Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#607513 04/18/03 08:00 PM
X
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
X
Hey, im going to be painting my car starting in like two weeks when school lets out. I think im going to try in my garage also, and i have some HEPA filters that i can run at full blast to try and get the dust out while i am masking off everything. Im going to go from midnight red (its old color) to a black so if i screw up and the midnight red shows through a little it wont look too bad because midnight red is so dark. I'll get an HVLP spray gun, and im planning on spraying acrylic enamel base, then an acrlyc enamel clear, both from http://www.paintforcars.com because thats the cheapest, i could find. I've never done any sort of car paint before so if anyone has any ideas that could help me out I would appreciate it a lot.

PS i have a buddy who's good with cars who wants to take off all the bumpers and quarter panels and everything we can to paint them. Is this a good idea?

1995 Mercury Mystique GS V6 MTX Pioneer 6x8s in front, Pioneer 10's in back 1200 watts powering it all KKM intake SVT Exhaust Swapped out resonator for Glasspack Mobil 1 Brand New!! Giant scratch on front bumper and right side!! Yes!!!
#607514 04/18/03 08:05 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by XTheTigerX:

PS i have a buddy who's good with cars who wants to take off all the bumpers and quarter panels and everything we can to paint them. Is this a good idea?

that is a good idea

1999 SVT black And a Blond Haired Blue eyes girlfriend. How can it get any better?
#607515 04/19/03 12:00 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Bumpers yes, fenders no, leave them on. You will never match the orange peel if you do them seperate. The fender will not look like it belongs next to the door. BTW, black is the WORST color for showing dings, and any body waviness.

Jim

Originally posted by XTheTigerX:
Hey, im going to be painting my car starting in like two weeks when school lets out. I think im going to try in my garage also, and i have some HEPA filters that i can run at full blast to try and get the dust out while i am masking off everything. Im going to go from midnight red (its old color) to a black so if i screw up and the midnight red shows through a little it wont look too bad because midnight red is so dark. I'll get an HVLP spray gun, and im planning on spraying acrylic enamel base, then an acrlyc enamel clear, both from http://www.paintforcars.com because thats the cheapest, i could find. I've never done any sort of car paint before so if anyone has any ideas that could help me out I would appreciate it a lot.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
#607516 04/19/03 04:13 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Black is also the hardest color to spray IMO. Considering that nothing looks worse than something done wrong and that you probably don't have much expriance I would advise against it. Do all the prep work and masking work, buy the supplies and PAY someone at a smaller shop to spray it in their booth.

I've painted a bunch of cars and would offer any help I can if you choose to go ahead and spray it yourself.

Things to remember about owning a black car-
(1) Never stays clean for long
(2) Doesn't take much at all to look dirty
(3) Shows every imperfection in the body work/paint damage/ clear coat damage/ swirls/ scratches/ect much more than any other color
(4) Nothing looks better when totally clean! But grab a camera and snap some pics, because it won't stay that way for long.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#607517 04/21/03 04:51 PM
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Good luck

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
#607518 04/21/03 05:18 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
be sure you sand really well. it would really suck have it chip at a later date. also be sure its a pretty warm day so the clearcoat lays flat. and let each coat of clearcoat sit about 15 mins or until its 'tacky'; and when i say tacky i mean if you put your finger into the clearcoat and pull away its somewhat dry but it strings to your fingers. be sure you use a tach cloth too once the paint is dry to get rid of the dust. these are just a few things i could think of.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
#607519 04/21/03 08:20 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
OK, say the whole car is in perfect shape (no scratches/ chips/dents) you can prep, wet sand fully with 400 and 600 grit and skip the sealer primer and go straight to base coat. You'd have to make sure you have very good and even coverage to make sure you don't see any of the red peeking out from under the black. This is a low cost alternative, and would need to be done perfect for it to turn out well. To make sure everything went well you might as well spray a black sealer primer. If you do use the sealer primer, most of them will cover 400 grit scratches so that means less sanding.

I would advise against spraying the clear shile it's still tacky. That means it's still releasing the solvents, so you could end up with fish eyes or worse. Spray when it is dry enough to where you can wipe it down with the tack cloth without messing anything up. In a spray booth that could be less than 15 minuets. Remember you aren't trying to do it in one coat!!!! That is the biggest mistake people make!Also go look at a few auto body supply stores and tell them what you are doing. Let them know cost is an issue, but you want good material to spray. They might be able to beat the prices or some close with a better paint/clear.

Last edited by Swazo; 04/21/03 08:28 PM.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#607520 04/21/03 08:58 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
is it cheaper to repaint a black car if you're car is already black? Do u still have to sand, etc.?? Just wondering, it's been 6 years, and those Michigan winters I endured are indelible, I feel like I need to get her repainted. . .

#607521 04/21/03 10:29 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Swazo:
Black is also the hardest color to spray IMO.

I dissagree. White is the hardest to spray in a well lit spraybooth. You get what I call "snowblind" you simply cannot follow your succesive passes of the gun as easily as the reflection is unbealivable. Black is very easy to "follow your last pass" and maintain good flow, overlap, and keep it wet enough to reduce orange-peel. That said, having owned 3 black cars over the years, I will never own a black anything again! I paint a lot of black (motorcycles) and white (aircraft) and prefer painting dark colors any day. Thats my $.02

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
#607522 04/22/03 02:46 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
it's always going to be easier to repaint the same color. you can skiop the door,hood and trunk jams. You still have to prep and sand what you spray though.

I agree with white being harder to spray, my Grand Cherokee was a PITA to spray for the reasons you stated. I was thinking about how much black shows any imperfections.......you're right though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard