Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56312 03/20/02 03:05 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello there. I am new to the forum. I have a 95 Contour LX V6 and was wondering if it is very hard to change the sparkplugs myself. I ask because I looked under the hood and couldn't find where they were. They weren't very obvious to spot. The auto shop says it costs $70 to do this?!?!?!? How difficult is it and are there "simple" directions.

Thank you

metallic willow green 95 contour V6 ATX.
K&N Air Filter
Hoodliner removed
Remove Resonator soon.
Dynomax/Magnaflow Muffler soon.
#56313 03/20/02 03:45 PM
R
R
Not sure if this will help, but I know how to get to them on my Zetec model. I'm guessing they should be pretty similar.

On my car, there's a plastic plate that says Zetec. There's also about 8-10 bolts holding it on. When I take that off, there's 4 plug caps. These are a LITTLE hard to get off; I'd suggest doing it when your engine is cool, because you have to twist them a bit to get them off and you don't want to burn the fingers. :p Don't be afraid to pull, and make sure you have a spark plug socket. If your plugs are still in good condition, they should be a tan color. If they've got white or black deposits, that could mean you're running too rich or may have other issues.

Hope this helps!

#56314 03/20/02 03:58 PM
D
D
It is not that difficult on the Duratec. You will have to remove the plastic cam cover on the front bank and remove/loosen (trying to remember here) the IAC valve and coil pack in the rear. I did it about 2 years ago (my memory is a bit fuzzy), takes a couple of hours.
A few suggestions:
- make sure the engine is cool, not only for your hands, but also to minimizing galling of the spark plug threads.
- clean cam covers with degreaser or blow off w/compressed air to minimize the possibility of dirt falling into spark plug holes and threads.
- A good assortment of ratchets and extensions will help especially locking ones. A short flex ratchet worked well for me for the rear bank.
- Search the posts here for brand recommendations of plugs. I like the Bosch Platinum +4s.
- put a light coating of silicone grease inside the plug boots when done......Good luck!

Dan B.
#56315 03/20/02 05:33 PM
A
A
There is a pretty good how-to somewhere in the FAQs. It should help you out a bit.

'98 Contour LX-White
2.5L ATX
73,250 miles
KKM Tru-Rev / FMS Wires & Bosch +4s
19mm BAT rear swaybar

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard