Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
E
my car is making a funny sound, its especially audible at idle. its sort of a humming sound, (not moosing, i've heard that before, and this isnt it) like theres extra air, or some escaping somewhere. it could be that cat recall i read about on the main page, but it doesnt really get louder when i open the throttle, which i would expect it to, cause theres more air escaping (if it is escaping air?) it does get a little bit higher in pitch if i get on the throttle, but its hard to tell, above about 2.5k its drowned about by the engine.

i recently (about one month ago) put in the throttle hang fix, i took it out today because i thought that might be causing the problem somehow, but the noise is still there. also, the first time i heard the noise the car was idleing really high, 1500 rpms instead of its usual +- 500. not sure if this is related? the high idle is intermittent though, its usually after spirited driving.

any ideas? (oh, 96 v6, mtx, 101k)

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
this may seem like a completely idiotic thing to say, but i had a similar problem once, and it was just that the air filter had somehow displaced itself a little bit. my uncle just straightened it out, secured the cover, and said he removed a few leaves that were also in there.. (?) and it was quiet afterwards.

1997 Contour SE
E
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
E
i hope thats all it is. ill take a look. oh and i just remembered; another thing that makes me think its not the cat: theres no loss of power, car pulls as strong as ever(and i love it!)

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
If you have aftermarket induction kit that's probably what you're hearing. K&N might have the same effect.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Eli:
my car is making a funny sound, its especially audible at idle. its sort of a humming sound

Well, instead of just letting it humm, teach it the words from now on..........hehehehehe, sorry, couldn't resist.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard