Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Instead of asking on here ask a certified mechanic what oil is better to run. Personally as an Automotive Tech student we are told never to run anything but the recomended oil. If it says to use 5W-30 then use it. If it says use 15W-30 then use that. Using anything else can cause damage to your engine.

Either I can smoke the hell out of all of u with my RSX or make it a close race with my tour.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Mark:
{snip}The M5 (redline 8k)requires Castrol synthetic 10-60 oil. Using 5-30 voids the warranty.
The A3,B3 oil specs called out in the owners manual of a 2002 VW 1.8 turbo Passat translates to Mobil-1 0-40 oil ONLY. 5-30 etc doesnt cut it. Penzoil tech responded to an info request and indicated the only oil in their lineup that passes these specs is Penzoil Syntheic 5-40.
I have seen recent posts indicating M1 0-40 is becoming the oil of choice for turbos. Must be an increase in demand during the past year - even Walmart now carries it here in NY.
I ran the last batch of 0-40 in my SE Sport for 12 months & 11.8k miles.{snip}

Great information to add.

Notice the first viscosity number in each listed.

0's, 5's, and a lone 10.

No 15 or 20's.

Why? It's much safer and offers the best protection at startup. Also much better flowability in all temp ranges.

Remember in a 15W50 or 20W50 the first grade/viscosity is rated at 0 degrees. So that means at 90-100 degrees (ambient temp) they both have considerably more viscosity. Around 27 & 33 respectively. That's pretty much using a straight 30 or worse at start up. Ouch.

Now what about hotter days or heat soak or underhood temps or...

Also a high viscosity oil will cause the oil pump to work harder (a byproduct of this is the false oil pressure inflation)
Another byproduct is the oil temperature is raised considerably.
Yet another after those is it actually delivers (flows) a lower volume of oil.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard