Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61455 05/22/02 10:44 PM
N
Norman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
My 98 Contour is in the shop as I type this. Ford is replacing the right front shaft and wheel bearing. Ford tells me the right front shaft is longer than the left shaft and the right shaft has a bearing on it the left doesn't have. Is it normal that a both bearings on the right side need replacing after only 79,000 kilometres? I've owned many front wheel drive cars and never changed a wheel bearing in my life. I take good care of my cars and don't drive them hard or off pavement.

I've read threads in here about wheel bearings but this is the first time I've heard of a bearing in mid shaft on the right side. Did I understand the technician properly or is he feeding me BS?

Norman
Montreal Canada
1998 LX V6 ATX
Leather
Moon Roof
CD
PW PL AC Cruise RKE
#61456 05/22/02 11:37 PM
C
C
The tech is right about the passenger side drive axle being longer than the driver's side axle. I've replaced both front wheel bearings, and I never heard of an inner one on the pass. side. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. Oh and for the record ford wheel bearings suck.

95 T-Red SE MTX
Eibach springs, Custom cat-back exhaust, Cross-drilled front rotors, Momo air race leather shift-knob, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood 600w amp, 2 12" Infinty's, 18" Tantrums w/ Yoko Paradas, SCA CAI
#61457 05/25/02 01:50 PM
T
T
The 'jackshaft' has a support bearing that bolts to the cyl block, its very close to the exhaust system and if the heat shield for it has been removed for any reason , it will fail in a ver short time...

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard