#701311 07/23/03 07:56 PM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Criminals Could Avoid Court by Saying Sorry
Tue July 22, 2003 10:24 AM ET
LONDON (Reuters) - Criminals could avoid being taken to court if they agree to apologize personally to their victims, under plans outlined by the UK government Tuesday.
The proposals -- dubbed "restorative justice" -- could see offenders held to account by their victims, in some cases by-passing the court system, Home Secretary David Blunkett said.

"Supporting victims and witnesses better is not just about what happens in the courtroom, it is also about the impact that crime has on their lives," he added in a statement.

"Being a victim of crime can be a harrowing and traumatic experience...Restorative justice means victims can get an apology from their offender.

"It (also) provides the victim with an explanation of why the crime was committed."

The announcement comes just a week after figures showed a 28 percent rise in violent crime in England and Wales over the past year.

The data also showed a 16 percent increase in drug-related crime, although overall crime dropped by two percent.

The Home Office said the initiative would target offenders guilty of anti-social behavior as part of a wider strategy to put victims at the center of the criminal justice system.

It will be used to keep some offenders away from court, as well as being tied into sentencing and probation conditions, a spokesman said.

The scheme brings victims and offenders into contact, either face-to-face or through a mediator. As well as helping victims, restorative justice "forces offenders to understand the damaging effect their crimes have on their victims," the spokesman said.

The Chief Executive of charity Victim Support, Dame Helen Reeves, said the strategy was good news for victims of crime.

"This strategy brings the promise of statutory rights for victims...which should bring substantial benefits for people whose needs have too often been overlooked in the past," she said

linky

This is just too good to pass up. Feels good and it feel right too, eh ???
DD

3463/6535 gone!! 03 ZX5/SVTF pitch black "he is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose"
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
That's it.

I'm moving to England and start a life of crime.

I'd have the best sob stories around:

"I needed your Ferrari so I could sell it to get a transplant for xyz"

"I wanted to sell your Rolex to donate the proceeds to AIDS research"

"I beat you up because I thought you were the guy who raped my wife"

Just think, celebrity shoplifters could get away with absolute mayhem in Soho...

We seriously need a dumba$$ graemlin. Crap like this just begs for it.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
wow, that sounds like something you would hear coming out of france

"What did you think about that Dorothy girl?" "The whole Judy Garland thing kinda turned me on. That doesn't make me some sort of fag does it? "Nah baby, your money." 98 Black SVT #3560 of 6535
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Well, this is an iffy subject here. I think they are more so talking about ppl getting into fights. I am sure they don't relate to stealing and murder. I mean what are they going to say? "Sorry I killed you, but you were DAMN ugly. I thought I was doing the community a service."
I am sure it's a way out for the little crimes. It also stated though that it will come with probation, so they aren't just going to get out of it by saying sorry, they'll avoid jail, but they will be on probation.

I still don't think it's too good of an idea though. I think it'll give ppl the idea that they can beat the crap out of every Tom, Dick, and Harry, and so long as they say they are sorry, they won't go to jail.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I just wish it worked for speeding tickets

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
All I know is CBM would not win in that situation.

Link Copied to Clipboard