask cause i got one repaired the other day and it went flat again instantly. i looked at it and the "repair" was just a big brown booger over the part that the nail went through. is that all there is to tire repair? or is this shop doing a halfass job?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
I think usually that all there is to it...

Steve

Steven. L. Benthal Jr. 98 Mystique: Meshed Grille & Pioneer Sound System
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Eli:
i ask cause i got one repaired the other day and it went flat again instantly. i looked at it and the "repair" was just a big brown booger over the part that the nail went through. is that all there is to tire repair? or is this shop doing a halfass job?

Are you talking about the "big brown booger" being on the outside or the inside of the tire?

There are two accepted ways to fix a nail puncture, that I'm aware of.

1) Plug - This is done without un-mounting the tire. A piece of material (not sure what it is) is saturated with rubber glue and pushed into the hole using a toll similar to a leather awl. The end that is left sticking out is cut off and that is it. It's not a good way to do it but it is done quite often.

2) Patch - The tire is removed from the rim and the area around the puncture on the inside of the tire is scored with a) sandpaper or b) a grinding tool. This area then is coated with rubber glue as is a piece of rubber patch. They are both allowed to set for a short period while they get tacky and then the patch is place over the hole on the inside of the tire and a roller is used to firmly press it against the tire carcuss. This is, by far, the better and safer method.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Alan

03 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 98 Mystique 2.5 MTX 99 SVT - Inheriting Lil Monster's parts 98 SVT - Lil Monster (RIP) 183.7 whp Quaife/Fidanza/UR UD Clutch AFE/MSDS/SHO-Y/Bassani/MagnaCore GC/Koni/22mmR/EndLinks/ES/ KVR Slotted/1144's/SS Lines/MASItaly
E
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
E
booger's on the outside. how long does it take to mount and unmount a tire?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
an experienced tire person can dismount a tire from a rim in about 2 minutes, if already flat, 1 minute.

Fixing a flat with the only accepted way by me, with a patch can take 15-20 minutes with some time to cure the patch glue and test the leak in a water tank(yes this is what I used to do in the shop)
and then remount the tire 2 minutes... done,

so about a half hour, thats if the shop isn't too busy, and if you carried the tire in, if you have your car, usually it'll take longer for a walk in appointment.

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
BTW, I really feel that Plugs aren't as accepted as they once were..
For the exact reason you mentioned... they fail...

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
There are 3 ways to patch your tire, plug, patch, and a combo plug patch, the plug patch is what most shops use and is the most effective way of patching a tire, but if the puncture is within an inch of the sidewall most shops will not patch the tire...

Patching a tire is fairly simple with the right tools, but seeing as how you would never unseat the bead without the right equipment, then your only option is to plug it yourself, or take it to a GOOD shop and have them use a plug patch...

Plugging is simple, just read the directions on the back of the little pack

~*TJ*~ 97 GL Sport Zetec MTX ~*RIP*~ Connie~*1/21/02* Sold the Zetec, now the prouud owner of an 01 VW GTi VR6 - Sold the GTI now have 97 Mustang Cobra
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
A Plug will void any Tire Warranty you have.

A Patch will keep your Tire Warranty safe.

Stop by a Sears Auto center and ask them how they fix flat tires.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
also they cannot patch a tire if the hole is within an inch or the sidewall because the patch must be flat and not have any curves or it will not get a proper seal and thats when they usually use plugs to fix the tire.and if the hole is bigger then 3-4 millimeters then the plug will not work at all.

Wht 98 Zetec Vct 2 12'MTX thunder 3000, logic 500W amp,8 interior speakers:2 sony mobile Es 6*9 250W,2 JVC 6*9 200W Sony 208W cd receiver,Streetglow blacklight interior trim C.A.I. transgo shift kit,

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard