Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Does anyone have an instrument cluster (w/ tach) schematic for a 98+ Zetec cluster? I have one that I want to install but something on the speedo board is fried because when I attempted to install it the other day, smoke started coming from the connector. Do the cd-rom manuals come with detailed schematics? If so, could someone send me one via email? Thanks for your help!

1997 Contour GL Sport ATX
Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-204)
Fram Sure Drain System
Ford Motorsport 9mm Racing Wires
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Kenwood in-dash CD player
Infinity 5752cf speakers
World Champion New England Patriots Fan for Life!

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-210)
H
H
This thread from Zetec forum will show you a non-smoking version, adding to the thread may solicit specific advice.

http://www.contour.org/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=001025

While I have hard copy of '97 wiring manual unable to e-mail, but could answer specifics. Having a '98 I also know, for example, that warning lights have different configuration.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 110,000km
97 Contour LX v6 atx 125,000km
stock CD on LS, cass on LX
spoiler, tinted windows on LS only
4 wheel discs on LX only
All other available options on both
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks horseydug, I tried posting in that other topic, but so far nothing. All I really need is a detailed schematic of the instrument cluster so I can attemp to replace the parts that are fried. If anyone has a schematic that they could scan and send me or something like that, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I'll be out the money that I spent on the damn cluster which is not making me happy. mad

Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Fram Sure Drain System
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Infinity 5752cf speakers

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
H
H
Your welcome, and yeh I noticed you're being ignored. Catching last post on page 1 doesn't help.
I'll see if I can stir it up. smile

4 wheel discs on LX only
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks man, I really want to fix this cluster cause it looks sooooo sweeeeet in my car!

do you know if I can swap the speedo out of my tachless cluster with the one in the new cluster? that might solve my problem and also read the correct mileage. let me know if it's possible.

Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Fram Sure Drain System
Pirelli HPs
Infinity 5752cf speakers

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
H
H
You're probably in better position to answer since they're right in front of you, and I think physical rather than electric compatibilty is the question.
Diameter and guage light positioning is the first thing I would check for compatibility.
If the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) has different gear ratios for different models (tire size and perhaps drive ratio can vary) then you may also need to change it.

4 wheel discs on LX only
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Salvi:

do you know if I can swap the speedo out of my tachless cluster with the one in the new cluster? that might solve my problem and also read the correct mileage. let me know if it's possible.
yes, all you really have to do is pop out the milage wheel and insert yours in it's place, they will only go in one direction so the milage isn't hard to get right. it's easier than trying to set the new one. You can go forward, but not back so I'd just swap out odomotor wheels.

James
jpett@flash.net

StolonTour97
Riding on 17" ADR Trauma's wrapped in Falken ZE512 215/40/ZR17
J
OP Offline
J
The old speedo is one of the larger ones. Is it going to fit correctly in the smaller speedo found in the cluster w/ tach? I'm assuming it is the face that is larger and not the circuit board, etc. behind it, but I'm not sure. I haven't opened my old cluster yet because I don't want to break anything. Will the speedo out of the tachless cluster have the white connector on the circuit board to plug into? The one on the cluster w/ tach has a white connector and that is what started smoking and burning the copper wires when I attempted to install it the other day. Thanks again for your help.

Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Fram Sure Drain System
Pirelli HPs
Infinity 5752cf speakers

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
J
J
I don't know how to best describe it. You don't take the entire speedo guts out of your old one. All you swap is the number bar that shows the milage. it just pops out and you then can put it into the new one. if you swap the guts of the old tachless cluster, the speed will be off because the gauge is larger than the on w/ the tach. Just pull out the milage wheel, simple enough?

James
jpett@flash.net

StolonTour97
Riding on 17" ADR Trauma's wrapped in Falken ZE512 215/40/ZR17
J
OP Offline
J
My problem is not with the mileage, it's with something on the circuit board of the speedo. when I attempted to install the unit, smoke came from the connector and some of the copper circuits on the back of the cluster (ribbon tape) got real hot and opened up. Not a good sign! I desperately need a detailed schematic of the entire cluster so I can better diagnose the problem (replacing diodes, chips, etc...), if that is even possible at this point. I thought that maybe I'd be able to swap the entire speedo (minus the face) from my old one with the new one that doesn't work. If this will work then I'll do it, but other than that, I fear that I'm out the $$$ I spent on the damn thing as the person I bought it from won't warranty it or give me my money back. Can anyone else offer any help with the schematic? Thanks!

Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Fram Sure Drain System
Pirelli HPs
Infinity 5752cf speakers

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard