Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Just an FYI, I had been experiencing a loss of power over 4k RPM and thought that it was due to my pre-cats being bad(P0420). Had the manifolds replaced (under warranty ) and still had no pwer in the upper RPMs. It felt like the secondaries were not opening. So, I took the plastic cover off the engine and followed the IMRC cable, thinking that maybe it became disconnected. Well damned if I didn't see the problem right away. The linkage between the two banks of butterflies had come undone, on the bank 2 side (closest to the radiator). It looked like some sort of retainer was missing in the lever. Went down to local dealer and bought the retainer (part #F5RZ-9F955-AB) for 3.69 with tax. Put a loop of duct tape on the end of a flat head screwdriver, stuck the retainer to it and snapped it right into the lever. Snapped the linkage in and went for a drive. SO much better! now it's pulling like it's supposed to above 4k RPM!

I just did a search using that part number, found six posts. Sorry, searched before buying the part but didn't know what to call it or the PN! Oh well, Not like it's a subject that's been beat to death! Makes me wonder how many people paid a dealer hundreds of $$ to fix this!

'99 SE Sport, Duratec ATX(I'm lazy) No mods, still love it! I have speed mud!
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Good to know! Nice to have a P/N readily available...

-Jeff -"Buck Futter!!" My Ride! http://members.sounddomain.com/sideoftheroad
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Someone else just posted about the same problem, drfate?? I get so excited when I can actually HELP someone here !

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Does anyone think this could have had something to do with my pre-cats going bad? Thinking logically, if the bank2 secondaries were not opening, under hard acceleration, all of that air/fuel had to go somewhere? Which would have been down the bank1 secondaries; which just happens to be the pre-cat that went bad! Am I way off base? Lets see: air enters through filter to MAF, then to TB, through intake runners, and into LIM. This is where I get stuck, as I have never torn down my UIM/LIM (But I wanna !). Are there butterflies on the primaries? I don't think there are, but what do I know?! Do the injectors sit in the LIM between the primaries and secondaries? If that is the case, then with half my secondaries not working, all that bank1 was receiving was way more air than it needed? I just don't know! Sounds like a good excuse to buy a torque wrench and parts and disassemble/clean the UIM/LIM! Now, how to get it to fly with the wife!

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
How would I go about checking to see if my secondaries are working or not? In all honesty I don't even know where they are even located. This is my first car that has a set of secondaries.

Thanks,

O3

Parts theory: "Run them til you bust them, and then upgrade" 2000 Svt Black/Tan H&R Springs B&M Short Throw Intake w/K&N
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
With the engine running look just under the TB for a small connecting rod, rev the engine up quickly and you will see the rod move. This is the secondaries opening from the IRMC box on the front of the engine.

Just as a footnote though, if i rev mine up slowly the 2ndarys will not kick in until 5000rpm or above, if its done quickly then they open pretty much Ok. I also figure that there is a heat build up issue in the IRMC if you have an older car. Has anyone moved this box of tricks to elsewhere in the engine bay to combat heat build up issues?

UK Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6, All the Toys, UIM Cover, Modded Secondaries. Now with Full Leather
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by OutOfOrder:
How would I go about checking to see if my secondaries are working or not? In all honesty I don't even know where they are even located. This is my first car that has a set of secondaries.

Thanks,

O3

I can feel mine opening, and you can probably feel yours too. At full throttle they open at about 3200 RPM IIRC, and otherwise at about 4000 RPM. If you accelerate with just enough throttle to slightly gain speed just under 4000 RPM you will feel the power come in as they open. It will not be earth shattering, but it will feel as though you increased the throttle even though you held it steady.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by A1exward:
I also figure that there is a heat build up issue in the IRMC if you have an older car. Has anyone moved this box of tricks to elsewhere in the engine bay to combat heat build up issues?

Ya know, I took off the plastic engine cover, the cover over the IMRC, about three years ago to change water pump and never put it back on. Changed plugs last month and thought about putting it back on, but didn't. I bet that thing retains some heat and keeps the IMRC from cooling a little bit more.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I checked my linkage and it moves just fine when I open the throttle with my hand. Do I have to turn the car on to check it? My car is rev limited at 4K anyway. There is some oil in my UIM due to a broken valve cover gasket and that has been replaced. Is there anything else that may be causing this problem(same as described above....no power when you stomp on the gas and it bucks like it's rev limited?

Neil

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by nkahrim:
I checked my linkage and it moves just fine when I open the throttle with my hand. Do I have to turn the car on to check it? My car is rev limited at 4K anyway. There is some oil in my UIM due to a broken valve cover gasket and that has been replaced. Is there anything else that may be causing this problem(same as described above....no power when you stomp on the gas and it bucks like it's rev limited?

Neil

The secondaries are controlled by the computer and open when the revs reach above a certain RPM. (Around 3800) The engine needs to be running to test them but you can see the linkage move down on the LIM when the RPMs go above the 3800. Most tours are rev limited to 6750, but ATXs will only rev to 4K when in park or neutral. (Transmission anti-grenade safety logic built into the PCM...) FWIW, an ATX should rev to 6200-6400 on a WOT 1-2 and 2-3 shift. (Sure have a cup of coffee, we've got time... )

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard