Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I'm planning on doing the intake overhaul, but I don't have the correct tools to torque the bolts in inch-lbs.

is there an alternative, or how expensive would the correct tools be?

Black E0 SVT
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I payed around 65 dollars at sear for my torque wrench. You can allways buy one and return it if your money is tight. 2plus2 cleaner from NAPA help's when cleaning. Its strong stuff.

"SOMETIMES IT TAKES PAIN TO MAKE THE BRAIN WORK HARDER" M.O.B
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
A torque wrench capable of reading the ranges you will need can be had for anywhere from ~$20 to ~$80. Check at Sears or Pep Boys for a "beam" type lb-in torque wrench - maybe around $20-$30.

I personally prefer the "clicker" types because you don't need to be able to see the torque scale when in use.

'95 Contour SE, MTX, Champagne '03 EB Expedition, Med Wedgewood Blue
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
ok, i'll check it out, thanks.

Black E0 SVT
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Use Valvoline's Synthetic Carb, Throttle Body and Choke cleaner. THE best by FAR. I've tested a number of TB cleaners out there (gumout, motorcrafts best stuff, STP, etc) and the Valvoline SynTech stuff absolutely blew away all the other cleaners. Carb deposits MELT away with that stuff!! Hard to find though, I coudln't get it anywhere this last weekend when I overhauled my Intake manifolds... :/ I would say the Motorcraft combined with the Gumout did the second best job (gumout's stuff is like $1.67/can at walmart, so get like 6 or 8 of them, you'll need it all!!)

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
How do you know that the deposits are actually getting cleaned off? I did this with the Motorcraft stuff and I'm not sure that it did any good. All I got out of it was a CEL.

Darren '98 Mystique LS -Duratec, MTX Nakamichi CD-40z, Knauberized, KKM tru rev intake, 9MM Motorsport Wires, SVT Springs/Struts
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Um, the intake manifold how-to involves removing the intake manifolds, so you can readily see them. I'm assuming you think we aren't removing them?

black walls = carbon buildup
clean metal walls = clean

M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I'm looking over the list of parts for this, and the fuel pressure regulator is $40. Is that a good idea to replace it @ 100,000 miles... or is it not needed?

Black E0 SVT
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
It's probably fine, I replaced mine for the heck of it. The old one didn't seem to have any problems and looked perfect when I took it off.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
It's probably fine, I replaced mine for the heck of it. The old one didn't seem to have any problems and looked perfect when I took it off.

ditto, but I replaced mine just in case, i mean shoot, you're in there, the fuel line is already drained for replacing the injector O-rings, I figured why not? I'd hate to have to do all that again if there WAS a problem down the road, but hten again, I'm just anal :P

Link Copied to Clipboard