Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Got bad news yesterday, they told me my automatic transmission is cooked. They said the fluid was black (was flushed 1 year ago.)

Ford quoted 2660 to replace transmission

I have 95 Contour w/4 cyl

It just started jumping out of drive over 50 mph, also shifting hard into 2nd.

Under 50, it seems to stay in 2nd.

When I shift from netural to drive, it jumps harder than it used to.

Last year it did the same thing. They replaced the speed sensor and the MLP switch & flushed the fluid /changed the filter.

Both times this failure happened, I'd had the car at speeds over 110 the day before. (I don't do that often)

The tech just drove it around & checked the dipstick this year.

The car / trans has 97K miles, the engine has 72K (engine was replaced under warrenty) The car is in good shape, I'm the orignal owner.

Here's my questions for the forum

1. Anyone hear of these trasmissions having a problem like this ?

2. Would it be worth replacing the trans for 2660 ?

3. Anyone think of anything I should try before saying yes replace ?

4. I'm wondering if trying to replace the MLP switch again & flushing the system might work.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I would jack up the license plate and drop in another car. It isn't worth it.

H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:
1. Anyone hear of these trasmissions having a problem like this ?

2. Would it be worth replacing the trans for 2660 ?

3. Anyone think of anything I should try before saying yes replace ?

4. I'm wondering if trying to replace the MLP switch again & flushing the system might work.

1.) Yes, I had to replace the ATX in my Sport back in October. I'm the third owner of the car AFAIK, and I suspect the fluid had never been changed, which broke down and stopped protecting the tranny. Your tranny may have already been failing, and flushing it only delayed the inevitable. Also, it isn't uncommon for a tranny to fail not long after a flush where the tranny hadn't been flushed for many tens of thousands of miles. Searching the Transmissions forum will probably yield an explanation of this far better than I could do.

2.) Hmm... My replacement was $2200 total, including replacing a broken tranny mount. I'm sure you could find a better deal if you shop around. I think that had I more time, I could have gotten a better deal myself.

3.) I'm not a tranny tech, so I can make any kind of real diagnosis (especially over the internet) but the symptoms don't sound very good. You could always take the car to another shop for a second opinion. For $2000+ I think this may be worth the trouble.

4.) If the tranny is in fact cooked, it needs to be replaced. Year old fluid turning completely black is a very bad sign. I don't want to quash any hope, but like I said, it doesn't look good.

Here's a link about flushing a high-mileage transmission. Linky. Keep in mind that many people disagree about this, so I guess its really up to you to read and decide for yourself.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by 2X95SEs:
I would jack up the license plate and drop in another car. It isn't worth it.

Well that's kind of final, any comment on why you would say this ?

As I stated above, aside from the trans, everything else is perfect. The A/C is colder than my new truck, just put new tires on it. There's no rust, the paint still shines.

Knowing this information, you would still say I just junk the car ? Or part it out ? ?

Why ? Please back up your statment.

C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by hetfield:
... You could always take the car to another shop for a second opinion. For $2000+ I think this may be worth the trouble.

... I don't want to quash any hope, but like I said, it doesn't look good.

... Here's a link about flushing a high-mileage transmission.

hetfield, Thank you for your detailed reply. I shall ask a few shops to look at it.

If the worst is true, I guess a hard decision be will needed.

I may just want to "band-aid" it, in order to get someone to buy it.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

BAD CARMA!!!! This will come back to bite you, if you would really do that to somebody.

I think I would fix it right, drive it for another six months to a year, then perhaps trade it in. That'll give you plenty of time to mull over your options for a replacement, get back some of your investment by continuing to drive a car without a car payment, and know you're driving a properly repaired vehicle.

My $0.02

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I would def. fix it. But I would still look around for a better price. I have 160k miles on my car, and the engine is still as strong as when it was brand new. with a brand new tranny, who knows how long this car will last for you. this car will pay for itself in about six months as opposed to a new car payment. You could always take it to a tranny shop and get a second opinion, and also they will probably charge a lot less than the dealership, and they're more specialized in trany's so they will probably do a better job. Please don't band-aid it. tourdeforce is right about badcarma.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
If I had to take a stab at what was wrong, over the net it is really kinda hard ya know, I would have to suspect at the very least a busted Forward/Direct drum assy and damage to the forward clutch pack. This is seems to make sense to me since you had the car at a high rate of speed just the day before. Why? The fordward & coast clutch assy had numerous design changes over the years because of this problem, premature failure to the forward & coast clutches while driving at a high rate of speed for extended periods of time. It was not until the `98 model year that FilterTek got a holt of the filter and found that it was a starvation issue and redesigned the filter.... problem solved.

Would it be worth allowing the dealer to replace the unit for over $2660? As said before, I would shop around. Be prepared to have the other shop tell you that you will have to agree to pay a certain amount up front or taged on the end for them to tear it down and fully inspect the unit. Then you will actually be able to weigh your options from there.

For the same model year tranny, I had one rebuilt for $2200 and change! That included a ton of hard parts, including a new pump assy, reworked valve body, all new Kevlar composite clutches, all new sensors (it was a 94 case, so the solenoid block had to be changed as well), Forward drum assy, filter (which is not servicable since it is located in the center of the case, Mine is now a FilterTek), a final drive plantary gear and both front and rear roll restricters.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
H
H
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

BAD CARMA!!!! This will come back to bite you, if you would really do that to somebody.

I think I would fix it right, drive it for another six months to a year, then perhaps trade it in. That'll give you plenty of time to mull over your options for a replacement, get back some of your investment by continuing to drive a car without a car payment, and know you're driving a properly repaired vehicle.

My $0.02

I agree. And you have to ask yourself if you really like your car in other respects. If not, then the above advice would definitely apply. If you do, however, I would say spend the money on the repair and keep the car. Yes $2000+ is a large chunk of money, but once you get a rebuilt tranny installed and keep it maintained (fluid flush on a regular basis, regular fluid inspections, updated turbine speed sensor) that "new" tranny should last beyond the life of the rest of the car. That's what I did, and I'm happy I did it. I'd rather have my Sport than something else. And, not that this would apply to you, but if I had to trade in my 'tour last year and start making payments on a new car, I never would have been able to get my SVT. See what Karma can do for you?

Its ultimately your decision, but think it through before dumping the car on someone else.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by hetfield:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

My $0.02

Okay, here's the deal, From Kelly blue book, the cars value,
Consumer Rated Condition: Fair
Private Party Value $1,750
Consumer Rated Condition: Good
Private Party Value $2,130
Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
Private Party Value $2,455
Now, If I need to put 2 grand into it in order to get 1750 to 2400 out of it ? duh - not worth it.
If I needed to buy another car, yes, the payments for a new car would end up being allot more in the long term.

-- But wait a sec before you all flame me.... I own two other vehicles already, so what ever I could "unload" the Contour for, I'd be far ahead.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my Contour, I've owned it since new and it's been a Great car.

If I can get it fixed for 500 to 800 bucks, yes I'd do it.
But if it's going to be 2 grand, I could sell it as is and get 1000 - 1200, that would fine.
I could start driving the truck I already have.
Worry about Carma ? No, the buyer would know what their getting.
Well, time will tell, I'm going on vacation Wednesday, I'll be towing my other car w/ enclosed trailer to a car show in Pontiac MI, I'll worry about the Contour after I get back.
(I don't want to raid the bank account before the trip)
Thanks for everyone's comments, hopefully I haven't upset anyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard