Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Juanito Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a 1995 countour 24v. About a year ago the car died when I stopped at a red light. I brought it to three mechanic and nobody was able to figure out why because they couldn't get it to happen again. So They changed the computer and said it would be fine. The car was good for 6 months and then the exact same thing happened. I waited for a half a hour and the car started again. I took it to another mechanic and he still couldn't figure it out. He said that there was a wire touching something that might have been causing it to short and said that was probably what happened (since the car wouldn't die again). Now three months later it happened again. And this time it wouldn't restart so I called a tow truck. Is it time to change cars?

Thanks a lot,

Juan Mendes

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Need to get more info. on what has been done to the car.
Plugs, wires, EGR, IAC, MAF, air filter, etc..

I've got a 98 SVT seems to suffer the same.
Will it not restart immediately?
My SVT runs like a champ other than stalling like 1 in 1000 times. I've done almost everthing except clean the throttle body, EGR, IAC, MAF... Just replaced an O2 sensor also.

Are you getting any codes?

J
Juanito Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have never done anything to the car except install a remote starter. My first mechanic said it could have been the problem and suggeted to remove it. When I took it to the mechanic this last time the car was running fine by the time it had gotten to the shop.

One thing that I noticed is that this happens around the same time as my cruise control stops working. (It also stops working sporadically)

Juan Mendes

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Juanito:
I have never done anything to the car

Cars, especially older cars, require maintanence.

Aside from normal service items (from the owners service manual), there are many things to clean or replace to keep it in good running condition.

If the idle has been acting up, the IAC or a lean condition may be suspect.

If not, consider the engine wiring recall.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard