Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I've had my 99 SVT since new, it's almost exactly 4 years old. Until now I've never had any sort of throttle hang or moosing problems during the 41,000 miles I've put on there.

Recently I've been experiencing the following:

With the engine cold or warm, I will usually be either pulling out of my driveway or slowing to a stop somewhere and the revs will get stuck at 2-3k and a very loud honking sound will be emitted from the engine bay. With the car stopped, letting the engine "idle" at this speed the revs will fall to the 800 area but the idle will be extremely rough. Pressing the gas and revving the engine up to 5k or so once or twice will stop the moosing.

Upon further inspection the sound appears to be coming from the airbox and is very loud with the hood open.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing the IAC is dying, or maybe the seconaries aren't closing properly all the time?

-james

99 SVT Contour
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
have you seen this FAQ? Moosing article

It happened only once on my car, never again.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Welcome to CEG!

Originally posted by J Hillyerd:
I'm guessing the IAC is dying, or maybe the seconaries aren't closing properly all the time?

Very astute. You can often get rid of the moose this way.
Cleaning the intake manifolds can do a world of good too.

As the engine and controls age, the reverse pulses in the intake airflow (worse in the SVT because of increased overlap) confuse the PCM an cause positive feedback.

This is due to IAC response and intake runner flow velocity.
The IAC resonator design, a sluggish MAF, and increased backpressure from cat's can also come into play. Anything that reduces scavenging will cause the moose to start, as well as reduced or delayed feedback response.

The popular thing here is to limit the IAC maximun throw by
installing a limiting orafice before the IAC (see TH fix), this has both good and bad effects.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
happened to me a year ago when the temp. was at about 98 degrees outside.... pretty hot day... the air box was vibrating pretty good.. that was the noise that sounded like a moose.. when i got home i opened the air box and made sure it was tight down and then put in a new air filter... i never happened again..... dont know if this cured it or not.. the next step would be to check the idle air control valve....

J
OP Offline
J
I tried replacing my K&N air filter with a paper one, and the moose went away for 4 or 5 days, but now it's back. I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N but haven't re-installed it yet.

Is there a way to clean the IAC? I had to clean the TB not too long ago because the throttle was starting to get stuck in the closed position.

-james

99 SVT Contour
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Oh the duratecs no you can't clean the IAC. you have to buy a new one. The part costs around $70 from the dealer. You can't buy it from the autoparts store. Do the TH fix first before replacing it. Well good luck.

Irfan Rahim irfman2000@yahoo.com 2006 Blue Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Former owner of a silver 2000 Contour SE Sport ATX
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I had problems for months. after talking to a fellow CEGer' he gave me this idea. 3 foot insulated hose (i used braded for looks) with 7/8 opening. this picture is self explanitory. this 3 dollar fix REALLY WORX!!!!After 6 months of humming and being annoyed daily i knew there had to be an easier way than buying a new one or cleaning the IAC. I also heard if you clean the IAC the moosing gets worse.....which makes sence...ah........hope this helps

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
probably the IAC valve my car was moosing I got a new valve and presto moosing gone. Same thing happened to my friends cougar he replaced the valve also and it was gone.

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
J
OP Offline
J
If I buy a new IAC valve, is there any other parts I need
to replace at the same time? I've noticed the idle is a little unstable lately, so I think it's probably starting to fail.

-james

99 SVT Contour
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
My car is beginning to do the same thing, I'm going to try the $3 fix and see if it works, if not oh well. I have on question though what happened with the other connection that all joined before the IAC. Did you just get rid of them?
thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard