Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
You know, not to sound like an a-hole, but after reading who started this post, and reading his comments on the geek.com site, it is no wonder deanku32 and I butt heads. First was the hollywood thread, and now this. I am a realist, who is an American because I am not quite deluded yet. I still love this country, and with all it's BS, it is the best country in the whole wide world...EVER. Deanku is unrealistic. Something has made him cynical, he would like to hate this country, but it is really a hate for GWB and the GOP and corporations. Anybody who hates on those three, is cool to him.

About the link. The guy broke the law, he is punished. However, I think that the punishment was really quite hard. It seems that this country loves busting software pirates and potheads, but cares little about child molesters. This guy got more time than most of them do. That is plain wrong. Molesters have harmed another human being, and this guy made a crooked buck. WTF? See, yet another reason to get involved in politics. Work hard to get people into office who you think will work the best for this greatest of all nations. It is never easy, but worth the try. We need common sense. Take it easy everyone.

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The chips themselves are not illegal. Again, if they were, there would not be a place right here in NYC with a storefront where they sell chips and even install them for you!!! It's what you do with them that is illegal. And it's not illegal to modify your console either. It's illegal to modify it AND play pirated software on it. If that guy got busted for selling chips, it's cause he was selling them pre-burned.

Originally posted by auiotour:
I read a little more in depth after I wrote that. From what I had understood at the time. That is what i thought he was getting in trouble for. I read more and see that Mod chips that are sold in the US are illegal.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

The chips themselves are not illegal. Again, if they were, there would not be a place right here in NYC with a storefront where they sell chips and even install them for you!!!

It's illegal to sell drug paraphenalia in the state of Texas too, but I can go buy a bong in a head shop right down the street. It's illegal to sell sex toys here too, but I can buy those right down the street near the head shop.

Just because something is "illegal" doesn't mean it's actively enforced.

Now, with the Playstation, things kind of are "legal". But Microsoft, since it uses a propietary BIOS software, built legal protection into it's system:

Direct from Microsoft:

"Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system is strictly prohibited"

ModChips modify and reverse engineer the BIOS software of a console, which is illegal under the user agreement. Further distribution is also illegal.

If it's legal, someone better tell the manufacturers of just base chips that Microsoft has already had shutdown, sued, and in some cases imprisoned people for like Lik Sang.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Quote:

"Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system is strictly prohibited"

Exactly...this is exactly the reason why YOU GET BUSTED if you sell the chips BURNED with a BIOS already on them. Blank chips ARE NOT ILLEGAL. And when you have a store like that in NYC, if it were illegal they would have been shut down a long time ago.

Anybody selling chips with a BIOS on them are asking for trouble...

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
Quote:

Exactly...this is exactly the reason why YOU GET BUSTED if you sell the chips BURNED with a BIOS already on them. Blank chips ARE NOT ILLEGAL. And when you have a store like that in NYC, if it were illegal they would have been shut down a long time ago.

Now why would anyone want to buy a MOD Chip that doesn't have anything on it. 99% of the population or more, wouldn't know how to burn a set of bio's onto it. There would have to be detail instructions in great lengths for people to do it. That is just stupid. I am sure there is, but every MOD i have bought for any of my systems, has always came with bio's burned in.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Honestly, it's nobody's business what you are going to do with it. I understand where you are going, but it's the same as outlawing guns cause you can shoot someone in the face with it. Politics. And yes there is lots of info about burning evolution x on to the chips. It's public information, open source and "for educational purposes only."

Quote:

Now why would anyone want to buy a MOD Chip that doesn't have anything on it. 99% of the population or more, wouldn't know how to burn a set of bio's onto it. There would have to be detail instructions in great lengths for people to do it. That is just stupid. I am sure there is, but every MOD i have bought for any of my systems, has always came with bio's burned in.

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Honestly, it's nobody's business what you are going to do with it. I understand where you are going, but it's the same as outlawing guns cause you can shoot someone in the face with it. Politics. And yes there is lots of info about burning evolution x on to the chips. It's public information, open source and "for educational purposes only."

Quote:

very true. LOL, they should stop selling CD and DVD burners, cause you might burn CDs or DVDs, lol, They need to just STFU already. Let the guy make his buck.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
damn talk about a punishment! i think they went a little overboard with that!

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
damn talk about a punishment! i think they went a little overboard with that!

They went way overboard. Hey if anyone wants to commit a crime, just as long as it doesn't involve a big company somewhere alone the line, don't worry you won't get to much jail time. lol.

I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
you get less time for selling crack!

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard