Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#658361 06/09/03 07:20 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I searched this, a lot of people seem to have success doing this from the top, I have a 3/8" drive wrench in there but there's no room to turn it, it barely moves before I run into something, any suggestions?

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I have the same problem. There is too much "stuff" above to be able to get a tool in there. I have been doing it from below.

If you can't do it from above, then you will either have to:

- Jack up the car, remove the tire & splash guard, and attack it from below

or

- Get a serpentine belt tool that has attachments (such as the Lisle LIS57900). I just got this tool and I am able to get to the tensioner by coming in sideways from under the motor mount (the serpentine tool is configured in an L shape).

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
For the sake of looking at all options:

I forgot to do a visual underhood inspection until the DAY BEFORE I was to make a 1200 mile move from TX to PA, driving the car myself (What can I say? Moving screws everything up). Checking the belt, what do I see? Many, many itty-bitty cracks with daylight shining through.

Had the dealer do it -- $108, in and out in 50 minutes.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I put a metal tube extention (piece of closet rod about an inch in diameter from Lowes)on my Craftsman ratchet. The flat Craftsman 3/8 ratchet fits. This let me relieve the tension from the top. You may need a metal rod with a "L" hook on end to help feed the new belt around the pulleys.
There is also a serpentine belt tool that Napa sells to help feed the belt around, since you can't get your hands down there. Takes some fussing. Good luck.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Originally posted by Drumbo:

I forgot to do a visual underhood inspection until the DAY BEFORE I was to make a 1200 mile move from TX to PA, driving the car myself (What can I say? Moving screws everything up). Checking the belt, what do I see? Many, many itty-bitty cracks with daylight shining through.

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT DOLLARS FOR A BELT!!!???

Black 98.5 SVT "Kellie" First rule of italian driving: What is behind you, DOESN'T matter
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Thanks, I forgot I made that post, I ended up jacking up the car, removing hte sheild and then ended up doing it from top anyways...I have little hands so it wasn't toooo bad, but I did get kinda scratched up.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Kevdogg410:

After having replaced the water pump and the serpentine belt myself, I'd rather do the pump!

Considering that the serpentine belt for the V6 costs $25 - $30, aftermarket and my local stealership charges close to $100/hr labor, I can see where it could cost $108 for parts & labor - not out of line for dealer work. Hell, they wanted ~$600, P&L to replace my radiator cooling fans - did it myself for $235 using new parts from fordpartsonline.com.

Kurt

'95 Contour SE, MTX, Champagne '03 EB Expedition, Med Wedgewood Blue
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Ford makes a "special tool." Me, I clamped vise grips to the socket and had no trouble releasing the tensioner from the top. Try it. Piece of cake.

1999 Grand Prix GTP, with mods. Former Ride: 1998 E1 CSVT, Silverfrost Wrecked 21 Dec 03. May she rest in peace.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Kevdogg410:
Originally posted by Drumbo:

Let's review:

$108 for the part, labor, and requiring only 50 minutes of my time the day before I was scheduled to leave Dallas.

Apparently, you've never experienced the joy of lining-up an interstate move and the process of working with the movers who do the job. Everything's on a timetable.

At T-Minus 1 day and with most of my stuff already on its way to PA in the moving van, $108 to R&R a serpentine belt that was on its last legs and looking like it could have snapped while en route to PA was a bargain.

There's price, and then there's value.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Supply and demand, the American way...

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard