Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#669818 06/20/03 08:11 PM
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Hey all,
I am applying the niteshades coating on my 98. i've put two coats on now and its is running. first coat looked horrible. second is better. i am trying to coat lightly and evenly. should i remove the lamps form the car. i'm doing the reflective panel to. how do you remove it? i can remove the taillamps. maybe removed it will not run so bad. please help! THANX!

1998 Contour V6 se ATX Black Bassanni w/o resinators, modified intake box, DMD New headlights w/ silverstar 9005's, blue neons inside, metal waterpump, pioneer head, pioneer 5x7 3 ways,2 10" subs, 800w amp, 17x7.5 motegi mr12 p215/45/17
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
For the reflector I believe there are 6 10mm nuts that need to be removed. Just look at the inside of the trunk lid. It's pretty self explanatory once you get a good look at it. The tail lights are just as easy.

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
OK, I removed the lamps and the reflector and set them on the ground. I put two more light coats on and not much better. I need to know if i can let it completely dry and possibly wet-sand it it smooth out the bumps it has. I looks ok it just has bumps all over, mostly on bottom where it ran.
Can i wetsand it and then put one more coat on???
Please Help, Thanx alot!!!

1998 Contour V6 se ATX Black Bassanni w/o resinators, modified intake box, DMD New headlights w/ silverstar 9005's, blue neons inside, metal waterpump, pioneer head, pioneer 5x7 3 ways,2 10" subs, 800w amp, 17x7.5 motegi mr12 p215/45/17
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by 1998contourV6:
OK, I removed the lamps and the reflector and set them on the ground. I put two more light coats on and not much better. I need to know if i can let it completely dry and possibly wet-sand it it smooth out the bumps it has. I looks ok it just has bumps all over, mostly on bottom where it ran.
Can i wetsand it and then put one more coat on???
Please Help, Thanx alot!!!

This stuff is NOT ment to be sanded at all.

It sounds like what you have done so far is screwed.

So just start over. Wipe it all clean with laquer thiner.

Then take some 1000 grit sand paper and lightly sand the surface.

The first 4-5 coats will look like @ss.. Just make sure to put them on REALLY light, almost misting.

For the stuff to look good, you need a good 10 light coats.

Its really thin, and runs really easy, as you found out.

Dont worry about the light and dark area's.. After the 6th coat it should start to even out a bit.

1998 SVT (Black) 1995 TSi AWD Targa Top (Sold) 1996 CBR 900RR
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
thanx allenSVT,
I wet-sanded it with laquer and 400 grit(finest i could find) and got all 3 lites smooth. then quickly and lightly coated about 5 times and it looked good. I let it dry completely overnight and it looks fine, some minor imperfections still. So i took some glass wipes and wiped them all down too smooth out and clean dust. Then put them all on car. stood back and looks good
Looks like a Mustang or Camaro blackouts only lite shines through better.
P.S. i removed the sport and dealer stickers cuz they were both broken. it really cleaned up the rear.
-Last question? should i spray clearcoat over to shine it more and protect, can i get from the parts store in a spray can? Thanx for any advise!

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by 1998contourV6:
thanx allenSVT,
I wet-sanded it with laquer and 400 grit(finest i could find) and got all 3 lites smooth. then quickly and lightly coated about 5 times and it looked good. I let it dry completely overnight and it looks fine, some minor imperfections still. So i took some glass wipes and wiped them all down too smooth out and clean dust. Then put them all on car. stood back and looks good
Looks like a Mustang or Camaro blackouts only lite shines through better.
P.S. i removed the sport and dealer stickers cuz they were both broken. it really cleaned up the rear.
-Last question? should i spray clearcoat over to shine it more and protect, can i get from the parts store in a spray can? Thanx for any advise!

You would be testing the clear coat thing out probably for the first time. I did night shades on one of my talons about 3-4 years ago. And it still looks good.
If it starts to dull a little, just take some armerall and wipe it on. it brings out the shine a little.
wait for a couple weeks before you try that though.

Or if you have some plexi glass, try spraying some nightshades on it, and then some clear ontop, see if they are compatable or not.

CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
well i bought some duplicolor clearcoat and sprayed 3 light coats on all of them. let them dry Sat. nite. came out sunday morning and not shiny at all. very dark and even but it looks like its glazed or frosted. lights still look good through it. but in daylight it looks like dull black spray paint on back. i am thinking of giving up cause i am out of both cans and dont want to work on doing it all over.WILL PAINT LACQUER/THINNER REMOVE THE CLEARCOAT AND NITESHADES BY WIPING OFF. I AM THINKING I WILL GET PULLED OVER FOR THEM LOOKING TOO DARK. NEED SOME HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR PAINTING. thanx in advance.

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Laquer thinner will remove it. just use very little, and take your time so it doesnt eat the plastic.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
i [censored] up the same way ruined my cars paint cuz that [censored] doesn't come off your paint but if its on your lights buy some acetone and scrub it off and start over but lay them flat use somethin uder the parts to hold them parelle then spray back in fourth fast and let dry for a minute each time and put as many coats until its as dark as you want then put 3 coats of clear coat on and use rbbing compound after then was it will look awesome after i finally removed the stuff cuz the cops kept botherring me but it look awesome all the time hope that helps

2000 ford contour se sport v6 5spd mods: kkm intake tanebe exhaust muffler dynomax glass pk resonator jet performance chip painted rear refelctor/painted front grill bosch plt +4 all xenon super white bulbs
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by se contour 00:
i [censored] up the same way ruined my cars paint cuz that [censored] doesn't come off your paint but if its on your lights buy some acetone and scrub it off and start over but lay them flat use somethin uder the parts to hold them parelle then spray back in fourth fast and let dry for a minute each time and put as many coats until its as dark as you want then put 3 coats of clear coat on and use rbbing compound after then was it will look awesome after i finally removed the stuff cuz the cops kept botherring me but it look awesome all the time hope that helps

acetone on plastic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard