Next Thread
Print Thread
#593173 04/02/03 11:35 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
So I am riding through Tupelo, come up to an intersection and see this black CSVT go buy! There is no way in the world I am going to miss this one! I have missed three so far in the past two months.

So anyway, I catch up to the SVT and see that it does not have a tag... hum! I check for a dealer decal and see a Columbus, MS dealer decal on the trunk lid. This let me know that the car was owned by someone that did not care about what they had or did not know any better... huumm! I also notice that it is dirty as hell, but it is in good shape (no dents or scratches) and there is this nasty gold pin stip down the side of it... hummm ! I have never seen an SVT with a pin strip. So I grab the cell phone and try to call Neal. He knew a guy that had a black SVT where he used to go to school, but I notice an Ole Miss decal in the rear window just above the third stop light... hhuummm! Then all of sudden it turns into a used car lot. No Way!! I have to make the block and scramble back through an ally way and then I see parked in front of the car lots office. I pull in and decide that I have to go ask.

The man driving the car steps out and gets into another car and drives off. JackPot!!! I walk up to the office and ask about the car. He tells that they are asking for $6500. It is a 98 (I am thinking it is a 98.5, but for 6500 who the hell cares!!!) and only has 66k miles on it. I ask if I can look at the car closer and the gentlemen tells me that it is unlocked and the keys are in it. I ask to take it for a spin and he says, "Yeah sure, I'll get in the passengers side." It seemed to drive pretty decent, but it needs plugs and wire bad! I was not exactlly drop jawed by the power. I also noticed that in 3rd gear, there was a hesitation. Felt that it was related to the old plugs and wires, but not positive. The guy riding with me said that sometimes it is worse. More like a quick stall. After getting back to the car lot, I pop the hood and man was it nasty!! I saw a brand new radiator and A/C condenser right off. I looked under the car and found the oil pan covered in oil. It was actually dripping off! I found some damage to the lower grill mesh (not a big deal since it would be replaced with real mesh anyway!) and quickly came to the conclusion that something went through the mesh and punctured the condenser and radiator. I voiced concern that there might be more serious damage to the engine since there is signs of an overheating event. He would not budge on the price stating that it was below book (no crap man!) and he has a mechanic that was going to take a look at it today and then he would put it on the lot. I think the car actually started crying at this point!!

Of course everything is completely stock. Just thought that I would share with anyone that would interested in an SVT for $6500!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#593174 04/03/03 01:37 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
That's not a bad deal, if the body and interior are still in good shape. The messed up oil pan etc., couldn't those be replaced a la junkyard?

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#593175 04/03/03 01:50 AM
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Hey my brother selling hes SVT in chattanooga, Its a 98 with 5*,*** miles dont know exact it is completely stock and has been repainted not to long ago dont know exaclty when it was painted, but the paint and interior are in really good shape. He is asking 9500 for anybody that might want it.

#593176 04/03/03 03:57 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
That's not a bad deal, if the body and interior are still in good shape. The messed up oil pan etc., couldn't those be replaced a la junkyard?

Actually you could probably fix it by way of a good oil pan gasket. The only thing that would scare me, like I mentioned to the salesman, was that if my theroy of the "rock through radiator" did happen (a sudden overheat condition) - there is a chance that it would also need possibly main seals. There was quit a lot of oil down there, but again I am not real sure. The car still seems to have that "pull" to it, just needs some help getting out from under the pillows, so to speak.

But again, for $6500... who the hell cares! I know that sounds stupid, but still. There was no water in the oil and you could tell that it was in need of an oil change. I did look through the hole of the oil feeler cap and did not see any signs of gunk or anything. Dipstick was free of discolorastion. So I am pretty sure there is not head or block damage. You can also tell that they have not been touched. I noticed that when the secondaries opened, there was some slight pinging going on, but that could be fixed by cleaning the UIM/LIM and replacing their gaskets.

I came home and told my wife about it and she just about died! She hates to admit it, but she loves these cars just as much as I do. Driving Neals SVT, about 3 months ago, just ran that home for her. She told me that even if she did get it, I would take it from her again. Long story that can wait for the meet ( ). I told her I wouldn't, but I would ask for the keys everyday when I got home from work!

Sadly though, there is no way in the world we could afford another car payment right now. We are planning to get mine paid off a few months early. That is why I am posting about it here. I would hate to see someone else get it because they will be upside down in in 6 months trying to get it running just right.

Hey! Maybe I could go back tomorrow and tuck a little note under one of the seats about our site. That way we will all know that it will be taken care of.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#593177 04/03/03 05:16 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I want an SVT. Just have to win the lotto first.

'95 GL White I've got mods.
#593178 04/04/03 12:49 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
You know Heather, SVT badges are only ~15 bucks off ebay! Wait, then all the SVT guys will be and you thought you were but then you'll be .

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#593179 04/04/03 04:49 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
You know Heather, SVT badges are only ~15 bucks off ebay! Wait, then all the SVT guys will be and you thought you were but then you'll be .

I have an SVT badge that is sitting in a box somewhere that I took of the trunklid I got for worldtour I'd sell it for less than that

2003 Subaru WRX some mods Even if you don't have the answer, you certainly have to admire the problem. aka ZetecRacing

Moderated by  Lee_dup2, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard