Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I left work yesterday and was in the parking garage. I turned the car on, let it run for about 20-30 seconds, and put the A/C in the "on" (not "max") position to run it for a few minutes.

Immediately, the idle began what I would call a "surge and settle" cycle. The RPM's would bump up to around 1,750 for about 1 second, then slowly settle back down to the "normal" 900 or so. The idle would rest at about 900 RPM's for 4 or 5 seconds, then bump up to 1,750 again and the whole cycle would repeat.

Once I left the parking garage, and was out driving, I could feel that intermittent surge even while the car was in gear - it was most pronounced when I was coasting in 2nd gear towards a red light - I could feel the car surge forward as the "bump" occurred. 4 or 5 seconds later, I would feel a surge again.

As soon as I turned the A/C off, the problem disappeared.

Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanks in advance for your ideas.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red Production #4794 of 6535 Build date: 2/25/1998
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
sounds normal. the compressor places a load on the engine, and as it cycles on and off, the load is thus removed/replaced.

Edit:

the "low" setting of your ac allows for shorter cycles of the ac, thus less cooling power, but shorter intervals of the "surges" you described.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
This is normal and occurs when the AC or defrost is on.

I hate it. Good thing I dont have to use my defroster much.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
It's normal for the A/C to to load the engine down, but it should not cycle that short unless it's fairly cold out. You are probably low on freon.

The idle should not change that much. Either the IAC is not responding well, or your idle mixture is near the limit.

If you have had no CEL's, you could try cleaning the IAC, MAF, and fuel injectors. Make sure the secondaries are closed at idle. Make sure the PCV is good and there are no disconnected or leaking hoses on the intake system.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
... You are probably low on freon.

you are most likely low on R-134a coolant. Mine leaked down last summer and when the AC was on I could feel the surge as the system cut off and then back on. you can get a test kit with a can of R-134a(will proper mix of oil and has leak stop), valve, hose and pressure guage.

I put that 14 oz can in and it took it all, the AC imeadietly became much colder and the surge went. When driving today I noticed it again, I have to find the leak. they sell can that have the UV die in them also

read this thread , might help some

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Quote:

The RPM's would bump up to around 1,750 for about 1 second, then slowly settle back down to the "normal" 900 or so. The idle would rest at about 900 RPM's for 4 or 5 seconds, then bump up to 1,750 again and the whole cycle would repeat.

That kind of surge is definitely not normal. I had a similar problem over the winter with the defrost, which also runs the a/c compressor. Dealer replaced the IAC, and problem seemed to go away, it came back one nite for some reason and then went away again. I try not to use the a/c, or def. at all, but if i get it with the A/C this summer I have heard from numerous people that the A/C needs to be recharged so that's my next step, even tho the IAC helped tremendously, so I would try those two things.

1. Recharge A/C
2. IAC

Lemme know how it works out.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard